Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭bren2001

Sounds like a faulty machine alright. You’d be best telling the shop that owns/licenses it but I’d be steering clear of that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

it IS a racket, its only an advantage to them. They get the valuable quick easy money cash recycleables placed directly into their hands and separated for them. All the work done for them FREE and helps them reach their political goals of recycled unit target numbers with the EU.

they're making their problem, everyone elses problem, and wanting us to help them with their problem, forcing us into it by holding our deposits ransom as a carrot on a stick. we only break even at best. no reward for playing ball, and no mony out of their own pocket to pay us with for partaking in all this

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It will provide an uncontaminated stream of recyclable material.

The target is to reach 90% recycling by 2030.

The system is supposed to be cost neutral to the consumer but given the current teething problems that's a bit of a hard sell at the moment

i have a question though. 90% is 9 out of 10.

if more than 1 in every 10 people decide to continue putting their deposit worthy recycleables in their green bin at home as usual, then how can we ever possibly reach the target of 90%?

its mathematically impossible and this isnt even including other potential reasons like cans being damaged and what not.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That was me being flippant, but if anyone was that cynical to expect fleecing by shops, fair play to them :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

imagine if there was a way possible to fleece them back lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Simply that they can be counted easier.

There was apparently no other way to do this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Cost Neutral methinks not. As I and others have pointed out waste collections will and HAVE increased prices due to the fact they will be collecting less aluminum from customers.

Well, I was referring to the operation of the Return scheme.

You do have a point though and some companies have raised prices.

Their customers deserve transparency on the reasons for the increased prices.

I haven't seen a breakdown showing how much is due to other factors ie. payroll, fuel etc. and how much is down to Return.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If it looks like a quango and acts like a quango.. then it's a quango.

Companies that are in the business of dealing with the public tend not to piss off their customers whilst quangos have no such qualms.

• Advertisement

This scheme and ReTurn may be non-profit but a good number of people will be getting good salaries out of this, ie CEO's and Directors on the board for example. So, in order to pay them where is the money coming from? We had a reasonably good scheme going and we were exceeding current EU targets for recycling. To me this was created for the Gov't to show we are being green and yet doing sweet f all about it and and divest themselves of any responsibility for further action and have a fallback position.

What comes to mind is Greencore, Telecom Eireann, PMPA, iodine tablets. e-voting machines, and Irish Water!

They really have to be paid, they have bills and mortgages like everyone else.

The funding of the company has been explained several times.

I know you are against the scheme but there's no point trying to connect it to a lot of previous problems. It's only going a couple of days.

I am sure all of the top position "employees" were in well paid employment before this scheme commenced. Otherwise their credentials for the positions would not be worth a single recyclable can. I can and will connect to a host of ill thought and blatant lies of the Gov't's of the day about rescue schemes etc.and how long the levy may last, or why it is good for yoyu or how the general population will be better off.

It's just not a quango no matter how many times you say it.

Life is full of uncomfortable truths.

I haven't looked up their cvs.

If you turn out to be right and Return becomes as big a disaster as those on your list I won't be pleased either.

How is not a quango?

Quango

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For other uses, see Quango (disambiguation).

A quango or QUANGO (less often QuANGO or QANGO) is an organisation to which a government has devolved power, but which is still partly controlled and/or financed by government bodies. The term was originally a shortening of "quasi NGO", where NGO is the acronym for a non-government organization[1]

As its original name suggests, a quango is a hybrid form of organization, with elements of both NGOs and public sector bodies. The term is most often applied in the United Kingdom and, to a lesser degree, other countries in the core and middle Anglosphere.

In the UK, the term quango covers different "arm's-length" government bodies, including "non-departmental public bodies" (NDPBs), non-ministerial government departments, and executive agencies.[2]

In its pejorative use, it has been widely applied to public bodies of various kinds, and a variety of backronyms have been used to make the term consistent with this expanded use. The most popular has been "Quasi-autonomous national government organization", often with the acronym modified to "qango" or "QANGO".

Can my local shop not charge a deposit on a recyclable can?

What happens if the shop does?

It's not government funded and it's not an NGO.

Would you really prefer if the system was being run by an NGO funded by a government department ?

I'm guessing not.

Return is a not for profit company.

I'm not sure what you meant by the bit at the end about your local shop.

Most "not-for-profit" companys are a scam anyway, even the name is misleading people for years.

not for profit really means you don't profit from donating to them, meaning you get nothing back in return. not for profits have no product to sell or give in return for your "donations/contributions" and are tax exempt. All money goes into their own pocket, they don't do not count as a businuess since they're not selling a product, they're still "doing" businuess however, and paying themself a salary, and paying for marketting and transport and selling the raw materials or donated produce. Everything the sell is donated to them and not considered as a product.

They even plan to buy land and a recycling plant at some point, as said by their CEO. Clearly not something they could do if they were not making a profit.

not for profit, as in they are not doing it for a profit, but rather doing it so they can grow bigger and profit in other "not for profit" ways and perks. very sneaky wording being used. They're not a charity and they clearly don't care about the earth or the consumers, they only really care about reaching the target goal at the end of the day. And are deliberately inconveniencing people to reach that goal.

all it really is, is EU brown nosing and political green man virtue signalling at best

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

At the end of the day the whole premise/justification behind it is fundamentally flawed.

We're told that ultimately it's to protect the environment and reduce litter - however the type of person who fly-tips or fecks their empty can/bottle out the window as they drive along or leaves it on the beach with all the rest of their crap isn't suddenly going to reform their ways for 15/25c or a few euro at most.

I don't have a recycling bin as I've posted before, yet I've never once dumped so much as a tissue on the street, never mind cans. They stay in the car until I get to a bin - whether it be at the shop/garage or home. That's just how I was raised. I dare say that the vast majority of people are the same, hence our already impressive rates of recycling and waste disposal.

The problem is for profit bin collections and companies operating like cartels in various areas to drive up the price or impose other measures that discourage engagement. It's now compounded by this latest "Green" scam that punishes people for doing the right things until now by charging them more at purchase, making it a ridiculous hoop jumping exercise to claim their "deposit" back, and then charging them AGAIN through increased bin charges.

And ultimately.... Despite the likes of Eamon Ryan and his ideological fantasists veering between lecturing people and trying to make out as though Ireland can save the planet, in the end it'll make zero difference anyway!

Ireland is a small island country with a population less than most major cities. We're simply neither that consequential nor important! When the likes of China, India and other developing nations can (and do) do whatever they want on the subject of "de environment" it matters not a jot how many Coke cans we recycle (or more accurately, crush and sell off to someone in those developing nations) nor how many people spend tens of thousands of Euro on a new "environmentally friendly" EV.

It's optics. It's political posturing and ultimately (as I said earlier) it's just another form of taxation dressed up as a "socially responsible/conscious" measure from a party/Government who is expert in such things. The fact that they can't even get the stupid machines working right from the off (after supposedly just copying working systems elsewhere) shows that once again the "Irish twist" of not learning from other people's mistakes but screwing things up even more continues as usual!

I have no doubt either that once it is bedded in that the costs to the public will rise even more and/or the refunds will reduce. That's just how we do things in Ireland.

It's a scam and I'll certainly not be traipsing around with bags of cans looking for a working machine or fighting with it over the cans/bottles it'll accept or getting the amount owed.

Anyone who believes different is just fooling themselves really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭ooter

I can understand the bottles/cans needing to be undamaged for returning through the RVMs but what is the reasoning for them needing to be undamaged for manual returns?

Surely once the return logo is visible it shouldn't matter what condition the container is in?

Apologies if this has already been asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Just back from the weekly shop in my local ALDI, I noticed the waste bin outside the door was overflowing with cans and plastic bottles among the regular rubbish. The return machine was around the corner and had its own reject slot so it's not like this is people getting rid of rejects. This is people not being bothered to walk the 10 metres to pop their container in the machine. Short of increasing the deposit amount to unreasonable levels I'm not sure this type of person is going to change their ways.

Correct in that not directly funded by the government nor is a NGO. But ReTurn would not exist without legislation from the Dáil, so in my reckoning it is damn close to a quango. Not for profit is a term that is a load of bollix and a half hearted excuse to cover themselves if expenditure is more than income.

its a fair honest question, the answer is: they don't care, and are making it harder for you to get your deposit back, and more hoops for you to jump through, thats why they don't care and want the container in good condition.

i agree with you a shouldnt matter what condition the container is in at all aslong as the logo is visible, but they're scumbags and are not here to do us any favors, only exist to inconvenience us.

they're too fussy on what is returned and how its returned, entire thing is a piss take.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Seems unlkely that people would bother bringing cans and bottles back that far and then not use the machine. Are you sure it was working properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The "wisdom" was if the RVM rejected the container because of damage you could just happily pop to a different shop that does manual returns and they would be more than happy to process your waste and give you back what is legally yours, your money.

Turns out stores doing manual returns don't really exist, which is hardly surprising.

So you can do what you want to the can, the net result will be the same, you are not getting your money back.

The Green man has to be obeyed at your cost and his convenience.

It's just the way it is and if you question that, you are just a crank.

The green man wants a word with you, and he is not impressed with you speaking out against him

Not certain about this but it's likely that manual return will be more forgiving of a dent or two.

A machine will only do what it's programmed to do, a human will use their judgement.

They are probably saying bring the can in good condition to make the job as easy as possible.

It's possible that the containers you saw in the waste bin had no deposit paid on them.

I imagine they were drank outside the shop by kids or people drank them while doing their shopping. Not specifically brought back. Machine looked fine, and there was certainly nothing wrong with the official reject bin.

• Advertisement

Possibly. But if they had the awareness to know what has a deposit and not when it's not even clear to people here debating the scheme for months then surely they'd have the cop on to use the proper recycling bin around the corner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement