Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Take away our 37 year old super star and we would struggle against the top 7/8

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

I think I could see more of David Franks Ballygunnar style of hurling with Wexford yesterday more so than Davy fitz/Jason Ryan football tactics.

It will be interesting to see what way Lyng uses TJ Reid throughout the league.

Ive a feeling the OLG lads will all be back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭me89

You could argue that we don't beat Clare last year without his block but probably time to move on.

We stupidly let Galway back into last year when well ahead but I'd love to know how we robbed Clare .

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Is Alan Murphy not dropped from the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Look the job of the defence is to.

1/ to stop the opposition.

2/to deliver good quick ball into the forwards

yesterday they messed around with the ball passing it backwards and sideways and generally overcooking it. It’s not f…..g rugby. I don’t like giving out about players but I agree with what was said about Eoin Murphy, and Billy Drennan was running using his hurl as a walking aid ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lob it in

Lads on this forum expecting big things from B Drennan are gas,he didn't puck a ball at Junior level in the championship just gone and people expecting him then to perform at the very highest level now....mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

😆😆😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

But what about Paddy Deegan Village87? You forgot to bring him into it...

Billy to be fair had a very god league up until the final where we were given a lesson last year.He was also very good for the u20 the last 2 years. He was excellent in the all ireland against limerick.He got injured before the u20 leinster semi final and was a big loss to that tea. He recovered from injury and got an important point in the leinster final

There is absolutely no doubt he has struggled when he went back to the club. He was very average at junior and u21. He should be standing out neck and shoulders at this level.

He only came on for maynooth but he ran for a ball in front of me sunday and he was very slow. He did strike the penalties well but that last free should of being scored wind or no wind it shouldnt of dropped into fannings hand. Derek has a job on his hands to get him going again. Eoin cody will probably stay on the frees for the league.

Theres not many positives to take from last sunday but Corcoran done alright at 3 and it could give them a chance to look at huw at 6 again. Molloy done well for his first day.cian kenny was very busy i thought and mullen was our only real threat up front.The stats dont lie and 7 points from play is scandalous.This is dereks second year but our lads are just playing short ball for the sake of it or they have to. Our puckouts are atrocious and havent improved. Surely to god they talk about this and know theres no plan for puckouts.everyone blamed cody for years but theres no improvement.I watched plenty of bad ball going into the fowards some brutal balls actually. Nobody seems to know what they are doing and just hitting short ball for the sake of it. Fogarty had his back turned and tommy hit a ball to him. You wouldn't see that at minor.i know its only the 1st round of the league and conditions are poor but we just still arent comfortable playing the short ball.Another big concern the last few years we just cant close out games when in the driving seat. Against galway twice last year we done our best to throw it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Fogarty did not have his back turned when Tommy Walsh passed that ball to him. It wasn't a great pass but Fogarty was way too casual going to meet it.

Fair enough i was other end.i havent seen it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Anyway three matches in cork at the weekend minor challenge in pairc Ii chaiomh before the seniors and the U20’sare playing down there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wedger90

Anyone know the minor/u20 panels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Wonder will a crowd travel to support Kilkenny in Cork over the weekend? Is the hunger there among the supporters. Corks a fantastic city to visit. The last 2 All Ireland Finals have seen Kilkenny support swamped by Limerick numbers. I think its a factor.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Charlie69

He didn’t have his back turned but he was definitely surprised that Tommy Walsh tried to pass the ball down the middle of his own defence (a big no no in my day )and then Tommy didn’t put enough on it. You could possibly argue that Fogarty should have been more alert alright.

As far as i know the u20s played Limerick the weekend

• Advertisement

Any players stand out ?

What players do Kilkenny have of note playing in the fitzgibbon q-f this week ?

Post edited by Village87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Think Sunday's game was very disappointing in lots of ways. Firstly it was just a very poor game of hurling, the first half especially. The wind may have something to do with that but a lot of it was just down to poor play and taking the wrong options. It looked like both teams were told when they won the ball in the half forward they were to offload to someone running off the shoulder instead of trying to take their own score and it led to both teams being dispossessed a lot. Secondly, it was disappointing to once again not win a game that we were in pole position to win coming down the stretch. After getting ahead and getting a 3/4 point lead after the first penalty and let Wexford get back level but to do it a second time after the second penalty was unforgivable! For so many years under Cody if the game was tight in the last 10 minutes you knew we would tough it out and win but now unless we are well ahead you don't get the feeling that this team will see it out.

I thought the backs on Sunday played well, Corcoran showed up well and I think after looking at him for Shamrocks and on Sunday maybe full back is his best position. Moylan did well without doing anything spectacular but he didn't look out of place and he will improve with every game he gets. Tommy Walsh had a good game but his pass to Fogarty for the goal was awful and I think he deserves as much blame for that goal as Fogarty, if you going to play short passes from defence they have to go to hand. David Blanchfield was good again and I think he's a massive player for us. Jordan Molloy can be happy with his debut and I think he will improve as the year goes on. Richie Reid was good in the first half when he was the free man but in the second half when he had to mark up I think he struggles, I think this is Richie's big problem, as a sweeping centre back he does well but when teams push up on him he isn't a good enough defender to play centre back and that's a massive problem for us.

The midfield did ok, Kevin Blanchfield did ok for his time on, scored a point and hit a bad wide in the second half. Cian Kenny had his best game in a long time and I thought when he went off we struggled there without him, hopefully he can build on this as he is a very skilful hurler and we definitely are lacking them at the minute. I have no problem with Fogarty and Buckley being on the panel and they could play a big role come championship but we didn't need to see them on Sunday and I think we missed a trick in not giving more of the young lads a chance.

The forwards were a big concern again and the fact that we only scored 0-7 from play shows this up. Cody played well but tired in the second half which is understandable having played Thursday night for SETU Carlow. Mullen was getting better the longer the game went on, so hopefully he'll be very sharp for Saturday against Cork. Heary did ok but needs to take his own score instead of looking to give it away but I thought his work rate and the energy he brought the team was good. Mossy was as effective as usual, didn't play great but got a point and won the penalty, I think when we're playing him he needs to be in the full forward line and get him running at defenders. Billy Ryan was poor again, won a couple of frees just after half time and it looked like he might take off and play well but died off again, his miss when we were 3 points up after the second penalty was really poor and he should have done better. Shine didn't have his best game but he's just back after a long lay off and I thought he showed up well but unfortunately nothing stuck for him.

One area a lot of people have spoken about over the last few years is the goalkeeper. Murphy is obviously an unbelievable shot stopper but his puckouts are putting us under more and more pressure. A few times during the second half on Sunday Richie Reid got him self into a pocket of space to receive a puckout, a fairly simple pass to give him but on both occasions Murphy ignored him, went long and Wexford got 2 scores off him. A few people have sad we need a goalkeeping coach and maybe we do but if a keeper isn't able or doesn't have the confidence to try the short puck out a goal keeping coach won't do a whole lot. I think a serious conversation needs to be had about switching keepers and starting Brennan/Tallis/Mason.

Saturday in Cork is going to be very very tough so we need a big improvement all round, but especially in the forwards! It will be very interesting to see the team that is picked and if any additional OLG players are back or if John Donnelly returns. Corks defence will not be as tight as the Wexford defenders but their forwards will be more dangerous and it will be a good test for our backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I wasnt at it only talking to a lad in the park sunday who was it. He said marty murphy was the standout player anyway.

Few u20s were released back from senior after the waterford match.langton and joe fitz anyway

Fitzgibbon joe fitz is with ucc he started the other night. Cian kenny and eoin cody with carlow. Ian byrne comes on for ul.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

What a load off old rubbish

Eoin Murphy all star we would be gone out of championship last year early only for him

if people first touch not good enough you can’t play short puck out

Richie Reid not good enough he can only play loose

you named 3 forwards mossy Ryan Donnely they have showing they no good enough

you mentioned there is a place for Buckley and fogarty there is carrying the water the only reason they staying in there is for car and money

lyng should get rid off Tommy Walsh

richie Reid

buckley

fogarty

walter

mossy

donnely

ryan the only man to play in all Ireland and did not get a puck off the ball

I said when lyng came in he should have built his own team with whatever brand off hurling he wanted

look at Wexford where they were last year you can see the improvement and they got silver all ready and don’t say it’s only Walsh cup it something we can’t win

all you see from kilkenny is the same old ****

i suppose to talk bull **** well what the rest off you talking because anyone things the

has beings playing for kilkenny will win all Ireland are fooling themselves

see you all for the championship

hopefully a miracle will take place between now and then

Remember one win out of 11 against Wexford speaks for itself

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Wexford have raised there game to play Kilkenny for the last 8 years

As Kilkenny regularly pummelled them in Leinster for the 10 years previous to that

Wexford have won 1 Leinster title and a couple of Walsh cups in 8 years

kk have won 6 if not 7 Leinster titles since 2016 and played in 4 all Irelands so they ve been the 2nd best team in the country for 4/7 years

While Wexford have barely won a knockout hurling match in the championship over that period or even played in a knockout hurling match

I know which team I’d rather be supporting a team at the top table i.e. kilkenny not some team that’s happy to get some moral victories in preseason tournaments and league games or round robin games but s**t the bed when the real hurling starts

Thank you. Marty Murphy is a top prospect, I thought he was in with the seniors.

The Fitzgibbon Cup is always a good guide to player development.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

2 best team and we can’t beat Wexford

tiger woods great saying 2 is first loser

last 3 all Ireland’s 3 of the biggest defeats in the history of the game

league final last year as poor a display by any kilkenny team

maybe that’s why we are where we are people like you accepting 2 best

that was never kilkenny way

go back to 1991 kilkenny hurling at its lowest

then the great Ollie came in and turned it all around by bringing in one or 2?players repositioning one or 2 particularly John power

we need some one with vision and hurling brain all lyng can do is play lads he played with has not courage to drop them and then bring in young lad from his own club

you will be loser for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Have you actually seen Marty Murphy much? I'd question how much people describing him as a top prospect have seen him play outside of a couple of junior games for Tullogher. I definitely haven't seen enough to judge him fully but I've seen him a good few times underage and people need to calm down a bit. Blinded by his size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jamesbond2022

We’re not in the 90s any more time to get over it the game has moved on

Kilkenny are not where they were at the moment similar to the 90s but things always turn around

Your constant negativity and bashing of lyng and older players is a bit of a joke at this stage he’s been in the job 2 years and has done aswell as Cody did in his last year

Before lyng you bashed Cody all the time his teams took trimmings in the league and big finals

Limerick are chasing 5 in a row or have you forgotten kk didn’t exactly play a bad team that day limerick are pure class

Lyng has brought in players from all over the county and your still fixated on 2-3 older players and a younger player from his club that shouldn’t be there in your opinion

You never mention Tj Reid when discussing the older brigade he has had bad days the last few years also and made plenty of mistakes

If the older players aren’t there to drive standards and set a culture for the younger players how do the younger players develop and learn ?

You can’t just get rid of older players Willy nilly there experience can’t be replaced

Bringing in younger is all well and good but you can’t expect them to be the finished article right away

I’m not accepting 2nd best for one second I’m just stating that being bet by Wexford isn’t as much of a big deal as you make out thats there all Ireland most years and they seem happy once they can beat us they have flopped every year they beat us

There supporters were happy enough do dance a jig on the field to dancing at the crossroads last year after they beat us even though they’re championship was over

To me that’s a real losers attitude

My point is we’re still operating at a higher level than Wexford there yard stick shouldn’t be to beat us every year

We striving to win the all Ireland the last 2 years and we’ve been a hell of a lot closer than Wexford and we aren’t to far away

Who would you bring in with vision instead of lyng

Martin fogarty or Tom Mullally maybe ???

Advertisement