Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭abozzz

This situation is heading for violence, the longer it is pushed down the road, the greater the magnitude of potential violence.

You could be talking single years or decades, but if the hope is that mass migration is going to eventually be accepted and/or forgotten by an increasingly hostile, politically abandoned indigenous population, you'd be mad.

Words, empty or otherwise, will increasingly fail to impress. Action is what people do want, and will increasingly seek.

This is not a complicated situation, nor is it difficult to predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'm not sure the Soc Dems would enter government with FFG.

If it's on the cards it'll be a real test of their bona fidas.

Enter government and pick up a couple of ministerial pensions, or give the party a long term future.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

I wouldn't say so, it didn't happen in France, England, Sweden, Germany, Denmark etc. They had massive populations of migrants dropped on to them over the past 3 decades and there's still not much pushbac. We're speedrunning the process, and we're not much for protesting, so I see a lot of "shur whats to be done" in the future but not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭abozzz

The key words are "not yet". Anyone even remotely aware of the political environment, across Europe, with regard mass migration knows what way the wind is blowing. And strongly, and with good reason, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭combat14

people will keep voting until they get the change they require even if it takes a number of election cycles .. we can see change slowly happening all over europe people have enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Well lads if you have concerns dont vote for the main steam parties no matter what they promise. The biggest pack of self interested spoofers going. Dont ask me who else either because the options are very limited. Just use best judgement I suppose.

I do know this lot need to go for a long time. And it's not just because of the immigration issue either.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

We don't have the luxury of several election cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

What long term future do you think the Soc Dems have?

They will be doing well if they even hold on to the number of seats they have.

Cairns isn't even a safe bet to keep her own seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And NorthernLily is representative of the great people both in the wider community and on this thread, that you and others routinely insist are 'anti immigrant' or 'far right'. Shame on yous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'd imagine there was some security at the old St.Brigids nursing home but I recall it as a fairly sprawling complex surrounded by trees and fields, when visiting a relative there years ago. Be hard to keep an eye on it fully, particularly at night as well up out of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Heading for violence? Several burned out buildings and heavy handed policing in Roscrea says it's arrived already.

Given the political temperature on this, the way the DCEDIY is handling this, it's nothing short of shocking. It knows that there are people out there with a propensity to burn things down so if it is not considering a building it needs to be 100% honest and forthright that it's not. Stalling and non committal statements breeds mistrust and feeds into the anger that results in these fires. The department isn't lighting the match but it isn't doing anything to dampen the kindling either.

And where the department is considering a building, it needs to inform the community at each stage, from preliminary through to contract signing. It needs to give communities meaningful input and if they make coherent arguments why a building or location is not suitable, listen and if necessary, back off.

The more the feeling is out there that these centres are being imposed from on high, the more the fires will continue. That's the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

For sure, but many of these protests seem to be taking place before officials have even had time to consult anyone i.e. the process hasn't even arrived at the consulting stage but somehow the protesters have got wind of preliminary discussions between agencies and start picketing the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

She also said that over 80% of people from safe countries are refused asylum.

Sounds promising until you actually break it down and dig deeper. Of those 80% refused, 80% of them are refused on appeal. So that means actually only 64% of original group are refused (80% of 80%) and 34% are accepted.

Then of those 64%, how many are granted other statuses such as "leave to remain" and allowed to work? No mention of that from her. But given that only 10% of all asylum seekers were given deportation orders last year, it's likely to be similar for that group. So suddenly we are at 90% getting to stay in Ireland, even though they are from a safe country!

But it gets even worse because of course we know only 32 out of 872 deportation orders were actually enforced last year. Thats about 5% of all those supposed to leave.

So you can see the misinformation coming from the Government minister. She claims 80% are "refused asylum", but when you dig deeper probably less than 1% are actually removed from the country.

If the department has had time to have preliminary discussions with the operator it's had time to notify the local representatives. It's an email it is choosing not to send.

What's been happening is they've a strategy of waiting to the last moment to let the public know it's happening so that there's minimum time for opposition to form.

It's simply not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ya but the 79% percent we ask them to leave nicely and of course they do, they wouldnt lie to us

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Give the community lots of notice to let their feelings known. Some communities might be delighted.

I do not believe that these should be imposed on locations that do not want them.

I've seen reports suggesting that in some cases agencies have made no decision on a building and are just sounding each other out on possible use but somehow the protestors have got wind of these preliminary discussions and started the picketing the place.

At what point does this not become a total joke? They have to 'consult' the local community and ask them for their permission before they even make a preliminary enquiry to the owner of a premises?

They don't have to consult them but the public representatives should be informed that preliminary discussions are taking place.

There is absolutely no place for this kind of secrecy in a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Again the Government spreading misinformation is going to rile people even more.

I presume they have well paid spin doctors. They should be telling them to ignore the usual political instincts and don’t lie or exaggerate. If they told the truth about the flawed system and acknowledge it needs to improve there would be less anger.

• Advertisement

That is the way agencies and local government throughout Europe conduct their business all of the time - contact by email and telephone between various stakeholders and interested parties. How do you think we managed to accommodate 75,000 Ukrainian people in a short period of time? There must have been tens of thousands of emails sent and phone calls made without any public involvement.

So are you saying that people shouldn't be told what is planned for their communities? Only telling them at the absolute last moment when it's a fait accompli has resulted in the rumour mill going into overdrive, where any big old building that has renovation going on has become a target.

Absolute clarity from the department at every stage is a necessity. It's not only buildings going up in flames, but trust in central government too.

Nobody has a veto on who can live in their town or village

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

They don't, but they normally get a say about what use a building is put to.

By right all accommodation centres should go through the planning process.

Instead we get secrecy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Whatever they did they did not " invent bogeymen " .

Those same scumbags have been stirring for the last couple of years and they along with imported scammers are burning buildings which could just as 3asily be used to house Irish people as anyone else.

Anyway not the point .

Arson is a crime and potentially lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Why? It's not a legal obligation? The planning system is busy dealing with housing. That's actually a bit of a ridiculous suggestion to start giving planners loads of work that is absolutely unnecessary for them to do.

Terry Pratchet

Mental logic. If planning for housing was a problem you'd relax planning rules for housing - not exclude a different building/use type.

It's not a legal obligation because not a single one would get planning. That's why.

And it's only excluded for that reason by edict of government.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

You're wrong about that. At the moment, literally hundreds of thousands of good people in Germany are protesting against the racists who try to blame political problems on migrants. Against the whole idiotic narrative that 'dropping' migrants into a country is the reason for any kinds of problems.

BTW - two children of the migrants 'dropped' onto Germany in the last decades saved millions of lives, by developing the first Covid vaccine. Not that this is something the racist crowd would acknowledge or appreciate. Doesn't fit their idiotic narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Sounds very familiar ...different name used on the country , and the poster a few months ago .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement