Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Update today, bit of over and back through emails.

I have been asked to check

If another RVM will accept it - 4 of them across 2 different shops wouldn't

The barcode might be "slightly scratched or dented" - not a good sign for anybody trying to return

Recommend that I return the can manually - no idea where my nearest manual return point is, neither did the re-turn person on email

In a complete contradiction to what we have been told all along, the deposit may not be refundable on certain products

The one thing I can't check is the retailer must refund me the deposit if I have been incorrectly charged one... Without a receipt that's simply not going to happen though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Contact the head office of the chain you bought it from the details are maintained by them. They can also see the history of when the DRS charge was added to the product

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

There seems to be a lot of missed opportunities with this scheme, why not let individuals make submissions to update the system online (at home or by scanning the items at the return location?). If online at home then have the return scheme check it before updating the entire system? I haven't seen any locations (none near me nor the new barcodes, is it existing barcodes or is there now an additional ones for recycling? I didn't garner that info from the website)

Also, why cant people have a keytag type barcode/app, like a customer loyalty scheme, overall an app based system too, that you can either scan your tag or on phone screen bar or qr code?? and then upload any deposit return to your account?

Recovering your deposit, is limited to the store where you drop the items off? why not tie it into a code within an with a shops customer loyalty vouchers (also via the return scheme app or a shops own loyalty app), it sounds like people have to get strips of paper receipts printed off, if thats the case it is a bit of a joke, what happens if the token receipt system runs out?

The Return.ie site shows very limited information in terms of how you complete a return or recover your deposit which could be helpful for people doing returns, crappy loud animations, they couldn't do a linked youtube clips? showing returning of items?

Whats to stop someone making copies of barcodes? and applying them to appropriate material? an old beer can and the exact same can with a return code, if its recycling correctly? or one with a damaged code?

What about outsized containers? like 5litre water bottles? will they fit?

It's possible people will be more careful with the materials for recycling that have a deposit on them, but are we going to have to be watchful we are getting charged for deposits beyond the overlap period or will it only be on deposit refundable items? because it seems like its not according to some posts, especially given there is an overlap!

It looks to me like a system that is overly complicated and not really interested in achieving the stated goals of recycling, more like a system to get the deposit, and maybe if you check every box, you may get it back.

The aim should be to making every material used for packaging recycleable or minimizing its use with the view to removing non recycleables from use eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I wouldn't be advertising that too widely - wouldn't be good for the career I'd reckon.

There seems to be a lot of missed opportunities with this scheme, why not let individuals make submissions to update the system

Hoping this will be the result of my above experience

Also, why cant people have a keytag type barcode/app, like a customer loyalty scheme, overall an app based system too, that you can either scan your tag or on phone screen bar or qr code?? and then upload any deposit return to your account?

You mean instead of using a voucher on a receipt? Simplicity I'd guess is the main reason

Recovering your deposit, is limited to the store where you drop the items off?

It isn't, you can get cash and bring the cash to another store

The Return.ie site shows very limited information in terms of how you complete a return or recover your deposit which could be helpful for people doing returns, crappy loud animations, they couldn't do a linked youtube clips? showing returning of items?

It's true, like something a 5 year old designed

Whats to stop someone making copies of barcodes? and applying them to appropriate material? an old beer can and the exact same can with a return code, if its recycling correctly? or one with a damaged code?

Nothingb stopping you

If you worked on somethings and it always 100% works congratulations. In the real world everything has teething problems and very rarely one person is responsible. I have yet to hear anything that is a big deal and people mixing up all the responsibilities. Lots of organisations are involved and have different responsibilities. Charge by a store by mistake, they are responsible, not Re-turn

• Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What part of this have you actually worked on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭jos22

the time the machine in store was rejecting bottles that had the deposit but not the logo, we rang the retailer support number for the machines, they had us run an update and reboot the machine, after the reboot the bottle were accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

I think that not having some account/app based system, makes it simpler for them, doesn't mean it makes it better for the end user OR recycling overall. It actually looks to complicate the return deposit system in favour of the system/against the recycler, if someone doesn't get their deposit returned because, it looks like its a paper based till receipt type record, aside from being outdated, it is prone to such a hardcopy system failing or running out of paper. I see someone referred to the German system and they were corrected that deposits aren't paid for, but what wasn't corrected which I think that poster have pointed out is, that they don't appear to limit recycleable materials based on a barcode. If the deposit return is based on plastic materials rather than just based on a barcode it would encourage recycling and combat some littering. Even if material is rejected as not being viable as its the wrong material, but not because it is damaged/or missing a barcode, the material should still be recyclable and refundable.

A system that is based on an account makes more sense, as the RVM means the person has to go to the shop to get a refund, thats silly itself and it seems needlessly complicated and time consuming, when it could be uploaded automatically to a persons account, where they should be able to apply for vouchers for any retailer that wants to be added, OR even any credit to be refunded to a bank account or revolut card.

Yep, just found another crappy video clip, can they not do a straightforward clip and just say which plastics are recycleable using the existing material and no. types within the mobius symbol for recycling, that website is a ridiculous mess, they are literally making it cartoonish, not straighforward and just easy to do, just like the implementation of this. I hope this is teething problems and they do some updates and take feedback rather than what I expect, dig their heels in and ignore. I don't really get why this isn't run by CoCos in conjunction with retailers either, and while I understand why very small locations wont have an RVM, hopefully they will become more widespread as the nearest one to me appears to be 15km, thats ok for me as I have a car, although Id still have to go out of my way to get to it, Id probably be better going further just so one is on my route.

What difference does it make? I work with software is all you need to know

Your the one making claims. What I want to know is what I asked.

We will file it under spoofing.

You do understand people have contracts that restrict the details they can give out? Me telling you more information won't validate the claim as I will still be the person giving the validation.

I didn't ask for details

I asked

What part of this have you actually worked on?

You were all too happy to tell people you worked on it but when asked a basic question you are pleading the fifth.

It would give out information I don't wish to. Don't believe me. I do know more on the subject than people who make up stuff here

Don't believe me

I don't.

I do know more on the subject than people who make up stuff here

You demonstrated quite clearly you don't.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Strangely enough, I heard Joe Duffy raise precisely this issue a few days ago.

But sure don't let fact get in the way of knocking fact-based serious news media!

Pat Magee making an absolute holy show of your "knowledge".

Also claiming not everything is 100% perfect whilst also claiming the machine is infallible.

• Advertisement

Not my software and I am not responsible for the data uploaded to the RVM. This is where I show your lack of knowledge because just working on software does not make me responsible for every store/chain and their procedures. You would want to be particularly ignorant of the IT industry to assume one person working on DRS software is responsible for all stores.

When you are sweeping a street are you responsible for all streets to be swept?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

@Ray Palmer I would be interested in your thoughts on where you think the problem is with @Pat Magee Coke Zero. Even if its not your responsibility you have more knowledge than us, so you may well know.

the product has an international barcode (as confirmed by you, I think?), a deposit was charged. So far so good. i.e. That is Coke not making an error (registering the barcode as producer), and the retailer not making an error by charging the deposit.

It seems to fail when the bottle comes to Re-Turn, either on their checker or at an RVM.

Why would that be. Is it re-turns error, as I believe it probably is, or are we missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

Just wondering if it's unusual or common but I've been to a Lidl store on 2 separate occasions since 1 Feb and on both times the 2 RVMs were out of order. Been to Tesco as well and the RVMs were working

The manufacturer has to let Re-turn know of the barcode. Re-turn have to update their website. The store buyer has to make sure the DRS flag is on and update in the system. The RVM has to get a data upload which is mostly automatic based on the buyer information but maybe update manually.

4 points of possible user error without any software failure.

I will correct something I said as I believed it was a can as opposed to a bottle. Some Coke 500ml products got new barcodes. I doubt Coke forgot to inform Re-turn but that still leave 3 other points of human error failure

Then what is you problem? Bring it and see if it works

I have to say one thing I find good about these machines is the speed at which they operate at... Bottles/cans taken and voucher printed in a matter of seconds. The voucher is both recyclable and compostable so no big deal there either

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The whole project is without merit. You outlined some of the issues with it in that post.

There was no way to enhance or improve the existing schemes which is a complete nonsense.

You may have worked on the project, tbh I have no reason not to believe you, but that doesn't make the project beyond question or aspects of it infallible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

First ive heard that claim now, where have you heard the receipts used on all machines are both recyclable and compostable? They look like thermal paper to be which are usually NOT recyclable or compostable due to their BPA content.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement