Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I thought the Merson interview was riveting, very raw and great insight into the mind of an addict.

Really resonated with me.

The Lady at the end was very interesting too, great faith and a great outlook on life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yes, I'm of a vintage that remembers Merson as an Arsenal player and remember when it broke about his problems. Also, he plays the batz a bit on Sky but none of that last night. It was honest, raw and you could see it was emotional. I really thought it was one of the best interviews I've seen and I don't really like Tiernan much. Merse was brilliant and I'm sure he came across as an example for others, who might be struggling like he does, that might have been watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭appledrop

I just watched it there on player, outstanding interview.

Fair play to him being so honest about the effect on his family, too often with addicts all about them and doesn't show what happens to family.

I nearly fell off the chair when Tommy said 'No one in a house can get better until addict leaves'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well the amazing interview was followed up with two absolute dopes full of absolute waffle.

Enjoyed the last interview, the 'normal' person interview is usually so interesting.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Surprised Merson is only 55, thought he was early sixties, the way he described his addictions sounded horrible, just shows you can have all the money in the world and still be f*cking miserable.

The Mick Flannery song sounded a bit like a Springsteen tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Really enjoyed Tommy's first guest, never heard of him before.

Whats so good about this kind of show, and Tommy's interview style and genuine interest in the person in front of him, is telling these real life, hard, brushed under the carpet topics and taboos.

It tells those who are suffering out there, ur not the only one. Comparing similar experiences to all those.effected by addiction...its a kind of comfort. That honestly is so important. Its showing the ugly side of.life and how others experience it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

A very mixed bag this season so far- some superb interviews and guests but a lot of poor guests / interviews too - consistency of quality was far better in past seasons - might be coming to the end of the road of this format but I’ve enjoyed it overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Sick of seeing these 2 hot house flowers on every tv show doing the rounds now. And the tune they played whatever u wud call it was total horse sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭taratee

The Merson interview was outstanding. Have seen him on Sky Sports. Was shocked and saddened to hear that he is still struggling. I wish him all the best. The second interview was dreadful. Would have been much better if they cancelled that interview and extended the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Where was the fella from, I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭ottolwinner

The story is more to inform of the consequences rather than entertain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Tommy seems to be finding it hard to get his head around getting tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,681 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That was just a small specific detail in a story about something much bigger…

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I remember hearing about Magic Johnson having to retire from basketball after he was diagnosed with HIV, everyone thought he would be dead in six months.

She looks a bit like Sinead O Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,036 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was a great interview. Such an amazing Women and lucky too that she can still live a relatively normal life thankfully. In the 80s that would have been a death sentence. It's amazing how far we have come and yet we as humans still have such much to do.

I am not sure which is worse do cancer or HIV but thinking about it I suppose it depends on the cancer. Some could be worse than HIV and some not as bad

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Absolute spoofer! Another pretentious comedian, my least favourite type of interview.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 31,681 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fair enough, just pointing out it’s not at all about her talking about her sex life, as your post read, it’s about her giving information on an illness.

Fair play to her coming on talking in public about something so personal, just to potentially help people anyway.

• Advertisement

Another comedian pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭standardg60

Dermot going down the David Icke road, semi celebrity stardom gone to his head.

Tommy clearly thinks he's a charlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭John arse

Does Dermot know Jim Corr I wonder?🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 16,036 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

2nd interview was boring. Lets hope 3 is better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Advertisement