Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

THe World Cup is over and the next one is 4 years away. Time to move on

Jordan is 25 and Mark Tele'a was 27 in World Cup

If AB want to dump wingers that is their decision but we shouldn't be trying to replicate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

26 is not young! No matter how it's spun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

26 is not young in rugby terms. Its basically prime. Doesn't mean he can't have a great international career of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

No that can of worms needs to be opened regularly, the template is there built by SA which is a heavy reliance on rotating and that you trust in the players that come in and in a physical and mentally draining tournament you need that. I heard the excuse that we had to go with out first team in every game but that clearly was a myth. No sign of any change in the approach from Farrell when even in the 6 nations it could be tested.

• Advertisement

I would say Sexton being suspended threw a wrench in the works. But yea, there could have been more rotation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

We did give 3 guys their first starts last week, but two of those were enforced

They weren't enforced, tho. He could've played, say, James Ryan, Jacob Stockdale and Billy Burns ahead of them. He decided not to.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Agreed, but even regardless of injuries or not... It's STILL three new six Nations starts away in France.

Some people can't see the forest for the trees

100%. There's always a natural churn that happens after RWC. "enforced" or otherwise, it's still new caps. Just like with Kearney and Best after the last RWC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭farmerval

One of the things in the Irish system, is players are slow coming into provincial teams from under age. Every year there'll be comment how the French or English U20's have much more senior experience than the Irish players. Whether that's from the limited number of pro teams or what. Players only establishing themselves on provincial teams at 23 or 24 or more is common.

We have 4 provinces, in France they have 14 teams in the Top 14 and 16 in Pro D2. French players do get more game time quicker, this was shown in the U20 game but we have to work with what we have

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

"Johnny who?? Crowley is excellent"

"Ireland's new 10 looked pretty good. He didn't wilt under the spotlight."

Texts from some nonIrish friends of mine. It's interesting to me how less equivocal their praise is of Crowley, while the narrative in Ireland (from Nugent's closing thoughts on commentary, through to posts on here, through to broadsheet coverage) is defining him in a much different tone, i.e., "in spite of his mistakes", or "showed character to rebound", etc.

I don't know whether there is a disproportionate anxiety around replacing Sexton that is causing this. But in contrast, Joe McCarthy had at least two turnovers, but the narrative is only focusing on the positives. Rightly in my opinion.

For me, two young players had excellent games. McCarthy had the greater impact and was deservedly MOTM.

But in one case, Irish people are defining a player's contribution around his mistakes. In the other case, they simply praising how good a game he had.

Is it because McCarthy, in many respects, is a bonus? I.e., we already have very good depth at lock.

But the very existential issue of Ireland replacing its 10 is perhaps leading to scrutiny on Crowley that is perhaps not entirely fair.

A 23-year-old out-half just went to Marseille, played 80 minutes, and we beat France scoring five tries. Something, I feel, we should be a lot more excited about (positively) than we seem to be....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think a lot of people are praising his courage through highlighting the mistakes he shrugged off before putting in some great passes and kicks.

It would be very easy for a young player coming out of Sexton's shadow to play it extremely safe, especially after a couple of misfires but Crowley just seems to be able to put the odd glitch to one side and keep playing his game. It's exciting to watch and will only further speed up his development.

McCarthy is not dissimilar, his propensity to give away dumb penalties is always highlighted to temper his gung-ho heroics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You'd want to take this up with Farrell also who highlighted some of his poor decision making. That he didn't wilt under the spotlight despite the mistakes is credit to him.

It's completely to be expected but it also clearly did happen. I expect he'll learn from it and improve.

As great as Farrell may be, no man who has ever used the phrase "We are taking them boys to the hurt arena" should be considered the sole authority on a narrative.

Really? The media for the last 24 months are gushing about Crowley at every opportunity. Not sure the narrative that he isn’t getting praise holds water to be honest

Remember the majority of the media telling everyone for the last 10 years that Sexton had to be replaced and should be dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I presume its because he had a pretty rough start to the game and his first half was a mixed bag at best. We don't have to go overboard and call it brilliant if it wasn't. His second half was very promising and he's unlikely to be that nervous again, so overall its a positive performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

There was a point over the last year where this definitely not happening and the media, like the coaching group went all in on Sexton. Occasionally I listen to the Eggchasers podcast, this week they have some interesting comments on Ireland, Sexton, Crowley and McCarthy. I don't agree with everything they say and one is a self confessed Ireland hater but they were pretty complimentary on Crowley and McCarthy and bemoaned the decision not to sub Sexton in the ABs game at the world cup.

For what it's worth he goes into detail here about how much he regrets using that phrase at the time and how much he has learned since.

I think hes doing a pretty bang up job personally.

Crowley made several mistakes that you would bemoan in a more experienced player. But he's not a more experienced player so that's fine and he'll learn from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

It beggared belief, a 38 year old at walking pace shuttling the ball on. And a young 10 high on confidence after slotting crucial drop goals en route to winning the league, away wins in South Africa etc. left idle on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Crowley is doing well alright.

Keeping things ticking over nicely til Prendergast takes over in a few years.

Crowley played the full 80, was 5/6 on place kicks, a try assist, 32 passes all to hand, 28 metres on the ground (thanks to a clean break and three defenders beaten) in a game we scored 5 tries and made nearly 400 metres on the ground. All in his first start in the Six Nations. In France. But for me, the most positive thing, was how he was literally available on every phase* for the pass from 9 or out the back door from the first receiver. Insane work rate on top of all other duties.

Like, I dunno. Steering the narrative instead around his mistakes is just something I can't quite understand. As I say above, my theory is on the collective anxiety about replacing Sexton (something Farrell himself would be feeling more than most, to your earlier point).

*provided he hadn't carried or cleaned a ruck in the previous phase.. I counted only a handful of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'd like to watch it again, but on first viewing, I thought it was a brilliant performance, tbh.

Really? The media for the last 24 months are gushing about Crowley at every opportunity.

24 months? At every opportunity? Jesus, I dunno if that's really accurate tho.

Not convinced I even knew who Crowley was 24 months ago so it's definitely not true.

It absolutely should not be the narrative. The focus should be that he did well. Farrell mentions the poor decisions just to put everything in context.

Trying to steer the narrative to what should have happened in the world cup or that it was a supreme performance is not right either though. It was a very encouraging performance from an inexperienced player at this level. In context I don't think it's overstating it to say it was an excellent performance but if he produced the same against England or Scotland I wouldn't be super thrilled. We've seen nothing to suggest he won't learn and rise to the occasion but you have to prove it on the field too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Listened to the match review podcasts from Second Captains and the 42. The consensus from both is we simplified our lineout from the approach taken in the World Cup and that played a huge role in winning the game.

Proportionately, we use the lineout to launch attacks more than most sides, but it was taken apart in the games against South Africa and New Zealand. Getting that steady source of set piece attacking ball was a huge relief and a win for the coaching set up.

One caveat is that France really didn't have their best jumpers on the pitch. We haven't really been tested yet on our own throw. But early signs are encouraging.

Advertisement