Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

Thanks for reminding us we have terrorism to worry about from this topic in addition to criminality, social disorder, closed hotels, housing issues etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Fg are right wing, at least economically.

I'd put them as liberal/populist socially.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,916 ✭✭✭suvigirl

While I appreciate this is supposed to be funny. Surely you understand that other jurisdictions don't use our legislation............

I have actually, many times, particularly the Serbian border. And yes the Serbs were definitely trying to be intimidating. But that's cos we were usually crossing the border with Kosovo.

Yes, they can. But I can't see any government turning their back on their obligations that they signed up to in the Geneva Convention, could you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I'll ask this. Wtf does a meager population of 3m natives!!!. On a small rock relatively to massive land mass across the world. Owe to a population of 8 billion? And growing I might add. The answer is fooking nothing. NOTHING! Considering our own history and strife. Get to fook. We do what we can against oppression to invite people to live like us . The rest can go to hell.

Post edited by Mr. teddywinkles on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

In that Examiner article linked earlier, it states that 1,774 A/Ss arrived in January (a cold, wet, **** month) with the single lads knowing they were most likely going into a tent - but they came anyway - 1,774 x 12 = 21,288 p/a

Basically, if 1,774 came here in the middle of winter, then the likelihood is that the monthly arrivals rate will be way more than 1,774 p/m in the better weather months, so we can stop talking about an overall rate of 15k p/a, and start realistically talking about a figure nearer to 30k p/a

This is because McEntee doesn't want to lose face (by not meeting her commitments) and didn't want Nigeria put on the safe country list. Has nobody mentioned to McEntee that the humiliation that she will suffer in the next GE will be total and saving face now is pretty pointless?

This sums up FG politicians in general - 'To save my own ass, I'm willing to fling any amount of taxpayers money at it, irrespective of the damage done to the country'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Go on ...tell us ? Where is the country with that meagre population ?

I can't figure your very angry post out .

Where are you talking about ?

And yet at time of writing 8 other posters seem to know where you are talking about ....

The current population of Ireland is 5,076,398 as of Monday, February 5, 2024.

So it can't be Ireland you are talking about , unless over 2 million of us are now not considered ' natives ', for some reason .

Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

You know full well he is talking about Ireland.

Maybe he was referring to ~3 million adults.

No need to be so childish about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Didn't see any reports of violent and thuggish actions from the dangerous far right yesterday

And it sounds like the far left counter protest was an utter failure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Drew Harris closed off the roads that the demonstors planned to take, so they had to march down O'connell St, all done to try and cause a confrontation with Boyd Barretts demo... That didn't work out for him. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

A worrying thing is that the Government reacts to protests. There were no protests in Lisdoonvarna and North Clare got more refugees per capita than anywhere else. Shannon took in a lot of refugees too, but when people protested against the opening of a direct provision centre there it was dropped. It was only after the riots that the Government started to pivot, which sends out a very, very bad message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I genuinely think they are one of the most incompetent Government's we have had. Stacked to the brim full of career politicians and NGOists who haven't a bulls notion how the real world works.

Everytime there is a policy implementation it causes an effect which the Government hasn't considered and is found scrambling on. This is inexperience - completely found out.

Paschal who has real world experience knows what's going on but seems smart enough to distance himself from the messy stuff! He's looking for the exit door by all accounts.

A report this morning that some kids may be left at home because there are no school places for them. It's like something out of the 50s. When people read this and then hear Varadkar or Eamon Ryan or the likes say that the country is not full they will freak out, quite understandably. What the fck have we got to offer immigrants when this is what we have to offer Irish citizens.

I would say that for about 20 years there was a conscious decision by much of the media and politicians to ignore any problems at all related to immigration and population growth, but that's not going to work any more.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/education/2024/02/06/parents-without-secondary-school-places-for-children-amid-enrolment-crisis/

They really and truly are shockingly incompetent. Politicians in Ireland receive a very generous salary and expenses so it attracts all sorts of careerists, and therefore people who are in it for the wrong reasons

The response to an increased level of immigration has been outrageously bad.

First of all they failed to limit it, at a time when there was a very serious housing crisis. It was let get so intense that people came out on the streets, protested against housing of potential refugees. It really wasn't necessary to allow it to decline so far.

Then the response has been full of lies and failure to acknowledge mistakes. Varadkar's letter to the Sunday Independent was a low point. There's been a really slow realisation that their ideology around immigration is not going to work in the present circumstances.

A competent Government would have at least tried to limit immigration prior to the Pandemic. It was already obvious there was a huge housing crisis, a lack of GPs and very poor hospitals.

And it's the arrogance that gets me, that they didn't expect any pushback. They know that Irish people are, by nature, not racist, and are more often than not people pleasers and desperate not to offend. They knew that the threat of being called far right and racist was enough to keep people silent. But people can only be pushed so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

We already have a sizeable right wing political entity here... FFG. They're very much economically right.

I can see a 'further to the right' government coming to power after the next GE.

I think, with the Greens to be annihilated, it's quite possible we see FFG work with some harder right coalition of independents.

While that might lead to some restrictions on IP immigration, I can only see more visa migrants being welcomed.

With that, and a strengthening of FFG's economic right mandate around privitization etc, the future does not look good for housing, health and services in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Ehhh ... no they aren't. The Tories have had Priti Patel and Suella Braverman as Home Secretary in recent times which in itself tells you what you need to know about where the party lies on the political spectrum these days.

The Tories have been pretty much diametrically opposed to the interests of big business since Cameron called the referendum. Liz Truss was effectively the zenith of that before it all became evidently unsustainable. While Sunak has overseen some rowing back towards traditional British conservatism towards business interests, they remain fairly resolutely right wing and at odds with the professional class

I enjoy the fact that this was written by someone clearly oblivious to the reality that the very technology they used to post this rant (the same technology that powers our economy and modern lifestyle) is comprised of minerals sourced from all over the world.

The quality of modern life is owed largely to the development of global co-operation, trade, diplomacy and goodwill into an international community (and let's not forget a good long period of Western capitalist global dominance from which we have been enormous beneficiaries).

But yeah don't let that get in the way of a good rant about how we owe nothin' to nobody or whatever it is you're getting worked up about.

Duplicate

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

The Tory party are led by big business. Look at their leaders. Priti and suella weren’t ever able to actually get anything done.

Because we own a smartphone, uncontrolled mass immigration should continue at the current rate? Nah

I don't know how many times it needs to be said but the vast majority of people are not against immigration. It has many benefits and has brought many benefits. But the current mismanagement of mass uncontrolled immigration to the detriment of Ireland and its limited resources is an entirely different thing altogether

As I'd see it, the whole matter isn't about race or where people are coming from, it's more about how unrealistic it is for Ireland to comfortably accommodate so many people.

Priti and Suella weren't able to get anything done because their policies were largely moronic garbage that landed well with people who like to think that realism and functionality are not pre-requisites for the successful implementation of policy. They are both effectively microcosms of Brexit itself.

Labour are ahead in polls in the business centres of the UK. Barely a few days ago, they hosted what could be described as a mini-Davos exclusive gathering of business VIPs at The Oval cricket ground — something that would have been a laughable concept a few years ago.

The Tories are right wing and certainly aren't dancing to the wishes of big business.

"Because we own a smartphone, uncontrolled mass immigration should continue at the current rate"

Jaysus, not sure how some people on here sleep at night when every statement at odds with their world view must be interpreted in the most extreme way possible, to include things that were never said. Where did I ever say anything about uncontrolled immigration? In fact, where is anyone saying that?

My point was simply that a view of "owing the world nothing" is unrealistic and that the existence of a co-operative and integrated international community is a primary factor in our ability to be a modern developed nation. The fact that I happen to think that this reality is part of the reason that immigration is an inevitability that needs to be acknowledged (and with that, better and more realistically both at the political and societal level), does not make me pro "uncontrolled immigration".

When the poster said that Ireland owes the world nothing, it was a reference to the kind of arguments that are like "ah shur Ireland should take in as many immigrants as possible because the Irish went to America 200 years ago/ Irish people have moved to Australia etc". It was very clear that they meant that Ireland should not have to stretch it's own resources to breaking point and to its it's own detriment. You're the one who went off on an unrelated tangent about minerals on technological devices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,613 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The idea of "controlled" immigration is a bit of a fallacy. Governments only have very limited control over how many people enter or leave their country in a given year - there are way too many variables involved.

They can of course implement rules to either encourage or dissuade immigration or emigration, but there's no guarantee people will follow or ignore said incentives or discouragement. It's like thinking you can 'control' the unemployment rate, or birth rate, or marriage rate, or inflation rate or anything else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement