Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

not that it makes much of a difference in the grand scheme of things but i was quoted a few weeks ago €70 + VAT by kellehers for a 430w panel. i think the lad at the counter said they were jinko. he said last year they were 150 a piece.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Makes my argument even more telling!

1800 for panels, 1k for inverter, maybe another 1k for all fixtures and fittings..

Yeah. One thing could be skewing the quote,

Are they needing to do other works? Eg new yard consumer unit/house consumer unit/ new feed cables or anything like that?

The Tams costings is the max claim. If your invoice is less, well you only get 60% of the invoice amount.

Tams costings are also +vat too, and you only get paid on the excluding vat amount. (Talk to your accountant about claiming the vat back if your not registered)

As for batteries.

Your payback won't magically rise to 70%

If you get 1 5kWh battery, you'll only really get 4kwh out of it (losses, min SoC etc)

Done some rough math, you'd possibly gain another 20%.

Also, what stops the export on tams? Just a setting on the inverter.. once the grant is paid you can just turn off that export limit 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Can confirm this. Big time drop in the last 12 months. I’m almost 1 full year up and running myself now. Kelehers didn’t offer jinko this time last year; but I got them from FailteSolar. They have since become prob the most common panel. They are warning of disruptions in the Red Sea could cause another price hike. Kelehers have invested big in a huge distribution center; so they are gonna keep the stock flowing and the prices low.

the drop in panel prices combined with some wholesale deals like buy 5 get one free on huawei inverters was resulting is some quotes getting competitive again.

as these things go; I basically installed my system at the worst possible moment. But it will still be paid off in 6 years. I’m happy with my decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭michaelheno

6KW system

huawei invertor

huwei 5kw battery

eddy

ber

after grant price 9,850

seems a decent price

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭smpillai11

@HotSwap Thanks for your comments. Didn't realise solar edge was required proprietary battery. The sungrow inverter is hybrid. I will try to post a photo of the roof with shading. Weekend looks overcast :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭smpillai11

I would not like to get myself tied to one company's ecosystem. Might avoid SolarEdge in that case. David Hunts calculator suggests its on lower end of the recommended range

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

These threads finally the way back I think to 2017/18, so there are nearly 7 years worth of data here now,.and I assume the seai have fairlyq detailed figures over the period also.

With the program of PV panels haven fallen quite significantly since 2017, the price of batteries also has and continues to fall AND the state has removed vat from all new solar installs, you would imagine overall the prices have fallen since then, but it appears not.

Would be interesting to compile some info,.I wonder would a foi into the seai provide that sort of info ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Still pricing around, but looking to pull the trigger in a week or so.

How does this one look. Based in Dublin.

3.9kW system (3,800kWh estimate per year)

(6+3) x 435 Jinko Black Panels. 6 on main roof and 3 on flat extension roof with optimisers.

5kW Solis Hybrid inverter

Price before grant €7,200

After Grant €5,145

BER is included

I took proper measurements this morning. Accounting for the gap needed at the roof edge, I'm sure more panels can fit and I have asked for a quote with 8 on the roof and 4 on the extension.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 40 KingPanko

@markkelly9999

Only now seeing your question from a few days ago. I'm approved for the TAMS grant. They say you can't export but that is misleading, you can, they can't stop you and they can't stop you getting paid for export (if you have a smart meter). What they are doing is ensuring that they are only grant aiding an amount of PV that will have an estimated generation less than what you used last year.

TAMS grant is excellent at 60% however it is very very slow, I applied last May, got approved a few weeks ago, might have it installed by May this year and god knows when the grant will come into my account. So I'll pay full amount plus vat, get the vat back and get the grant 60% back some few months after. For me it is so good, the 12-18 month delay that it has caused will be worth it. Keep in mind that Tranche 2 has just closed tranche 3 opening date has yet to be announced, they won't start assessing the applications till after the tranche closing date so it might take you from now even longer to get approved. If you go with TAMS it will be next year, not this year that you be installing your solar. I did the application myself, some people are paying advisors to do it or getting their solar installers to do the applications for them. A few things that are not clear in the the t&Cs are that sky lights can't be removed if it is an animal shed and they need to have safety cages added before solar installed. If it an animal shed, it can't have an internal agitation point. Also the battery can only be 50%, the size of the PV array. No idea what the logic of that is.

If you have any questions of TAMS let me know.

As others have said, get more quotes, those ones are poor. What they are telling you on VAT is wrong, 13.5% should be the rate from the installers

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GReid2005

The reason no optimisers were in the sungrow quote is because Sungrows optimisers are only becoming available in the next 1-2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 uponontheroof

Hello all , im totally new to this so please bear with me . I wiukd really appreciate anyone's help and opinion on this .

I got a quote on a soar array .

11x jinko panels 435w.

Eddie hot water diverted.

Sungrow hybrid invertor 5kw.

5900 after grant without battery .

Is this a good price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 uponontheroof

Thats great , thank you .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭deezell

If the Sungrow 5kw hybrid is the SH5.0RS, this is a very versatile hybrid, as it has a built-in backup circuits for off grid operating, so your inverter will power up these circuits from panels or battery in the event of a power cut. It also has a huge oversize capacity on the input, 12 kwp. With enough panels you could be sending out maximum FIT, charging battery and power your essentials circuit well in excess of the 5kw grid limit. See the specs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

PM installer details?

I have a price of €10,400 after grant for

12x Jinko 435w (5.2)

1x hybrid inverter (Sofar)

5kw battery (Sofar)

BER cert included

Charging €370 for each additional panel, seems expensive.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

People keep saying panels are cheap and to look elsewhere if they're charging a few hundred for one but it doesn't seem to be a case of "ah sure they're on the roof anyway, it will cost you nothing to add them"

I haven't seen a single quote from any reputable company offering less than €1k/kWp, if panels were cheap surely the price would scale past 4-5kWp?

The price guide is around €1,000-1,200/kWp. If I'm quoted €5k for 5kWp or €6k for 6kWp that's in line with the price guide but you can also get €4k for 4kWp, so why isn't it just a case starting at 4kWp and paying €100/panel or whatever it is to get from 4kWp to 5-6kWp? They're already on the roof when you're getting 4kWp, so why is it still €1k/kWp when you're getting larger installations?

Not here to argue or anything, I just keep seeing people mentioning how cheap extra panels are but haven't seen a single quote reflecting cheaper additional panels. Trust me I wouldn't be trying to optimise my old panels if I could just pay €300 for a few new panels...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MTK_1966

Hi, I have a quote here, is it worth going for? It is a string inverter.

Non Battery System

6.56kWp of modules kitted to a Renac 5kW String Inverter

16 x REC Premium 405W Monocrystalline TP5 modules (All black modules)*

Bisol Mounting system on a *Slate Roof (*Price may vary on roof type)

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switchgear

Renac 5kW String Inverter

Costing

8,400 Final Cost before Grant Incentive

-€2,100 (SEAI Grant)

6000 Final Cost after Grant Incentive

Companies have to make money of course, but they're making some margin on the panels. Charging triple if not more of the cost price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭deezell

Materials for a 5kw non battery system easily less than €2000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Seems a great price. Given the size of the array would you not consider a hybrid inverter in case you decide to add a battery down the line?

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭DC999

I agree with you – that gets pushed a lot here at times. Panels are cheap, but……labour is the opposite.

If I had a company, I wouldn’t do work for free. So I can't expect them to either.

That said you’d expect to see some reduction if you’re making the system X% larger from their initial quote of € v kWp. That’s part of the negotiation when getting quotes. 

A 430w Jinko panel is €80 plus vat to a member of the public. Installer are getting discounts and there is no vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Core6

I know that I am responding to a relatively old post, but today is quite sunny here in Dublin. My south facing thermal solar panels (40 tubes) are reading 32 deg.C currently (the air temp is about 7deg.C)

There were some days in January that were sunnier and the panel temp was probably higher.

As a guide, 32 deg.C is not really hot enough for a shower but it is very close. The solar coil is very low in my 200 litre hot water tank so should raise the whole tank to that temp in a few hours.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

That companies hybrid inverter is typically an AlphaESS Smile5 which has proprietary batteries but are cheaper than equivalent Huawei batteries (if you were planning to DIY batteries). I expect they could sell you a hybrid Renac but any quote posted here it tends be the Renac for simple string inverter and the AlphaESS for hybrid.

New quote for:

14x Jinko 435w panels

Solis 5kw hybrid inverter

5.1kw Dyness battery

Installation

No BER

€9150 excluding grant

€7050 total cost to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 justmcguire

Quote for:

16x longi 410w panels

Solis 5kw hybrid inverter

"Battery ready"

Installation

No BER

€10795 excluding grant

West cork

Keep looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 plasticfish

it's been like that for a long time in a lot of technologies. the antidote is to pick your price point, and get the best kit you can at that price point, and don't look back!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I've had 3 solar quotes so far for my east/west oriented house. I asked about battery as well as I am still undecided about that part of it, and got not just different quotes, but pretty different advice on most suitable system also. House was built in 2017, A3 rated at purchase, has air to water heat pump, all electric house, usage in the last 12 months was ~5600kW. I'm in East Meath.

I'm waiting on a couple more quotes in the next few days, and will do some checking online for reviews, etc before deciding, but Quote 1 looks to be in the lead so far to me (whether with or without battery), but they didn't send someone round, it was done based on accessing street view, and sent a pdf with projections and assumptions, etc. Any help in deciding would be appreciated.

Quote 1 (with battery).

6.88kW solar system with 5kWh battery storage €9,600.00

Jinko Solar Tiger Neo JKM430N-54HL4R-B (430W) 16 (incl.)

Huawei SUN2000-5KTL-L1 (5.5kW) 1 (incl.)

Huawei LUNA2000-5-S0 (5kWh / 5kWh usable) 1 €3,500.00

Balance of system (incl.)

Network pre-approval (incl.)

Installation & labour (incl.)

Van der valk mounting (incl.)

Subtotal incl. VAT €13,100.00

Included VAT €0.00

Total incl. VAT €13,100.00

Seai Grant −€2,100.00

Total after Grant €11,000.00

Quote 1 (without battery)

Same as above - €3,500 (so price was €7,500)

Quote 2

This crowd said I really should have a battery, so that's what they quoted me. I don't have a formal written one, this was a verbal quote given during a home visit.

4.3kW solar system (10 panels, 5 front and back)

5.1kW battery

Price after grant and discount for having a sign up outside was €9,900

Quote 3

Another home visit, but a more formal quote afterwards. This guy said I really don't need a battery and just need more panels.

Install 18 No. 435W Jinko Solar Panels (System Value: 7.830 kWp)

25 year product & 30 year Linear Power warranty

Supply and fit Van Der Valk mounting system with 10 Year Warranty

Roof inspection & wind load analysis

ESB Connection

Safe Electric Certification

Free Lifetime System Monitoring

All the above: €9,169.00

Huawei Sun2000 5KLT inverter with 10 year warranty. This converts the DC voltage generated from your solar PV panel to AC voltage so it can be used to power your property.

€3,959.00

Supply and fit Dual Array

€449.00

Building Energy Rating & SEAI Grant Management (BER assessment - Required for SEAI grant)

€400.00

A discretionary discount has been applied to your quote

-€1,397.00

Subtotal

€12,580.00

Total after SEAI grant of €10,480

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bornalady

That is a very good price compared to anything I’ve gotten. Can you PM me the supplier please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Sparesandwiches

First time post here but I’ve been looking at this forum and this thread over the past while which has been really useful in getting up to speed on solar installs.

I had a salesperson call out to the house yesterday from a long-established energy company to give me a kerbside quote. I had asked about installing ~6kW system with hybrid inverter and eddi, and for a price with or without a battery as unsure if it would be worth getting. Our house is East West orientation, based in East Meath with annual use around 8,000 KWh (both WFH) and own an EV.

Now this lad told me a lot of stuff, was bashing Eamon Ryan (fair enough if that’s what floats your boat but know your customer!), that the solar grants would be gone next year and even doubled down on this one when challenged. Said I could only install a 4.5 kW capacity inverter, that I absolutely needed a battery because retrofitting one at a later date would be very expensive and would require a new inverter be installed. He then said his company do not install eddi anymore as they are causing thermostats to go on hot water storage tanks and are not worth the hassle they are getting because of this.

He then quoted me €15,000 for 16x420W panels (“price is for 15 but we’ll throw in another one for free”), 4.5kW inverter and 5kW battery before the grant.  

This is the first quote we have got for a solar install, needless to say it won’t be our last!

Advertisement