Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house off plans - What to watch out for ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Ad says they have a showhouse available for viewing. Go and view that and see if you like it. Double check that the show house is identical for all properties under construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Thanks Rurt…

Anything that jumps out at you as odd/funny ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

We bought our house off plans after seeing the show house, it's basically the only way to buy a new house

Main thing to watch out for is the completion date, whatever the builder tells you is basically fiction

We got told in September the house would be built that December. At this point the site was a hole in the ground. I raised my eyebrows at the estate agent who seemed to sense my skepticism and responded that's what he'd been told

In the end it was March when we moved in, right before our lease ended

Since presumably the house is part of a new estate, try to get an idea of what amenities are available now. There might be shops or creches planned with the estate, but it can take years for a tenant to move in so better to just assume they won't be there when you move in

Get your mortgage offer in principle and deposit sorted before you make an offer on a house. The housing market these days is like a less civilised version of Battle Royale or The Hunger Games, so the buyer who's in the door early with everything ready to go is the winner

With us, there was a booking deposit of something like €3k on the day we made the offer, and then something like a €12k deposit within 3 weeks or out offer got dropped

You'll also want to sort out a solicitor early on as you need to pass their details to the seller with the deposit

Best of luck!

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Thanks for taking the time for such a well written reply.

Is there anything you would you have done differently ?

Can you specify in the contract that this is all based off if a move in date of X.

I agree..

The market is savage though at the moment . 300k doesnt get you much and very unlikely to have a decent BER rating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You're paying at least 50k to be in Midleton.

Move 10km down the road to Castlemartyr or Ladysbridge, and you'll get the same for less.

Also, how large are the rooms if the 130sqm is spread across 3 floors?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I like the layout and general styling.

Buying off plan is nothing new. Just make sure you thoroughly check the finished product before accepting it as quality can slip when the thing is sold regardless.

Also get detail on the energy spec. Alot of these estates seem to be managing to meet the regs without using heat recovery systems but in my opinion, its not a good idea and there have been a few on here complaining about how cold their A rated house is.

Price wise, I've no idea what's value in Cork.

Ahhh ok.

Should i ask them what heat recovery system is being used and if none, then why not exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭User567363

Doubt many would feel its safe to be up in the master bedroom with their small kids sleeping on the floor below

Doubt many would do any creaky horizontal jogging with teens in the rooms below

Maybe make master bedroom the family room

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

Remember too that the BER is a rating only, it doesn't necessarily reflect reality, and sometimes is way off.

The rating is generated by plugging numbers into a spreadsheet, so your individual house is not necessarily, but almost certainly, never tested by the builder for air tightness or efficiency of the heating/heat recovery system.

Get an independent professional to do the snag list, they will know for more from experience and will know the regulations more clearly than you will ever be able to research yourself. \

Take a look at this guy's video's for a sample of what to find upon completion.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCugqDY6qrqny95VcJoKAHVw

• Advertisement

In terms of what I'd do differently, not much around the buying process

I'll be honest, it's pretty stressful trying to coordinate the bank, solicitors and builder. Getting an actual date pinned down is effectively impossible, and there'll be constant delays right up to the last moment

You can also expect to answer the same question about 100 times from the bank, so make sure you have a good paperwork trail

You'll need everything in place before you can drawdown the mortgage (house insurance, snag list from surveyor, mortgage protection insurance, etc.). This is as well as the house actually being finished

Having a good solicitor helps, they can really move things along. There's certain things that can only be done on the day you drawdown (where the solicitor gets the money from you bank and transfers it to the sellers solicitor) so everything needs to be in place for that to happen

Largely your job is to herd the cats and keep the ball rolling because no-one else is going to, they've all got other customers to deal with

What I would do differently would be to work harder on any extras I'd add to the house during construction. Obviously you can't make significant changes, but things like extra sockets, outdoor lights and maybe wiring for things like that are a lot easier before the plasterboard is on the walls

The builder might also be flexible about things like the style of kitchen or bathroom fittings. Mine wasn't, but my brother basically got an allowance to spend at whatever kitchen installer the builder had contracted

Although extra expenses are probably the last thing you want now, it can be a lot easier to do this stuff now than later

Yeah thought about the extra wiring myself .

What do you think of the property linked?

Any major red flags jump out at you.

Nah, nothing jumping out that would worry me, it's a house and basically looks the same as every other house these days

The attic room will probably be the play room and office for the first few years

Try to get a clear picture about what is and isn't included. Those nice TV units and cabinets almost certainly aren't included, but the kitchen and bathroom cabinets and any built in wardrobes probably are

Also you might be supplying your own flooring other than the tiled areas. You'll need to budget for that as well if that's the case

• Registered Users Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Be satisfied that the people/company taking your money/deposit is in a position to deliver on the final project.

My biggest change would be to ensure there's proper sound proofing between the walls of utility, bathroom and bedroom.

There's nothing in mine and most other stud wall houses. Ridiculously simple to fit before the plasterboard is on, and impossible to fit after.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Half a mill for a 130sqm in midleton, my god. Nice house though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Buying off the plans has one huge risk and that is they don't have to sell to you at the agreed price in the end.

Be warned on the extra sockets as they can charge a lot for them so make sure you know what they are charging

Make a list of where you want sockets, and make sure they have them in the correct spots.

For instance, we didn't get a socket inside the door, so we couldn't put a lamp on the hall table.

We put a bed into the main bedroom and realised the sockets that would be either side of the bed were on the opposite wall.

There's a switch downstairs to turn off the upstairs landing, but no switch upstairs to turn off the downstairs hall lights. Annoying when going to bed.

You probably have a heat pump outside. Ask them to run a cable out to the heat pump for an outside socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

It may or may not be an issue, but the estate will sit right next to the water treatment plant for the Midleton area. If I were to buy there I would probably go for a house on the far side, which in turn might leave you with a north facing garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Not exactly answering your question, but if I had 480K to spend I would look for a country pile on at least half an acre, it may not be in Midleton but within a 15 to 20 minute commute. Daft or similar is your friend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I've never heard of buyers having an input as to where sockets are etc?

Looks a lovely house if it weren't for the price!

No danger of flooding?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭appledrop

When buying off the plans you need to be really careful about where you house will actually be in the estate and that your happy with that and it's orientation. You could end up right beside the proposed shop or creche etc without wanting to be there.

There are a lot of green fields around that estate so you need to check out what all that land around it is zoned and what could be built on it in years to come.

I've seen people being caught out over the years delighted they have lovely green fields beside them only to be shocked when anything can be built beside them.

As a Dub we are always dubious of green fields😉

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

I live near that new estate, biggest thing to watch out for is that one of the planning conditions is the houses can't be connected to the public sewer until the new Irish water pumping station is built, which is currently under construction. To get around this the developer has put a large tank down the hill to store the sewage, which will have to be emptied regularly - it's not clear who will be paying for this.

Another estate in Midleton ( Charleston woods) has also done the same.

Probably won't be an issue as the pumping station will likely be finished first but you never know.

In terms of value - it seems mad money but that appears to be what new builds are going for. You'd pay 390k for 120m² semi d in Mogeely which is a village in the middle of nowhere.

Handy spot for the train. Up a hill so don't have to worry about the floods!

All the land on that hill has zoning for more housing, the field across the road has an active planning application for a very dense development of 270 units so likely to get crowded up there.

Water treatment plant next door is very unobtrusive. It's not sewage treatment it's drinking water treatment, won't put in or out of you.

Edit: if you're looking for more info the cork Coco planning no for the estate is 187236

For the sewage tank is 215664

They're also advertising it as a 41 unit estate but they've another application in for 12 more houses accessed through the same estate, at 235277

And the application for 270 units next door is visible at 236277, currently stalled awaiting further information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I bought off plans years ago and the measurements of the show house didn't match the house I bought. It actually ended up being bigger which was great but I needed to redo some of the flooring estimates.

Advertisement