Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

And you won't find many Liverpool fans saying they will win the league. Arsenal fans not saying they will win does not in any way take away from an opinion that they won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

If both Liverpool & Arsenal can beat City next month, it’s going to set up a great run in.

Yes it would. But it's winning the games in between to make the City games as important as that.

For example, Arsenal travel to West Ham next, I expect the Hammers to take something off them. They will improve from their display today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Carragher going on about the celebrations as if Klopp never celebrates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

He's the only manager allowed to celebrate sure, don't you know it means more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Do Arsenal players ever get booked for dissent?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Klopp saying the game could've ended 1-1 because of how the second goal was scored. Has he forgotten they got the equaliser without a shot on target so it deserved to be 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Is City's game in hand against Brentford? Hard to see them drop points in Feb given their fixtures.

March seems like a massive month with City playing United,Pool & Arsenal.

Was an enjoyable game today thought it was going to end 2-2 after Arsenal got that goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why have so many managers made themselves unlikeable characters. All this running mad, punching the air etc. Making it all about them. Ego's on them!

And sky commentary. Talk about hyperbole. All the prepared lines, guy up all night writing them.

• Advertisement

No. It’s home to Luton I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Robbie Savage put all of the anti celebration police from Pool back in their boxes on the 5 Live phone in..he used the Klopp pitch raid vs Everton as an example of Pool double standards on that. It was hilarious to hear the silences when he asked them about why that was different.

I tend to watch the game on Sky and turn it off after the final whistle. It limnits the hyperbole to some extent.

I like managers to show passion and feelings - it's one of the reasons why so many opposing fans admire Klopp.

Not sure they feel the same about Arteta as he goes hyperbole about every throw in, every decision, every tackle. Klopp only goes hyperbole I reckon 20% in comparison to Arteta. Klopp also stays in his area more than he goes out of it, the opposite is true for Arteta.

But fans of either club would not view their manager as unlikeable characters - only fans of clubs that are not in the mix I reckon or maybe that would hope their manager showed a little more passion maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

There are no real saving graces from Arteta though. Klopp steps over the line, frequently enough actually, but there is a humour and a charm from him when he's not being a complete ar5ehile. Arteta has none of that, at least publically, and besides, he's won nothing as a manager to back it up.

Same. Why on earth any Liverpool fan would want to listen to Roy Keane and Gary Neville analyse Liverpool is beyond me. It’s all a big pantomime.

In fairness you can add Carra to that list as he is part of the hyperbole.

Klopp not a fan of the decisions today

“A lot of things went against us”.

“This referee gave me red card against City for wrestling situation - Bernardo & Salah”.

“Today same with Jota that didn’t get a red card. Unbelievable”.

“Holding by Havertz on Konate… Gabriel did same with Nunez, no yellow card”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

'Salah you little dancer' a very unbiased line of commentary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A manager who celebrates is loved by the fans but it's also good for the team. When he's celebrating or giving out about decisions the whole squad sees him as one of them. So when he tells them at training that it's them versus the world or starts building them up for a big game it's likely they are all in because he's shown that he's all in.

I think anybody criticising managers celebrating needs to stand back for a moment and weigh up the advantages vs the negative benefits of a manager celebrating a goal. For me it's a whole lot better for the club.

I would agree but personally I would view Klopp as a manager who is all in all the time but doesn't show it All the time. Quite often he just stands there, hands in pockets with an ironic smile on his face.

Arteta seems to be fully wound up from the first whistle - it's a little bit much and loses its effect somewhat when your face goes red as a result of Every single decision during a game - fine for the big decisions/events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

To summarise:

My team's manager does it, it's ok

Opposition team's manager does it, it's not ok

To sum up, one manager does it sometimes, one manager does it all the time.

If you can't see the very clear difference, fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Arteta was bred to be a mini-Pep hence the constrant histrionics

True - not sure why, but it seems more 'entertaining' when Pep does it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I can accept Arteta is bad, but if you think Klopp isn't in the same ballpark you may need your eyes checked. He's constantly giving it to the fourth official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

They looked rubbish today. Doesn't mean they weren't as rubbish another day. Liverpool looked lost till the second half. No Mo or Nunez made them easy to play against.

Arsenal gave their all but they were nothing special. Had Liverpool bothered to turn up, perhaps we'd have seen a different side of them, perhaps not. But if that's the best they can do, they'll not be troubling City (who still have 2 games in hand, so they might soon be the 2nd and 3rd teams).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Trying to remember the last time I seen Carlo Ancelloti running up the line or punching the air like a madman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Thought odegaard was faultless today. Didn’t even notice Jorginho other than histrionics but the stats back up him as MotM so I don’t know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Carlo is old school, he must be 30 years managing teams by now. He played under the legendary Arrigo Sacchi and Fabio Capello. That's where he learned how to act on a sideline. You never seen Alex Ferguson or Arsenal Wenger celebrating either.

The world moves on and things change. You have to move with the times. What was a great way to do things 20 years ago is the wrong way to do it now.

When I was young players kicked lumps out of each other and if it wasn't a serious assault the referee would get stick for giving a free kick.

So these days lots of managers celebrate goals and give out about most decisions against their team. I think it's good for team bonding. I may be wrong but we won't know that until it's going on for a decade or more or some new better way to act comes along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Which has to be put in context of that game which came after 90 mins of constant sly digs by Gary Neville & Martin Tyler. It was a retaliation to them. I'm no fan of Carragher on commentatory but it's important to note that. Another reason to dislike Sky really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Great performance by arsenal, poor by Liverpool, could klopps decision to announce his step down (talk a out ego) effect senior players performances, senior players looked like they have given up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Seems we’re not allowed celebrate winning games anymore.

Same ridiculous mentality with all underage games now also.

We really have gone soft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The senior Liverpool players looked like they had given up midweek alright.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Kalvin Phillips has been directly involved in the concession of 2 goals in his 2 West Ham appearances. That he is even on Southgate's radar in the first place is bonkers, but he's also seemingly forgot how to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Best performance of the season 4 days ago against Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Everything is relative,wolves beating them at home indicates they are shite at moment, Liverpool beating them at anfield ,meh , but small margins etc so I wouldn't over analyze it,knock it ,it was a good result .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Wrong thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Oh ok, maybe the senior players have given up so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Is this the same Alex Ferguson that famously celebrated along the sideline when Bruce scored that late winner?

I saw Fergie celebrate plenty of times. He had plenty to celebrate after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Arteta knew it was a must win and he got the result so I wouldn’t begrudge him a little celebration. There’s plenty to dislike about Arteta, but let him celebrate. I found what Odegaard was doing though very strange after the final whistle. s a Carragher says, you won the game, now get off the pitch! The trick for Liverpool and/or Arsenal now will be to win the next 5 games in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Like Carragher's Liverpool who do a lap of honour and have Klopp doing his clap thing? The celebration police is just tiresome. It also doesn't really make sense for Sky to do it, trying to downplay the importance of winning a game doesn't really fit Sky's narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Arsenal dominated Liverpool and it was a massive win and the stadium atmosphere came across great on telly, why wouldn’t they celebrate? Odegaard with the camera was a bit cringey but who cares (bar Carragher it seems)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

arseanl do as they expected and believed, they do as you say. a little celebration.

Tbf that goal basically gave us our first league title in 26 years and was scored in the 97th minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

We can't have lads getting any enjoyment out of these big moments, can we? The Craic police have to clamp down on anyone getting any craic out of the sport, the game ought to be a sanitized borefest really.

It all started back in Victorian times when lads started shaking hands and clapping each other on the back after scoring a goal, then the foreigners started kissing each other on the cheeks and hugging, now lads jumping up and down after winning what they see as a big game they targeted and needed a result in..... Where will it all end I ask you???

Next thing they'll be allowing women to play the game ffs!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Remember Klopp brought the whole Liverpool team out to the pitch to celebrate a 2-2 draw with West Brom?

Carragher and people who are upset by a team celebrating a win really need to stop been so salty. If a team can’t celebrate a win then what is sport all about???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement