Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

As I understand it there are two options for pause/rewind of live TV. IMO the simpler and better option is the default one.

This is activated by pressing the pause button if for example your phone rings. Pressing pause again will continue on from where you paused. You can rewind or forward but only from the moment you first hit pause. When finished you simply press stop. The box will ask if you want to keep the bits it has recorded.

The other option is Timeshift. This begins recording a channel as soon as you switch on that channel. Then if something happens you can rewind to see a part again. The downside of this is that the box is recording continuously while you are watching. This greatly increases wear and tear on the HDD or SSD. This option is not enabled by default but can be configured as Alun mentioned above.

You can not rewind to the start of a show if the box wasn't watching it already. Again, as I understand it, services like Sky that allow you to go back to the start even if you weren't watching use online players to access the missed bits. Not being a Sky victim customer, I am open to correction on this.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I wouldn't worry too much about wearing out an SSD by using it as a timeshift buffer. It was a concern when they first came out, but as an example the Samsung 870 EVO I'm using has a TBW rating (TeraBytes Written) of 600. Which means you can write 600TB to it until it's likely to start to degrade.

Assuming HD broadcast TV transmits at very roughly 0.5 MB/s on average, 600 TB (600,000,000 MB) would equate to

600,000,000 / 60 / 60 / 24 / 365 / 0.5 = 38 years of continuous TV watching :) There's filesystem overheads to take into account as well, of course, but you get the picture!

An HDD is another matter of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Does anyone find if they're away from the box and set a timer recording it records perfectly but if they actually try to use the box and watch another channel while a timer records it will just leave you with a full size corrupted file? Any fix for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭greasepalm

My H7S only has 1 sat feed and 1 Saorview and works , wonder what issues do you have and not using Sky Q lnb?

What image are you using ?

Do you have 2 sat feeds with a working signal?

• Advertisement

No , have you got a working aerial and what area is it set to as I use 3 rock for Saorview.

Choosing wrong area screws up wrong info

So box works in one room but not other room would suggest cable issue.

Does ABM run okay in other room with no issues ?

But throws up errors in this room . Redo connection in that room.

Sat will only give sat channels so should have no bearing on Saorview.

No, half the channels disappear when its recording, it was good for Saorview/Sat clashes though or I thought it was until this issue.

Doesnt really matter anything I miss I can just download and it will show up in Plex later, annoying though.

Half the channels disappear when recording because the tuner is busy and unable to access the other frequency bands. That is why it is normally used with two satellite feeds.

Make sure that the unused tuner is set as "Disabled" in SETUP>TUNERS & SCANNING>TUNER SETUP> TUNER A or B whichever has no cable. This could be why ABM is failing.

@Thargor @[Deleted User] Satellite TV uses 4 frequency bands, low horizontal, low vertical, high horizontal and high vertical. The box sends a command signal up to the LNB on the dish to select which band it is watching. When you only have one satellite connection, the box will only be able to select one frequency band at a time. This is why some channels "disappear" while watching or recording another. If you set a recording on one frequency band while you are watching another, the recording will fail and you get an empty file.

If you have the disconnected tuner set as "disabled" the box should alert you to the conflict if it needs to record as it then knows that Tuner B is not available.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

To use the box correctly you need 2 sat cables. Using one cable you need cable connected to tuner A and B set to equal TUNER A. You should run another cable for optimum performance. The one tuner when recording makes that tuner busy and you can only watch channels that are on same transponder. thats why all the other channels are greyed out. There is also a setting in recordings where you assign the tuner to be used for recording and that will lock it. For SAORVIEW the same will apply but SAORVIEW has 2 muxes so if the channel you are recording is on Mux 1 you cant view or record a channel on mux 2 but you can record all the channels on each mux in one go but only one mux.

thats why sky has 2 cables = 2 sat tuners = record one watch another or record 2 and watch a recording.

Say how you have the tuners configured.

@ breezy, say the exact version of openvix eg 6.4.0.11 what skin are you using and what region are you using in abm? You will have to deletet all the bouquets and start again. And set ABM up correctly.

Post edited by swoofer on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

Crossepg isn't updating. It's set to auto update nightly at 4am but every week I have to manually download. Openvix ( not sure what version). It's not the end of the world just a bit of a pita

@ thargor, do this and you will get a better result. Plug the sat cable in the top connection, that's TUNER A, configure as SIMPLE, SINGLE 28EAST. Now go to tuner B and make it Equal to and press green to save. Now start a recording and although none of the channels are greyed out it does not mean you can watch all of them it will depend on the channel you are recording. I set my boxes to London and while say recording BBC1 can watch BBC2, , CH4.CH5 but its a case of figuring it out. NB one tuner = only record one channel. The equal is a software thing and links the tuners internally. Its a stop gap. With a unicable LNB you can use one cable from dish and a splitter at box end you could have 2 tuners as normal but UNicable a bit expensive and slightly tricky.

Post edited by swoofer on

Bellie1, why crossepg? Vix comes all ready to go it just needs tweaking. You may have a conflict at 4 am, change time but better still use Openepgdownloader set at 24.

Greyed out , not vanished and it means you cannot use them if recording as Gerry mentioned.

Always best having 2 sat feeds for independent viewing.

If you have twin feeds check both tuners have a signal in SIGNAL FINDER.

Setting it to disabled looks like the answer because there were definitely weird stutters and error pop ups when scrolling through the unavailable channels while recording, on my fathers old Ariva 250 they just disappear, Ill give that a try later thanks a million.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭redoctober

Hi Swoofer,

Haven't had a chance to look at this since. The channels I had and now missing are: Sky Mix, ITV Be, news channels: Al Jazeera, GB news; now ITV 4+1 and ITV 3+1 seem to be gone. That's all I can think of for now. Thanks

Have you scanned 28.2 and found over 800+ channels?

Stop going into epg , go into the channel as you should have a long list and choose from there to see if listed and working.

If dish has moved signal could be lowered.

Ok here is the defenitive way to find a channel that disappears and Al Jazeera is a good example. You need to find the new frequency so to do that you use

kingofsat, this has a continuous list of updated channels but you just need one Al Jazerra so go here

Now enter Al Jazeera HD in the channel search box on top left and hit zap, and as Al Jazeera is on more than one sat scroll down to 28 East and read the new parameters.

To input to box do this MENU SETUP TUNERS & SCANNING , press OK arrow down to signal finder and press OK. Now you will see signal a signal bar and below the tuner A and it will say predefined transponder but you want to enter a new transponder so arrow down and hit right arrow now it becomes user defined so you can change all the entries. Al Jazeera is DVB-S2 so toggle that, under system, enter new frequency , make it vertical, symbol is 23000, inversion toggle and make it auto, same for FEC make auto. Now that menu has 2 screens when its DVB-S2 so arrow down modulation make it 8psk, roll off make it auto same for inversion, leave transport stream as is ie dont touch. Press green to scan and wait. You will get more than one channel but you want Al Jaz so select that and hit ok. Channel Opens , hit ok and arrow up, press menu and arrow down to 7 Add service press ok and all your bouquets jump up , select news press ok and its added and menu goes back to last scanned. Next bit is putting Al Jaz in right place so press blue button , go to news and Al Jazzera will be at end so scroll down to it and press menu, press red to enable move mode Press OK on Al Jaz and it will turn red now with arrow up or down you can move it to where you want and when done press OK . NB you are still in move mode so press menu press red and voila job done.

All your missing channels are still available just changed parameters and there is a sticky at the top of this thread that lists the new frequencies so you dont need to search. The tricky bit can be DVB-S and DVB-S2 and people forget.

this is the sticky and much thanks to the poster

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058333937/free-to-air-tuning-guide-jan-2024#latest

give it a go and say how you got on.

Not sure what you mean there greasepalm. Normally newly scanned channels should appear in the EPG view no? Lately I can see the channels coming up as they're scanned but then they don't show up in the EPG view. There's a folder there for last scanned but it's empty. Previous scans would have been there.

What do you mean "go into the channel"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

Delete delete

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Leonita

Is anyone else having trouble getting GB news? There's 2 different frequencies I've found online but just cannot get it tuned in since last year. I know it's not a popular channel with people here but there are a few shows on it that I like. TIA 🤔🙏

GB News 11670 H 23000 2/3 DVB-S2 8PSK

For future reference KingOfSat is a good site for checking if anything has changed. In the middle of the screen select SORTED BY :- DATE to bring most recent changes to the top of the list.

That is one I tried already but doesn't work. Thanks.

Try this 11671 H, dvb-s2, 23000, 2/3, 8psk. Use signal finder and when you pit in DVB-S2 you have 2 pages, scroll to put in 8 psk, When i use kingofsat I use the search box . top left. gb news moved to be more accessible over europe.

come back if confused

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It is a weak transponder on my system, 9 dB compared to some of the strong ones 17 dB. It might be a signal issue if your set up is less than perfect. You could check if you are getting signals on all of the transponders on the King of Sat list, or the Lnygsat list which might be a bit easier to read.

Check on the menus what signal readings you are getting. The first one on the list 10714 H is very strong with me, but they are all SD channels. I find that HD channels like GB News are more prone to suffer if the signal is weak.

https://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html

Thanks but still no luck. Only one page still when I put in 8psk

Thanks. Yes you are right it is very weak. Still no luck getting it. It's not the end of the world at all.

here is a pic, what box are you using and the image.

are you using signal finder

Pics of the tuning bit as well. If no signal lnb dodgy or cable at rear

• Advertisement

Yes using signal finder on zgemma h7s. It's the only channel that I cannot seem to get since I think November last. Thanks

Advertisement