Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

What, from the couple of seconds of rudimentary gameplay we see in that clip, makes you believe it would have been superior to the Bloober team version that isn't even out yet? From reading the further on that thread, it would have been made by the same team that made the Short Message game which is a fairly tepid experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a chance this will be good as opposed to Bloober team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I wonder if MS is going this direction because they believe that they can get Game Pass on PS? Only the other day, the EU forced Apple to open up their App Store to allow apps like Game Pass, and the EU and UK regulators have talked about the market dominance of Sony in consoles. The US regulator didn't talk about it, but once the FTC was brought in front of a judge, that judge seemed shocked that the regulator was looking at MS and not at Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I'll take the sensible option and reserve judgement until the game comes out.

Any thoughts of Silent Hill: Short Message?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Looks like something is happening anyway. MS has never been able to keep a secret.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well it was a bit tongue in cheek as well. I'd love to be surprised by the game.

Alas I've no PS5 to try short message. I heard it has some involvement from the higurashi writer so at least has some good ideas in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The most watched ‘business update event’ Microsoft’s ever likely to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

We're listening and we hear you....and we've been busy asking chatgpt to give us an answer that will get us out of this mess.

I think there has been irrepreparable damage. Either the rumours are true or if they are not they're rumours that will always be hanging over the console.

Many people will never but an xbox again, on top of all the gamers they already lost after the xobx one debacle. The question is, do Microsoft really care?

If true it's another example of capitalism just chasing short term goals. Didn't see an immediate uptake in sales with the Bethesda acquisition, which was never going to happen as this console gen is well established and kind of winding up. So instead of playing the long game and trying to create a 360 level console and library to challenge the dominance of the PlayStation they instead hit the nuclear option of easier quicker profits and more than likely tropedoing their hardware business as a result.

The most telling part of that is COD not coming to game pass because it would not be profitable. Nail in the coffin. I've always been suspicious about the delay in bringing it to GP so far. They said it would take time but we know it doesn't, not this much time anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

CoD not coming to Gamepass, after they spending $75.4 billion to acquire them, is a massive kick in the teeth. I know they kept a deal to have it on PS going forward, but the big draw was not having to "pay" for it on Xbox. It feels like it's starting to crumble. I just hope they can do something to save it, because as much as I'd consider myself a slight Sony fanboy, I still see the need for competition, and even I don't want to give Sony all the market, new releases would immediately shoot up to €100, and Nintendo wouldn't be long following suit. Just, MS needs to get back to making good games for the technically more powerful Xbox. Having a streaming service you can access anywhere is great, but if you're not pumping out the games to go with it... and if they're not making their own killer games, then they're an unnecessary middle man really who is hoovering up studios and shutting them down... certainly a far cry from the saviours of gaming some Xbox fanboys were alluding to.

Please also note that most of my comments towards Xbox are tongue in cheek. I don't want them to fail, competition is good, I just want them to focus on the real meat of gaming, the games... Maybe having the benefit of a decent online for the PS360 era is what won them, but I remember playing most my games on 360 during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Next week Phil will announce a console collaboration with Sony, with the new console to be called PlayBox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Xbox never sounded right in the first place....

At the very least a collaboration would hopefully mean Sony help MS with their console naming scheme.

Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X/S....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭McFly85

Be interesting to see what the strategy is for porting games over - like Sony with their PC releases which happen a couple of years down the line?

Anyway I’m not surprised they’re going this route. To gain significant market share in this industry it’s not enough that you do well, your competitor has to do badly, which doesn’t look like happening any time soon.

And it’ll be interesting to see what happens with Gamepass. While I definitely think there’s a place for a subscription service in gaming, I’ve never thought that it would work as the primary way that people would access games. While I’ve gotten some decent use out of it(primarily from Day-1 indies), I can never justify keeping it. Last year I had it a couple of times, but then BG3 came out and took months of my gaming time up so there was no point in keeping it. Similar thing happened with Elden Ring. AAA games tend to be large enough that if you get into one not on Gamepass, you’re not going to need Gamepass for a while - and the cost is significant enough to keep it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If I'm being honest, I'm probably the ideal PS+ subscriber at this point. there's maybe 2 games i'll ever buy a year and the rest of the time, I'm happy for the cost of another 2 games to have a subscription to try whatever is available on the PS+ catalog. I bought an Xbox one X when they were discounted and got a year of gamepass and I actually really like the console and format, but I'm basically after falling into the playstation ecosystem with zero chance of falling out of it again. So keeping two subscriptions going just didn't make sense (said as a man with a netflix, disney+ and a prime video subscription)

Re Xbox going 3rd party TBH I fail to see the problem and / or any reason to be disappointed unless you're a hardcore Xbox fan. We gamers only have to win from this move, and actually it will be better if 1st party exclusive games will go away altogether. Play any game on any platform should be the absolute normal, with no artificial exclusives intended to keep the customers captive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Really the only downside could be a lack of competition for Sony, particularly when it comes to the next console. An arrogant Sony is a bad Sony. Look at the launch of the PS3 for example (and likewise, an arrogant MS had similar with the Xbox One launch).

There's definitely far more good than bad in MS bringing their games to Playstation, but competition is always vital. Nintendo pretty much operate on their own and aren't really rivals to Sony/MS. Steam/PC may become the bigger competitor to Sony given that it's becoming far easier to access PC gaming these days, particularly with the likes of PC handhelds like the Steamdeck and its competitors, but it's competition which has kept Sony in check over the last 15-20 years (and even then Sony haven't had to try match what MS did with gamepass, day one releases etc). If MS ease off with regards their own consoles, Sony may start sticking the boot in.

Sony may start sticking the boot in

Maybe that's what's needed to wake up competition and antitrust regulatory agencies.

Expect Sony to hike game prices towards the €100 region and console prices in the upper hundreds . With no competition they can, have and will do as little as possible for as much profit as possible (and Nintendo is not competition, they're in a different universe).

I think Sony set out to destroy Xbox in the PS4 gen and it looks like they have succeeded.

Xbox as a 3rd party is also not guaranteed to succeed. Xbox saying they're bringing games to PS is well and good but what do Sony say about it? Will they play nicely? Or will they not stop until xbox as a brand is utterly destroyed.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think it was more of a series of poor decisions from MS rather than anything Sony did - Sony merely course corrected after a pretty disastrous previous gen.

MS announced the Xbox one talking about television and Kinect, it was underpowered in comparison to the PS4 and exclusives were pretty much all existing franchises with middling reviews. The big killer as Phil has said himself, was this was the generation that people started their digital libraries, making it very difficult for people to decide to jump to another platform.

And I absolutely expect Sony to be happy enough to have Xbox games on their platform. There’s no real downside to it from their side. They get more revenue and players have less of a reason to get an Xbox. It might pave the way to GamePass on PlayStation at some point.

I think the big issue when it comes to MS success as a third party is really going to be down to the quality of their output - which is an area that they have struggled in since the 360 era.

Better late than never. When we have studios doing mass layoffs because one game didn't sell well enough yet they didn't even try to sell it on a significant section of the market then something needs to be done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don’t think there’s any realistic prospect of regulators forcing companies to release first-party games on other platforms. That’s not really how it works - they’re not going to force Netflix to release its films on Amazon Prime, either.

What likely will happen though is a challenge to the ‘walled garden’ approach, which will impact situations when a competitor wants to release a game or app on a rival platform. So while the EU might not tell Sony to release God of War on Xbox, they might step in if Xbox wanted to release a Game Pass streaming app on PlayStation but Sony refused. We’re already seeing it with Apple - Apple’s being forced to open up their platform, but isn’t being forced to make their first-party software available on Android. There’s a significant difference there.

That said, Apple’s doing everything in its power to open up iOS in a way that’s hostile to other platforms, so I’m sure there’s a big fight ahead. I just don’t think it’ll get to the point when every game is forced to be platform agnostic.

I really don't think that MS will ditch physical hardware, or even go primarily cloud. I'm excited to see what their next console will look like, what with them taking a long look at an ARM CPU, and shopping the GPU to Intel and Nvidia, not just AMD.

I also really don't think that they'll release their games day and date on PS, I think for most games it'll be at least a year between versions. Will that make a huge difference? I don't think so, not really. For some in here, yeah, obviously, but for most "gamers"? No, I really don't think so.

I also don't think they will ditch consoles. But that is not the issue, the issue is gamers are going to ditch the platform because of it. Nobody cares about getting xbox games day one and will happily wait 1-2 years for it to come to PS if it means a PS is all they need to play all games.

I saw another rumour that they're working on a switch type dockable console for next gen, but I don't want to jump on every rumour I see on twitter!

But as far as rumours go, there is clearly something to the rumour that games are coming to PS and whether xbox are still committed to condole hardware or not, it is the fanbase reaction that will decide if this is the end game or not.

It is bad decision after bad decision with xbox. Both hardware and thier games. It is not beyond belief that they would screw up spectacularly on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The reaction of so-called influencers has been both hilarious and depressing, from denouncing the brand to actually destroying their consoles. Lunacy. Fanboys are simply awful human beings.

It's like what happened to Sega after the Dreamcast failed. Except Sega made good games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't understand why people thinking destroying their XYZ is meant to be a defiant act; you already gave them your money ya dingus, and now you'll pay twice when you quietly buy another one later.

Advertisement