Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

It's not really that easy though, building endurance and discipline is not easy and it's very much so a mindset thing that a lot of people don't have. Plus there's plenty of technique involved in getting good at it. It's more accessible as sports go and taking it easy is perfectly easy to do. But excelling at it requires technique and not doing it properly will end with injury tbh. Plus most runners do most of their running on their own, pushing yourself to keep going at a target speed is easy to flunk out of and on top of that it's ridiculously physically demanding.

I'd also say something like a cross country is a step further in terms of endurance and it's an even smaller cohort of runners that are willing to do it.

Personally speaking, I'm happy to admit that I have zero coordination beyond being a decent swimmer. But I'm guessing I can outpace a lot of those former gaa and soccer players. I'll happily have respect for their skill in that area and most of them probably appreciate the effort and graft runners engage in. As in any sport, you can take it easy but getting good at it is far from easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think the mindset aspect of endurance activities is not that impressive. It's a case of do you really want to do it or not. I don't think it's any indication at all of being strong minded or determined which it is made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Murt2024

If your a biological male stay out of womens sports, also don't teach kids about been trans, they can figure it out themselves when they hit puberty. Also use the toilets of your chromosones.

99% of people respect trans but have a bit of a cop on. Even two years of hormone treatment is not enough to compete in women's sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The inspiring and amazing David Goggins would disagree. To succeed you need to push past your brains natural desire for what's easy and comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cant imagine everyone being able to achieve what someone like James Cracknell has, i certainly couldnt, takes something else to do that.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I do think there's a certain aspect of people never trying it to a semi serious degree so concluding it's easy. I wouldn't classify any sport as easy but I'd tend to say there's a different kind of difficulty to non team sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The opinion about Ireland being nothing more than a top 8 team is common knowledge amongst people who don't know much about rugby.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Suckler

I don't think "one man, one vote" is an acceptable or prudent system anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Suckler

Some sort of application system to apply for a voting role. Something to verify that you understand the premise of the referendum/General election at a bare minimum.

E.g. there is a significant proportion of people who still don't know how proportional representation works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Of course someone like that would disagree because it's how he makes his money.

My point is that if someone is obsessed with something then it's not that difficult to do it. If he really hated running and exercise then I'd be impressed.

Someone running around the place is not really beneficial or interesting for anyone except the person doing it. It's not heroic.

Doctors and nurses working 18/24 hour shifts in A&E is heroic to me. They're actually using their brain, helping others and under the intense pressure of knowing what happens if they make a mistake. That is what mental fortitude really is for me.

And then you have lads jogging around in Skechers trying to sell themselves as heroic and strong willed. Give me a break. They're just big kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

My most controversial opinion is that i solemnly believe that the harry potter movies are set/events took place/are based in the 2000s, despite what anyone says, and the whole broom saying 2000 in its name was to go along side this and people growing up together alongside the franchise in that time with the characters.

And also that the movies triump over the book because its on a screen, and a person should'nt have to read the books to be considered a true fan of the franchise, and should infact disregard the books entirely as they are nerdy and cringe and not worth reading, insteading of bible bashing others over what is canon and what is'nt. No one should care about the books, it always ruins the franchise anyway and makes people pissed off x thing wasnt included in the movies, or x character is truely a horrible person etc etc. its a kids movies, let people watch it and enjoy it instead of unreasonably expecting them to read a bunch of copypaste books.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...its been explained to me a millions times, and im still clueless, and im a wonk!

I agree that loads of people don't understand the system. But the transferable voting system is the thin end of it. I think most people probably don't have a clue how the parliament works, how laws are created and passed and how the comittee oversight works.

I'd support much better understanding of the systems. But I'm not in favour of a test. You'd exclude all the dum-dums (and lots of other groups besides) from voting and who would advocate for them?

I see what you’re getting at, BTW and I'd like if the discussions were more policy based than the soap opera, lowest common denominator show we have now. I just don't think a test to exclude people from voting would be good.

Would you be happy if they set the bar too high for you to to pass and get a vote? Or are you assuming you'd pass and be able to vote and it would just exclude other people from voting?

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

You have absolutely no idea what your talking about, Goggins is proof that the battle with your mind is the most important thing. His mindset is the main reason he achieved such a huge transformation.

Yeah but very few of us stay obsessed with something, people who enjoy running still have to be able to run on the days they don't feel like it. Almost everyone has to battle against their brain making excuses for not exercising or not doing something important.

Getting really good at running is not an easy thing to do, I'll never run a marathon but well done to anybody who does one. Working hard as a doctor or nurse is brilliant but working 18/24 hrs is putting patients lives in danger and shouldn't be allowed to happen.

The films are brilliant but the books are far better, the films leave out a lot of important stuff but that's just part of filmmaking, at least they got the casting 100% correct. For me Harry is a good character in the films but a great character in the books. The first film skips over parts of how horrible Harry's childhood was, the book really gives you a sense of what it would be like to have nobody in your life that cared about you and this makes you root for Harry and want him to discover the truth more.

I agree that you don't need to read the books to be a HP fan. To say they are nerdy, cringe and copypaste is far beyond sillyness. All the books are 10/10 masterpieces and they've now sold 600 million copies worldwide.

The issue you have is with the actual people telling you to read the books and not with the books.

true, but also if a test had things that were too difficult for the "dum dums" to remember, it might make the candidates propose easier and more simple straight forward propsals without overcomplicating things and without a need for a phd to understand implications lol.

think of the "for dummies" book serious, something laid out like that. the harder their policies are to remember = the less votes they get lol.

marketting and young candidates would be hired much more as a face and mouthpiece for policies i'd imagine, with much elder people behind the scenes pulling the strings and telling them what to say, then the younger face translating it in a way the younger crowd would be able to comprehend and simplifying it.

would be funny if somewhere in translation the message got lost or corrupted like this https://youtu.be/RZfUF9g89GQ?feature=shared&t=63

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

they should make the voting system much more simple. boil it all down to some nursery rhymes and a color.

what color do you vote for? red blue green yellow or black? press the button of which color you like most. press below each button to hear their 20 second music again

(imagine damaging the economy because too many people choose the wrong color, or taxes going up drasticlly because they sung a nicer sounding song at the time)

i know there's many differences between the two, even towards the end there's certain parts that had been left out (not saying any spoilers just incase). There is much more detail for sure in the books, it's just really sickening how most book people think they are higher than movie only people, and go around bible bashing their beliefs and spewing the canon crap. Some ways the books may be better, some ways they may be worse. My point really is no one should have to give a crap. Why don't people like those say the same for lord of the rings? ever seen the size of them books? its a horrible elitist mentallity these book readers give thats really off-putting and ruining alot of the fun and magic the movies provide. Not only that but they're often posting weird overdramatic takes and opinions based on horrible things they've experienced within the books. Like if its that disguisting and horrible then maybe its better to not have read it in the first place?

Honestly the attitude is not with the books themselves, its with the people they create and the higher than thou elitist condescending snobby bible thumper attitude. it's like they're out to harrass anyone who has'nt read the books but did see the movies. They tryna gate-keep the franchise and claim x things didnt happen or x things happened differently despite movie showing otherwise. "book is source material and counts only, anything else didnt really happen" etc etc.

The issue is not the voting process, the issue is all the available choices are a different shade of rubbish so it may as well be pick a colour or your favourite shape.. maybe even your favourite buzzing noise

• Advertisement

Ah hold on, that'd dumbing it down even further and I'm totally opposed to that. Politics IS complicated. Soundbites are easy but they usually completely miss the point.

I'm fine with better communication in politics, but using younger people to get on board with old people's politics is just repackaging exactly what we have right now.

Getting young people involved is a great idea, but politics needs to address young people's issues from young people's perspective. I generally don't trust the old people with houses and maybe a rental property, talking about addressing the housing problems. And I generally don't trust established, big business owners talking about the issues of setting up a small business. And I generally don't trust wealthy people talking about the issues facing poor people.

Instead of putting a young face on old people's ideas, we need a broad range of people with a broad range of experience to address the issues.

We've gone off the point about who should vote. If you introduced a test for voting, I imagine a lot of old people would fail. If you improve education on the topic, then a lot of young people would pass. If I were only self-interested, I'd support that. But I'm not only self-interested.

they should give something back to the people, maybe a clip of them doing a 20 second stand up comedy. and then we vote based on who is funniest?

after all at the end of the day, they are a bunch of clowns XD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The test was going to be about knowing how the electoral system works, what voting 1, 2, 3 means, and not about remembering what policy each candidate was proposing, although a general awareness of that is good too. It's not as if every candidate sticks to their campaign promises once elected. Some don't! 😲

However, the electoral system is still the same.

so are you saying homeless people should be the candidates?

i agree i don't like the idea of repackaging or using young faces but old policies being srpouted, its deceitful and misleading. i'm against it i was just saying what would happen if it was made more simple. world of politics is dog-eat-dog, alot would jump on that.

i think it would be far more simple to make each party having a spinning top, and the winner is decided from whoever wins the spinning top battle, either that or a race with remote control cars that have a flag sticking out of the back of them, the flag being which political party they belong to.

As for who should vote, everyone should be allowed to vote. well everyone within reason of course. People should'nt be excluded from voting as it does not solve the issue. Instead voting should be explained more clearer to them and made easier to understand so anyone really can vote without putting in too much effort

well in that case how about this then? a legal thing a new law where candidates who hold promises are then held to fulfilling that promise and bound by law. And face legal consequence of inescapable jail time or worse if they don't keep their promise. And also a transparency thing put in place so they can show the public what they are doing towards the promise once elected and what steps they take to turn the promise into a reality

A little bit of oh you should read the books is understandable, it's hard not to do that when you've enjoyed a book before the film, from their point of view they believe if you knew this and that it would make x more impactful. So they are coming from a place of deep passion but your right though nobody should be going on and on about reading the book and you shouldn't be called less of a fan if you haven't. I read the LOrings myself and I wish I'd just watched the films and avoided the book.

i was about to agree until reaching the middle part and strongly disagree, its coming from a place of hatread and superiority or elitism. They openly say they despite the movies and outright give hatred, or they keep saying books are better and movies suck. They need people standing up to them for once. They ruin the internet and ruin HP for people that do not wish to have anything to do with the books, they take all the fun out of it. Deep hatred much more than passion is often what they're spewing, and clear biases. They bully and gang up on people. really toxic. idc if they like the books more, they shouldnt have to force that onto others. it reminds me of when people attempt to force religion onto others, nothing short of abusive.

its okay for book readers to say they wished peeves (hp) or tom bombadil (lotr) was in the movies, i don't mind this at all.

I didn't say homeless people should be the candidates. If someone is homeless then they have plenty to be getting on with. But someone with first hand experience of homeless would know a lot more about it than a middle class person who has no experience. There are charities and advocacy groups who are really knowledgeable on the topics too.

Actual homelessness is a pretty niche topic. Why did you choose that?

I think you're asking if I agree with a type of technocracy, then yes. People in government should be appointed because they a) have thebakills to do the job and b) have knowledge relevant to the area they're in charge of.

The point that "everyone" should be allowed to vote within reason, is an interesting one. We are flippant about disenfranchising everyone under 18 in case they don't understand politics, flippant about the fact that lots of adults over 18 definitely don't understand politics but have a vote no questions asked, and steadfast that no old person, even with dementia, should be stopped from voting.

I think our approach to who should and shouldn't vote is very confused to say the least.

• Advertisement

i choose homlessness because homeless people were the first thing that came to head when you mentioned people with experiance. i realize after saying it out loud its a bad example. But the premise of people having experiance being the ones making the policies is the premise what i meant to say. i agree what you said about people with multiple homes and making money renting out the homes should not be the ones making the policies on homeless as they're so far from it themself, and lack the experiance needed for it.

Advertisement