Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I can’t find the answer to this anywhere but can I still continue to use my recycling bin as normal? Or can I no longer put cans or plastic bottles in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

you can put them in it, if you want. but you will be losing out on the 15-25cent deposits made on each of them at the time of purchase.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

yeah but my idea is more funnier. i like to imagine a bunch of them running around like rats and filling each bottle up and spilling half of it due to rushing around, instead of just simply re-labeling them.

Re-Labeling them with Re-turn labels is just downright cheating. THATS CHEATING!

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Rfrip

if they're allowed to re-label the non-logo bottles, with bottle labels containing the new logo and barcode, then how come i'm not allowed to do the same?

when i proposed the idea here in this thread i was told its fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Your just arguing for the sake of it now. The bottle hasn't changed at all. It's the same bottle. All that's changed is that there is now an incentive placed on people to return the bottle in a way it can be recycled properly.

I doubt any drinks manufacturers are telling Tesco to return its stock so they can relabel it. The factories are highly automated and hardly worth the effort to do what you are saying. The manufacturers are not making any profit on the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Mr Price charging deposits on cans that can't be returned. Re-turn have ignored email sent to them. I made a thread on this a few weeks back predicting this would happen. Like change rounding, retailers are scamming consumers and there's no policing of this.

tesco also took mi-wadi from their shelves and some others too.

but yes, what you said "All that's changed is that there is now an incentive placed on people to return the bottle in a way it can be recycled properly" why can't i do the same? if i find a beat up rejected bottle on the road that has a return logo on it, how come im not allowed to take that label and put it on my own perfectly good pre-feb 1st bottle of the same exact brand and return it?

it gives me incentive to not let the deposit go to waste, and at the same time i'm responsibly disposing of something someone else dumped away, and also returning one of my own pre-feb bottles in a way that it can be properly recycled, so thats 2 birds with one stone!

why cant i allowed to do that?

Because you haven't paid the deposit on your bottle.

neither have they if they're simply swapping labels. i sense a double standards issue here.

either way why should they care? someone else paid it anyway so atleast it had been paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,323 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've about 30 bottles/cans that don't have the logo on them but I will receive the deposit on when I return them as they are on the exemption list. I note these are all still on sale in NIRL so impact will continue.

Where is the money I will be getting back coming from, some class of a magic money tree?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

But but but this scheme is revenue neutral and a non profit to boot!

Waste Collection Rates

I would encourage all to check their waste collection providers for current rates as I did. It seems several, as reported on here have recently raised rate as I can personally vouch for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Can you get 5L sparkling water at Tesco? Never knew that...

RVM malfunctioned on me today, can of craft beer was bought on Saturday night, has both a barcode and a Re-Turn logo... The cashier in Lidl didn't know what to do and suggested I contact re-turn...

I will update with my findings

You best put the money in the poor box as this scheme is not for PROFIT

The drinks manufacturer is not charging the deposit so why would they get it back.

Since you are acting like a 5 Yr old ill explain it in child terms.

The supplier of the plastic bottles may not be the same as the guy filling the bottle so I'm not sure how they are going to profit off it.

These companies making billions of pounds profit. I doubt they are going to all the trouble of relabeling bottles for a few cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,323 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why has no mainstream media outlet asked why the machines are legal seeing as they are not wheelchair accessible and don't support the Irish language? RTÉ would be all over it if it was a machine selling Trump hats.

i never said they're profiting from it. How am i acting like a 5 year old? i only pointed out the double standards.

they are being fussy and not wanting people switching labels, yet they're switching labels themselves. tell me how that is fair in 5 yr old terms

What proof have you they are switching labels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

I bought a few cans earlier. Price tag on the shelf says €8. When I go to pay it says €8.60, due to the 4 x 15c levy. Price tag should say €8.60, it's misleading. Now I got to store up and carry the empties back to get my 60c instead of just putting them in the recycle bin as usual.

Minimum pricing laws first and now this recycling levy. It would drive you to drink

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They are accessibility compliant.

There is no requirement for businesses to offer services in the Irish language.

same proof they have of me switching labels.

i never said they were switching labels to begin with, someone else suggested thats all they would have to do, as opposed to filling new bottles with old water being taken off from the shelf and recalled.

you clearly musta just started randomly replying to me and not reading the actual thread itself, or where that part of the convo came from.

As has been mentioned numerous times before, the price without the deposit is displayed, the deposit is displayed beside it if you looked hard enough and you can still put your cans in your recycling bin. But don't let facts get in the way of a good moan

The return site got updated again. Probably wouldn't have killed them to have these details added a few months ago

My drinks container did not have a Re-turn logo on it, but I was still charged a deposit?

Should consumers be charged a deposit on a drinks container, please be assured that you will get your deposit back when you return it empty and undamaged to Reverse Vending Machine Deposit Return Points nationwide.

Starting February 1, 2024, retailers have a 4-month transition period during which they can sell both new drinks containers with the Re-turn logo and older drinks containers that do not feature this logo. During this time, drinks containers can incur a deposit in two ways:

• By having the Re-turn logo with a registered barcode
    • By having a barcode that is registered as part of the scheme without the Re-turn logo.

During the transition period, there will be old drink containers without a logo and with barcode not registered with the scheme; these drinks containers will not incur a deposit charge.

From June 1, all drinks containers included in the scheme will feature the Re-turn logo and barcode. If a consumer is in any doubt about whether their container is eligible for a refund on a deposit, they can visit https://re-turn.ie/consumer/#barcodeChecker to verify

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Who's betting on another website update on June 5th?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

yet they're switching labels themselves.

You were talking about them pouring the water into bottles that have the new labels. I suggested that IF they were taking them back from the shops, they would just re-label the bottles rather than re-bottle the water. (But they are not re-labelling bottles that are already in the shops.)

I should have known better to engage with you...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's all a load of bollox really. They can make crap like a TV licence enforceable, why not do the same with household waste. There is so much more worthwhile environmental things that could be done instead of this.

likewise. but where is all that water gone that got taken off the shelves? dare i ask, if it has been destroyed? or wasted. its a shame to see water go to waste. even the mi-wadi was taken off the shelf. i'm unsure what the reason for it is.

i'm hoping it was donated to charity. it would be a shame if they just simply binned the water because of no logo being on it.

i would like to know what happened with it. Also you replied to my reply that was replying to someone else, rather than my reply to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭nhg

People may have bulk bought water before the 1st Feb to avoid the deposit charge.

I bulk bought a few slabs of minerals for when contractors are in working on the farm as guys in tractors are not going to hand back in empty undamaged mineral cans. It’s nice on a warm day to be able to hands a nice cold drink to someone working long hours on a tractor miles from a shop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement