Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,625 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Another ~140 locations on the map; and it now gives me the correct closest for my house - even though it was always there!

Still a local-ish shop that I know has RVMs in service not on the map so its still incomplete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

it's nice to know they're still updating the map and got around to adding more locations. i'm probebly gonna wait a few more days until its fully updated. as theres meant to be atleast 1800 rvm's rolled out. some locations may have 2 or 3 i'd imagine, while others have 1

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Need more than an update. Enter my eircode and it says 4.77 km when in fact it is 27km. What a fecking joke

agreed, whole scheme needs to be redesigned in my opinion. they are way too fussy and offer people nothing in return for demanding their free help with reaching their recycle goals target.

inconviencing everyone, is their way to reaching the goal. a joke indeed!

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

I worked in Germany for a number of years, and have used the return system for glass, plastic and Al cans. I'm not against it, it does work and it becomes the norm for the people.

But here are the downsides ...

Machines were forever not working. Larger supermarkets had room for 2+ machines, and they needed them as one was always out of order.

There used to be long Q's at the machines at busy times. Many times, I just left, offering my bag of returns to someone in the Q.

If you are on foot and bring your returns in a bag or backpack and find the machine out of order, you have to carry them home again as well as your new shopping.

In the end as I didnt have spare time due to work and travelling most weekends, after a couple of months, I just put my returns into the house recycle bins.

As I previouly posted, I'd rather see the government and local authorities start by tackling fly tipping, dog poo in public and increasing public bins before we progress to the bottle & cans return system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Totally agree. Penalise those doing their bit for the environment and ignore those who don't give a shite!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭3d4life

( copied from Briskoda.net )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Just checked the map for my own location. In fairness everything is correct, all the RVMs I'm aware of are there, the distances are correct and listed in the expected order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭jos22

had people the past few days trying to put empty cans of dog food into them, few arrived in bags of bottle they stock piled over Christmas.

fun time loading them back into their cars to bring them home. the idot with bags full had being told past 3 weeks the machines would not accepted them.

RVM operater recommended this for the first 2 months or so. they said they would take back the rejected plastics provided they were not milk cartons etc

for that period of time, after which it would store problem to get rid of it, several places rejected this offer to avoid the areas around the machines becoming dumping grounds , as they do with recycle bins in public areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

I haven’t used the machines yet but I’m wondering what happens with multi pack cans or bottles? I see on online shopping that these now also have the deposit attached but how can you return them when they don’t have a barcode? As I understand, the machine has to scan a valid barcode- can you take those cans/ bottles back to the till inside the shop to get your deposit back?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If I were you I wouldn't pay a deposit on any bottle with no barcode or Return symbol unless the retailer guarantees you they will refund when you return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

The multipack cans that now have a deposit should be updated cans with a barcode on each and a re-turn logo, my advice is to keep your receipt when purchasing these. the deposit on these should be refeundable, if the machine rejects these or if you are given cans without barcodes despite paying a deposit, bring them back along with your receipt once finnished them, and you can have your deposit refunded manually as the customer service desk, or at the main till if theres no service desk.

Just make sure to keep your receipt.

alternatively if you have no opened any of them yet, you could instead bring them back for a full refund

Thanks, I didn’t realise they were adding barcodes to the multi pack ones now. I was drinking a can from a multi pack that dh bought on Thursday so was just wondering- these ones don’t have barcodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

all multipacks cans and bottle should have a barcode instead of the not to be sold separately message. though currently this is not guaranteed as still lot stock floating around since Christmas that were produced without the codes.

they have added a bar code reader to their website https://re-turn.ie/consumer/ scroll down a bit you can enter codes there to see if the product you have will be accepted by the machine.

such as this one 5054267003644 which is for Orangina which dose not have the re-turn logo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Why make the input so high,or is she very short,if you are inputting a lot of bottles it would delay the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Advertisement

I don’t know, dh bought them and forgot to check the receipt before throwing it away. It’s possible he didn’t but it just made me think about future multi packs.

Slightly OT but an old boss I had while working in retail used to regularly open multipacks and sell the cans and bottles, as they were cheaper for him to buy. When the “not to be sold separately” “barcodes” came in, in the late 90s/ early naughties, it put a kibosh to it. It’ll be interesting to see how companies handle that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It's to stop dogs going around fetching lots of empties and putting them in the machine and getting obese.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Looks more like a tesco initiative than a Re-Turn one at first glance, still a great idea. It's directly beside the RVM so somebody with bottles and cans for recycling is unlikely to have rubbish with them at these machines

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The retailers can't charge the deposit unless it will be accepted for return, if you're charged a deposit you can claim it back, re-turn logo or not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The retailers shouldn't charge the deposit unless it will be accepted for return, but that doesn't mean they can't. For example, we saw at the changeover to the euro, most prices were rounded up, sometimes excessively. A lot of retailers will do what is easiest/most profitable for them when changes like this come along.

The inner workings of the machine might not be too sophisticated, meaning that the bottle's destination relies a lot on gravity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Anyone else noticed a shortage of water in their local supermarket since this new scheme? My nearest Tesco seem to have sold out on all their old 2L stock and haven't updated with the new logo bottles yet for whatever reason, all while non-applicable 5L bottles are getting stockpiled fast leaving an empty water isle. Stock for soft drinks and alcohol cans seems kind of sparse as well.

water is an easier liquid than sodas to store and keep fresh, and require no gas pressure or additives. Thus it might be possible rather than wasting the liquid they're being super stringy, keeping all their water from those non-logo bottles, recalled them all, for the purpose of refilling the new bottles with the logo with THAT recalled water, instead of fresh water directly from their "source"

ewwww

first batch of water that comes out might have a severe taste of plastic. i'm gonna give these a miss just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

"Saving you time, money and energy".

Part of an ad I heard on the radio, didn't catch the company, but it's what countless companies say to try and get your business. The point is, the Deposit Return Scheme does none of the above. It does exactly the opposite. It will cost you time and energy. And at best, you will break even in terms of money. But it could cost you money in a multitude of scenarios:

• you forget to bring the item back and instead put it in green bin at home
    • you're out and about and it's easier to put an empty bottle/can in a bin that carry it around
    • the bottle/can gets damaged for whatever reason
    • if you buy bottles/cans as a gift, it's a tax you won't get back
    • if you're visiting someone in hospital and buy them bottles/cans of drinks. Again, it's a tax you won't get back
    • you're at a house party and bring your own cans. Realistically, you're not going to bring the empties home
    • if the RVM is broken, it will cost you time, money and energy to come back again
    • if you're housebound and get deliveries, it may not be possible to return empties.

It may not be much on each occasion, but over time it'll all add up. As one of the supermarket chains say, "Every little helps TAX".

• Advertisement

They would only have to re-label a bottle, not pour from one bottle into another. I presume you've never witnessed the manufacturing process for any product.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement