Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Good point. I consider today our first league defeat of the season, the debacle against Spurs not counting. Arsenal 100% value for their win. But you're right - it's a tough away fixture out of the way. Onwards and upwards, although I will say that it does make the Anfield game vs City probably a must win now (knowing City will likely win the vast majority of their remaining games).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Would be more the case of dropping points at the like of Luton

True. I'd nearly put my house on Arsenal finishing no higher than 3rd. It's between City and Liverpool.

• Administrators Posts: 54,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I’m really not convinced about either Gravenberch or Gakpo so far. Neither seem able for these big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Gakpo's definitely shown more than Grav but he's also a fair bit older. Not a big fan of either starting many more PL games for this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Poor today, defence poor but were under pressure all game, trent very poor and Bradley a big loss, martinelli skinned trent who is a woeful defender and we looked more dangerous last few games with a proper right full who gets up and down and gets his crosses in, grav very poor too, I've been very disappointed with him and not sure what he contributes to us, up front pity we couldn't start Darwin as Diaz woefully out of form and gapko is very poor all season, big wake up call this game and will be good to get Bradley, mo, endo and few more back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The old saying,goals win games,defences wins titles was never more appropriate today. We were always on the backfoot when Szobo was out and Nunez didn't start. As poor as we were today ,if the defence were on top of their game then we come away with a point. Wasn't to be. On to the next game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

It won’t be today, it’s more points dropped against Brighton/Luton/Utd, where if we were anywhere near our potential we should be taking maximum points out of.

Today was annoying but not a disaster.

• Advertisement

City play twice now before we kick another ball, we'll know more in 6 days time.

No other option. Bradley was unavailable for selection due to his dad dying.

Speaking of which, it makes his recent performances all the more remarkable because his dad had been suffering for a long time and his passing seems to have been expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭mada999

Arsenal defence was pushing so high up on our midfielders/attackers.... thought the game was made up for Nunez up front to give the Arsenal defenders a bit of jeopardy... drag their defenders out like they were doing to us..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He had the option of starting Robbo and moving Gomez to RB - wouldn't have been the worst option really but trent was further along fitness wise I reckon as he wasn't out so long.

Bradley missing really had an effect - strange to say given how new he is to the team.

Sobo not being available also had an effect.

Nunez not starting definitely had an effect - Diaz and Jota benefit enormously from Nunez occupying the defenders more than Gakpo does.

Salah obviously too.

Bad day at the office, accept it and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

I dunno about you guys but I find it very refreshing to actually not have any reffing complaints after a loss for a change. It's been a while....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,532 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Considering our squad, I'd say there is a 75% chance that if Alonso took over, he'd make it look easy, and could rattle off 3 league titles in a row. I really believe such a thing could happen, simply because of his realism, rather than Klopps unwavering commitment to his playing style, Alonso would most likely buy a baller of a right back or third CB, and relieve Trent of his duties permanently, moving him into midfield, and, thus , turning us into more of a steadfast team, that doesn't rely on Alisson for the last ditch saves that keeps our goals against stats down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We're not a complete puzzle. We were never going unbeaten unless we got lucky with injuries in a way nobody else has.

Also, the only reason anyone is starting to expect a title run, or furthermore, a charge home from first place, is that it's Klopp's last season. This is not Liverpool 2018-2020. This team is not primed for a 15 game winning run. And that's ok. We're exceeding expectations with where we are. If City win all their games, so be it - we were never going to do that. I've accepted that.

I'm more annoyed by dropped points v Luton and the robbery at Spurs than I ever would be at losing this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭jones

I'm not sure what to say to this.... It's ambitious at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Tell the gaffer...

I actually agree with you, no significant complaints about the ref and they certainly didn't cost us the match. We cost us the match, and I can live with that. We played badly, but we know we can play well. We just have to do that from now on again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I wouldn't play Trent at MF over AlMac, Sobo, Jones or Endo tbh.

This is true. I'm personally a bit shocked that we've witnessed 2 games ref'd by Paul Tierney and Anthony Taylor and I've no complaints about them. In fact, I think we got 55-60% of the decisions. No problem with Konate's red.

• Advertisement

I really wasn't happy with Konate's 1st yellow, clearly half a dozen of one.

Generally I agree though.

Felt properly robbed after Spurs, don't have that feeling here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I thought the ref was dreadful today,arsenal got away with murder

I dunno what game you were watching, but the Anthony Taylor was so obvious today, booking us for fouls, and not booking Arsenal for the same fouls, but even worst. Unreal the rugby tackles today by Arsenal

Ah he has to say something. I dunno, maybe it's cos of just how bad the refs have been for us over the years that this feels fine like nothing major happened from a ref's point of view. I mean, we had a perfectly good goal, that everyone knew was a perfectly good goal just second after it was scored not given so the second yellow given to Konate but not given to Gabriel feels very minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Bradley and Szobo out and Nunez not fit to start really killed us today. Trent is too easy to get past at RB and probably not fully fit either, means Konate is then under pressure trying to cover, plus Grav in midfield doesn't help, and Gapko really doesn't contribute much, those enforced changes had knock on affects on the rest of the team and played into Arsenal's hands. Not sure why Thaigo was brought on, considering he hadn't played in almost a year, he was very unlikely to have any impact, really wasn't the game to bring him on.

Hopefully that's all the blunders out of the way in one match, was always going to be difficult to get a result, but, we gifted them the 3 points after they had gifted us a way back. Hopefully Brentford can do us a favour tomorrow night, but won't hold my breath!

The 1st was softish but once he knew he was on a yellow he knew he couldn't make the 2nd challenge. All hindsight for sure, but Quansah coming on for him may've been a good call. Just one of those things - a centre half living on the edge is always on the verge of a red.

I've seen far worse from Anthony Taylor. A little bit of a homer, sure, but that's to be expected. Booking Mahogany White for time-wasting in the 1st half was a welcome sight.

Exactly. Sure he was a bit biased towards the home team but that's fairly normal. At least there were no blatantly terrible decisions where we see the exact same incidents being reffed differently the following week and forever like with Jone's red card for example against Spurs or Macca's red card. Both of which we saw many many examples of similar or worse tackles being only given as a yellow or not even given as a foul at all like the Kluivert challenge on Diaz last week which should have been a red if Jone's and Macca's were red but it wasnt even given as a foul.

Absolutely brutal decisions and we have tons more examples. Nothing like that in this game tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Grav’s a long term buy, so shouldn’t really be judged in the context of big games - he shouldn’t have been picked in this one. But he’s excellent to have for the cup runs. Gakpo’s grand as long as we’re on top… definitely 5th choice forward though.

There was just no energy on the right, none of Trent, Grav, or Jota have the engine to run that line. Bradley, Szobo, Salah all do it. We need at least one player like that on that side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It was a nothing challenge,and Marinelli down holding his head.... FFS.

Some contrast with the shoulder high grab of Darwin a few minutes later that wasn't punished, and then Darwin booked for protesting after a tackle that woild have been a foul in Twickenham!

Taylor didn't cost us the game, we cost ourselves the game, but he was really poor. However, we didn't adapt to the way he was refereeing, we weren't near cynical enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

He won't be here long term, he'll be one of the first out under a new manager.

He's bloody useless. Didn't break a sweat today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

No he won't. He is one for the future.

He was poor today. But if you were to show fellas the door based on today, Ali/VVD/Jota/Trent/Gakpo etc would be at risk.

Days like today happen.

Not over reacting to a poor result is something we are not good at in here.

He'll be 22 in a few months.

He's also not some academy product, he cost a small fortune and has played for Ajax and Bayern.

He'll need to improve fairly sharpish imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

True but grav has been poor all season and I know he is young but so is Bradley and he has contributed way more than grav, to me he dosent look to have the fight in him and swans around a bit like pogba used to do, can't see him surviving long term. And today by God trent was fairly skinned, how can a guy who is right back for last 4 or 5 years be so bad at defending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Grav hasn’t been poor all season. He’s had some good games, bad games and indifferent games. He arrived and had no pre season at the club. End of next season is the time to judge him. Certainly has to improve but way too early to be writing him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Lots doing the Richard Keys thing of criticising Arsenal's post-game celebrations. Never understood why you'd want to criticise that. They just need to back today up with more wins. It was a huge win for them against one of their main rivals for the title, a team they hadn't beaten this season yet and they were 5 points behind. Good on them. Got what they deserved today as did we.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,174 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

F**k it

Exactly, we've been here so many times before, of lads writing off young players within their first few months in a new country at a new club. He has a lot of positives but needs to adapt to the faster pace of the PL, which is just going to take time. He'll be at Liverpool at least until he's 24 - if he's still not adapted by then, he'll be sold on. No need to go panicking about our young 6th choice midfielder just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

Toby you’re like the Hunter S Thompson of the boards forums! You never know what’s coming next but you know it’s going to be wild 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

He's coming back from injury, excuses can be made for everyone,vvd and Becker have to share blame for today, it's a game of small margins, even though they can appear bigger on the statistics,but it was always going to be a tough fixture, sometimes teams that are performing well our expectations rise, maybe the team underestimated arsenal, they are human,on to the next game , don't throw out the baby with the dishwater.

It's not that I'm a fan, so much as I recognise the context in which he's joined, and the context in which he can add value down the line. Not everything has to be immediate. He's clearly part of the longer term plan, while someone like Endo is part of the shorter term plan.

We've seen enough in some of his games (particularly EL) that he's got a lot of attributes that can be very useful once moulded, as he gets used to the quicker pace of the PL. He's a project player with a high ceiling. And we've seen the growth in enough players (like Jones) that we should have learned by now not to get carried away with short term judgements. Player development is a marathon, not a sprint.

Okay, cliches aside, what do you see as his strengths.

He can't seem to press or tackle, is pissed off the ball too easily, doesn't know what positions to take up etc.

Every now and again he does Keita like linebreaks from central positions but these is pissed off the ball too easily or uses it poorly.

In his better games he's been strong, quick, takes the ball well under pressure and turns his man to transition (a bit like Gini used to). Decent dribbler, and has a good surging run with the ball at his feet. He's a lot more comfortable on the left though, another reason why today was a misstep from Klopp (though obviously Klopp is seeing something to have even taken that risk).

I've no problem with saying he wasn't good enough today, and in some other PL games, but this thing we keep seeing of writing-off guys so quickly is baffling to me, especially given the context of a guy who was so so obviously bought for the longer term. I mean, christ, Endo was getting similar stuff despite his development over the first half of the season being so unbelievably textbook "Klopp DM" you could have charted it out the minute he signed (which, incidentally, a few people here literally did).

I just find all the short-term context-ignoring negativity a bit exhausting.

• Advertisement

Endo was called slow by a few on here but generally I don't think anyone questioned his function as a Japan international or his hunger.

Grav definitely isn't getting criticism just for today.

I was all for Grav's purchase, was Happy to ignore the naysayers out of a sense of squad numbers desperation but I'm not sure I buy that there is a long term plan for him.

You're not sure there's a long term plan for the raw but talented 21 year old we bought off the back of a move that hadn't worked out for him? I would find it hard to see any justification in any rationale for buying him besides having a longer term plan, and seeing the huge raw potential there.

We've just been through this so much with players, like fellow midfielders Elliott and Jones who are now both providing a level of usefulness that so many wrote off as an impossibility, that it feels a huge waste of energy to be doing the same thing yet again so early in another young footballers PL career. We'll know a year or 18 months for now if that move was a decent one - which is fine, since he's probably 6th choice. That's what 6th choice is for. Young players - especially new young players - deserve some time to settle and develop.

I think Brentford will give City a game at home, they've only lost 4 at home like Chelsea.

I'm just glad we're at the point of not just watching our games, but City's too. This means we're in a fight.

https://www.vipleague.la/other-events/the-66th-annual-grammy-awards-1-live-streaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Augme

You need a great squad and luck to win a Premier league. With the squad we started the season with we are much relying on the luck part of the equation to get us there. We've done far better than most expected and after last year finishing top 4 was always the main target which is already done and dusted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement