Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭obi604

some good point there.

My main thing about untethered is theft.

>90% of my charging will be at home....and I don't want to be taking the cable in and out of car, I just want to leave it plugged in to the charge unit and hanging up on a hook etc, then take it with me when needed on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I corrected my post, sorry 😂. I was posting that on my phone while working.

Stay Free

The adapter has other benefits. It's used at places where there is only a type 2 tethered charger, such as hotels and some businesses. We have 4 first gen Leafs between my family and extended family. Visiting an inlaw over Christmas who has a type 2 charger, the adapter I have was used to top up the 4 Leafs over about 5 hours. The previous year, a granny charger and extension cord was needed, as well as more hours which was a little bit of drama. It is worth having an adaptor regardless of your home charger type imo.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭obi604

regarding the qualification for the grant on the charger having to be 'smart' -- did this hange in recent times?

obviously the first ones were not smart and you still got the grant

They changed the smart requirement last year. I never bothered with the grant personally.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Hi

I'm looking to get a charger installed and have contacted a number of installers. They have all said that my meter tails need to be upgraded first. This requires certification. The house was rewired 10 years ago but the tails obviously were left at 10mm. I have the cert from that rewiring job. Will this be sufficient or is testing and recertification necessary?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Unfortunately if you have 10mm2 cable you need your electrician to submit a new cert to get esbn to come out.

Whoever did the rewire was obliged to change the tails to 16mm2 but that's moot now.

☀️

You paid for a professional and got a cowboy. Getting the tails done will be simpe enough though. Any reci will be able to do it.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Thanks both

Installer is saying I should submit the old cert to SEAI before they carry out the tails upgrade. I'm just not sure why that would be necessary if they will have to issue a cert after upgrade anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ardara

As you probably have heard many of us had an Autel home charger installed by a certain company which subsequently went into liquidation in September/October last year.

This left us with an unsupported product that immediately stopped working. I believe most of us have at least got it working again with help from some very bright people on these very boards.

Having chosen what I thought was a large reputable manufacturer I am gobsmacked at the lack of support or responsibility they have displayed.

I have written to Autel to complain with only the reply “you need to speak to the third party installer”.

I have spoken with the one man band of Autel in Dublin who quoted me 350 euro plus VAT to take on support of their product.

I have emailed the 6 Donegal TDs only one of whom bothered to reply. He sent it on to SF Environment Spokesperson who replied detailing how he has raised this a few times and will continue to chase (my general point to TDs was the undermining of green technologies by flash in the pan small businesses going bust leaving no support for these products).

I even complained to the CPCC (consumer protection) who seemed to suggest there wasn’t a huge amount we could do.

Considering these products are supposed to have a 3 year warranty I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of another step I/we could try?

GRMA

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm confused the warranty is with the manufacturer

Autel don't support end users. Too late now, but always avoid products from companies that only deal with the trade. I made a similar mistake last year when I purchased a palladio door. The installer was a dud when it came to support a few days after the install when I needed a part and repair I was happy to pay for. After I didn't hear back, I called Palladio who told me they don't deal with the public. For such an expensive product, I was rightly pi55ed off, as I only needed a trim piece! Don't buy Palladio and don't buy Autel.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ardara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I know you are supposed to get a REC to install a new charge point, to make sure everything is up to scratch. But what about a straight replacement of a charge point? Not doing anything with wiring other than disconnecting an old point and connecting a new one. Does that still require a REC?

This is exactly what I did. I argue it's a direct replacement of a socket and so if you are competent and confident, go right ahead. Or if you are in Dublin, i'll do it for half the price of the best RECI quote you get 😁

joke

Stay Free

Technically no. It has to have a rec, restricted works.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭crl84

For a job like that, buy the unit directly, and get any local electrician to swap it out. Less than 1hr job.

Plenty of companies will quote 1k+ as if it was a brand new install from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Hi all,

I have an 8 year old Rolec which still works fine but showing signs of wear and tear, I've never claimed the €600 grant (got the application in just before the new year before it got halved). I'm not really interested in spending €1k on a Zappi so I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a reasonably priced reliable "smart" charger that qualifies for the SEAI grant? Is there such a thing thats decent quality available in the €300 to €500 range for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Thanks! Is there a supplier for these in Ireland / can they be purchased online?

Don't think so, you can buy direct from Uk manufacturer. Ask for a vat free quote.

☀️

Also don't get the pro version. The standard version 3 is all you need. Should be 600ish landed

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Who is the cheapest company installing these days?

Assuming no special upgrades needed ofc.

Have a neighbour with a phev coming over to look at my charger tomorrow and with the reduction in the grant its more expensive now.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Interested in recent pricing too. Just got a quote for €2300 for a Ohme untethered, this did include upgrading the tails to 16mm but still very expensive imo.

All standard pricing is around 1400 excluding grant. Haven't seen anything outside this range based on zappi. Take out maybe 100 euro for ohme install

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The poster has no relationship with the Manufacturer, their contract is with the installer who is now gone bust so there is no legal avenue left

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Had a local REC put a Zappi 7Kw untethered charger in yesterday, and already regretting it, the paperwork in the box about setting it up is a work of fiction, and there's no access on the website to a download page that's supposed to be there, in order to get the manuals so I can sort it out, the Zappi support forum on Tapatalk looks like it died a year ago, so the bottom line, I can't register the device online, or set up the app to access it on my phone, and I can't get the needed information to get the charger to talk to my phone, and from what I'm seeing online, Zappi is not a company that inspires me with their ability to provide a meaningful service or support, everything on their web site looks as if it's a year out of date.

So, have I made a serious mistake, or what the hell is going on? I went with the recommendation of the REC, should I just ring him, and tell him to take the Zappi away, and replace it with something that is actually properly supported, and if I should throw it out, what's a sensible alternative, there's no problems at all with load or the like, as the charger is on one phase of a 3 phase supply, and the house is on a different phase.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement

Calm down. Step 1.

Step 2. Describe what you're trying to solve. Manuals are a useless bag of shite. Just explain your problem people can direct you properly. Note I had one installed today and set it up myself afterwards.

Advertisement