Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭slay55

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

How did the protesters and arsonists know the site might possibly be earmarked for asylum seekers btw? Local politicians say they had no knowledge of the plans before today....is somebody tipping the protesters off?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Yeah but think of all the bustling exotic restaurants and their delivery riders, small price to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭abozzz

I faul to see the confusion and or condemnation of these buildings being burned.

A country increasingly stricken with capacity crises due to unprecedented population arriving from abroad, in the vacuum of political action or political choice, is going to do what, exactly? Lie down and die without so much as a flicker of protestation?

What possible alternative was ever going to exist besides increasing violence?

It would be the equivalent of dropping a cup of tea on the floor and 1) being confused as to why it has smashed, and 2) condemning the act of gravity as uncivil. Crazy, in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It can often just be groundless rumours like when Cllr Vincent Jacksons House was surrounded by far right screaming thugs for no reason other than groundless rumours. And same with Ringsend. That ended up being groundless rumours.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

There's multiple companies involved with facilitating these sites; bus companies, building contractors, caterers etc. A large proportion of people in those companies are "not my problem/nothing to do with me" jobsworths, but there's usually people of conscience who aren't happy about selling out their communities and will leak the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭abozzz

I fail to see how the creation of three detention centres is going to solve anything, and I also fail to see the point in the first place.

So the three detention centres are built at no doubt great cost, against a tide of Irish people who don't want it near them, and with all the usual crookedness that goes with anything in this country.

Then they will be filled to brimming within no time.

Yet more migrants will continue to arrive beyond any semblance of capacity after the fact.

And then what?

And then the government will pull out all the stops to prevent migration?

Why not just do that now?

Well, those kind hearted 'people of conscience' may well have caused a few arson attacks in their own communities. All very well when it's only property involved, but we could well see fatalities in one of these attacks in the near future (its only a matter of time surely).

We could see fatalities, we could see a lot of things. Look at what's happened in the UK, France, Sweden and Germany, we could see all that and more.

Yep. Only a matter of time before a refugee or politician is murdered.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

And who's fault will that be .Like you say we have got our warning.

The Government will blame the far right .

The far right will blame the government .

It will probably end up with another riot unless the government see sense and any resolution involves compromise on both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Augme

People claiming asylum are going to be turned away. They will simply be housed in hotels instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's difficult to reason with someone who thinks the only way to protest is to burn buildings.

Stupid people burned a hotel quite near me (Ross House Hotel, Galway). Absolute brainless idiots and most local people were disgusted. If they had continued their blockade (lasted 1 day), I would have absolutely no issue with that. But depriving the community of a once popular hotel was an act of mindless brainless thuggery. I will never condone such acts.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I can't imagine the government will compromise with terrorists. Its just going to open the doors to anarchy.

If a person murders someone it's their fault. You can't seriously be suggesting "the government made me murder someone" is a credible defense.

Terry Pratchet

They probably thought "well we're going to lose the hotel either way, **** it".

No. These people don't think. They are beyond rational thought. Attention seeking perhaps but mainly brainless. There is nothing smart about that move, there is nothing to be proud of. The reasoned protesters were also disgusted. It made them look like fools. Stupidity of the highest order and then we get the copycat idiots...

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭slay55

🤣🤣🤣🤣 as groundless as blaming the far right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Well if the government keep steam rolling asylum seekers into locations which are already over run with an infux of refugees we will be having news headlines every week about accomadation going up in flames it seems to me

Th obvious solution is to only house asylum seekers in hotels that are already in use and that have staff in them 24/7. It's only been empty buildings that have been attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Violence and arson attacks are always wrong, but it's not surprising either.

The Government and their media hangers-on have ignored, marginalised and demonised anyone who expressed concerns (never mind objections) to this farcical "policy" for the last 2 years. It was unfortunately inevitable that the situation would escalate.

Of course, now that the party bosses see problems in the upcoming elections (and the latest poll backing up what people here have been saying for months or longer: that an increasing number of people want a new political option), the TDs have been sent out with a new "we've heard you" message in recent weeks - although I did read the "poor Helen" (McEntee) article the other day in the Indo with her being near tears and sleepless nights over the situation in Gaza. A tragic and sad situation to be sure, but nothing we can do about it either and it would be better if she was so upset about the problems faced by Irish families and communities as a result of the policies she and her ilk have pursued over not just the last 2 years, but the last decade!

People can only be pushed so far and there will always be those who will take it that step further. It's not right (and they should face the law accordingly) but it was inevitable when you ignore and insult people for as long as this Government has.

The promises of controls and deportations and all the other noises coming from Government buildings in the last few weeks are Exhibit A in the study of "how to close the barn door after the horse has not only bolted, but also how to stroke discontent and division in your own society and then wonder how it got to this".

It takes a LOT for the Irish to get to this point. The last time was the Irish Water outrage from 2014 (another FG led disaster), the time before that was the Anti-drugs protests of the mid-90s (when FG were ALSO in power), but when it happens, things get serious quickly as it has again now. It shouldn't have come to this, but all the "feel-good" social referenda/referendums can only mask the more serious social issues for so long before people say enough!

The moral of the story - as I've said lots of times before - is to remember that FG in Government are actually WORSE than FF because they not only make everything worse, they damage the basis of our society in the social contract because of their ingrained arrogance. Far from being the party of Justice, they have once again created a situation where protests and people taking things into their own hands are being seen as the only options to be heard.

Again, it's not right that it's gotten to this point, but the Government have only themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

who ever termed the phrase the party of Justice where talking through their hoop. I read that article on McEntee. Out of her depth. Like Tubridy at RTE has personified the ‘nepo’ baby term. Don’t doubt the lady is smart and intelligent but just out of her depth in that role. Playing to crowd on Gaza. I doubt anyone in Fine Gael really gives the square root of 6 ****.

That place that was firebombed yesterday in Crooksling is on an isolated country road and a good two and a half miles from the nearest houses or housing estate......there's literally nobody living near it and the nearest amenities are two or three golf courses. The concerned "protesters" were having to drive miles even to get access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Good point. as you say 'the nearest amenities are two or three golf courses'. Obviously, a daft place to go putting migrants!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

'Private' golf course is it? ....aren't they all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The obvious solution is to process asylum claims within a week, at the port of entry.

No AS should get past the port of entry.

Therefore, no need to hire all these B&B and nursing homes.

• Advertisement

Wikipedia : "Firebombing is a bombing technique designed to damage a target, generally an urban area, through the use of fire, caused by incendiary devices. In popular usage, any act in which an incendiary device is used to initiate a fire is often described as a "firebombing",

(Glad to be of assistance).

Advertisement