Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trump attempts at scuttling the Border deal looks like it's going to blow up on him and the GOP

The Border Patrol union have just come out in support of the deal.

They traditionally have been very vocal Trump supporters.

Hard to know how they keep saying that it's a terrible deal blah blah blah when the actual people doing the job want it

Yet again Trump shows they he simply doesn't know how any of this works.

All of this just makes Biden look better and removes the Border as a stick to beat him with.

Shades of his Government shutdowns.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You do see through these incidents, as well as prior ones like the Healthcare reform debacle, a stark demonstration of just how poor a businessman alleged Big Businessman Trump is. No conniving instincts, no deftness of manipulation, just empty braggadocio that thinks shouting and belligerence gets the job done.

I do wonder now that McConnell has put his cards on the table, and decided the Border Bill is bipartisan enough for his blood, if MAGA will go after his own health problems. They're obsessed with "cognitive decline" and McConnell's has been so public I could see the ghouls among MAGA deciding to round on McConnell with that narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭briany

A satisfying retort, I'm sure, but it's obviously not going to make her go, "Damn, I really got owned, there. Guess it's time to start acting like a normal person and not a spiteful trollop."

She'll just feel more legitimised in her spiel because "they're doing it, too", but that would only be after getting called out on playing the victim.

Like picking a scab, taking on people like MTG in this way feels good in the moment, but exacerbates the problem as well. But is there a way to deal with their noise without getting in the mud pit?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It shows how messed up his world view is.

He views everything as a zero sum game - There cannot be a winner if there isn't also a clear and obvious loser so he confronts everything in that incredibly simplistic binary way. When in reality the best way to get the "win" , especially in politics is to let the other guy think they are getting something out of the deal as well , but he is utterly incapable of thinking like that.

The "win" here would have been to add/remove a few small bits from the deal and then claim that the GOP had forced Biden to deal with the border and that only they had made him take it seriously.

Then afterwards they could attack him for not doing it fast enough etc.

By just blocking it and worse by ensuring that everyone knows that they aren't blocking it for any reason other than trying to make Biden look bad, they make themselves look petty and unserious.

They have basically removed one of the few remaining things they could have hoped to use on the campaign trails - Or at least damaged it significantly.

Because if the deal doesn't go through , Biden and the Democrats can now blame/deflect it all on the GOP for not approving the bill.

And if they do decide now to vote for the deal , they just look really weak and disorganised.

A incredibly dumb move politically , but it's not surprising at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,691 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It is looking like the Border deal negotiated in the Senate will die there. Rather than even having the balls to pass it there and force the house Reps to kill it.

GOP senators and indeed the entirety of the GOP that isn't MAGA, have now made crystal to the US electorate that Donnie is their King. That despite failing at every ballot other 2016, despite knowing that he is divisive, dangerous and dim!

That following his whim, is more important than doing what's good for the US, what's good for global security and if nothing else? That once guaranteed GOP vote winner, doing what's bad for Russia! Are all steps too far for the "new" GOP.

I hope at least that the Dems manage to hammer home the failure of the GOP to take the best chance of a border deal in decades! Because I don't see Trump passing anything. Even when he had both houses, he was a legislative failure.

This should be explained with crayons by Biden in the State of the Union speech..

Oh , they're trying to stop him from getting that opportunity..

President Biden would be barred from delivering the State of the Union address to Congress until he sends along a budget request and national security strategy, under legislation introduced Monday by Sen. Joni Ernst

The Send Us Budget Materials & International Tactics In Time (SUBMIT IT) Act would block House and Senate leadership from inviting the president to give the annual address until lawmakers receive those materials.

“Well, actions speak louder than words, folks, and Biden’s budget is late once again,” Ernst (R-Iowa) said in a statement obtained by The Post. “If the President is going to be allowed the opportunity to address Congress and the entire nation, he should actually have a plan in place.”

It'll die in the Senate , but it just shows that they have absolutely nothing to offer here , nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"Send Us Budget Materials & International Tactics In Time (SUBMIT IT) Act"

That one is particularly dumb , but they all do that - Giving their bills these stupid acronyms, it's just stupid.

It's all just further evidence that none of them are actually serious - It's all just a series of "made for TV" moments.

I'll give my bill a silly name and I'll bring bill-boards and giant photos (or snowballs!!!) on to the floor of the House/Senate so that I get a 30s slot on the TV news this evening.

Because that's what matters , not doing the job I was elected to do , no - Getting on TV is what matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just saw the amzing picture where Trump say he looks like Elvis so if and when he loses the election he can get a gig in Vegas as an Elvis impersonator.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

One comment:

At least Elvis did his military service.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sure why not he spent 4 years impersonating a president

'Mad Dog' Mattis, worked as an advisor to the UAE before he returned to public service in the Trump admin in 2017. The Pentagon reportedly fought to conceal this from the public. The Post only recently learned of it. Mattis did not include this on any of his ethics disclosures, there was vigorous effort to keep this knowledge from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Still some semblance of sanity in US politics

Donald Trump is NOT immune from prosecution because of presidential role

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68026175

Still gonna drag this up to SCOTUS, who, being captured, will gladly deliberate over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

More bad news for the ultimate con-man. Hopefully the bad news keeps on rolling. This guy needs to be consigned to the history books ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭Cody montana

And most importantly - It was a unanimous ruling.

That makes it much much harder for the Supreme Court to over-rule.

They have no dissent to use as a leverage to over-turn..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The upcoming Truth Social rant will write itself.

I'd speculate the word "swamp" being used but I Doubt I'd get odds on something that certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I thought I saw somewhere that the Supreme Court is likely to refuse to take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,691 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Let's see what Chuckle Fúck's response to the consequences of his own actions will be this time

The US has been swirling around an inflection point for 8yrs now. It's longest dalliance yet with authoritarianism since the highpoint of Norman Rockefeller and other groups such as American Bund.

In 2020, the centre and the system held. If the GOP had a modicum of testicular fortitude in the Senate? Trump would have been dealt with politically at least, at his 2nd impeachment.

They punted, claimed that the criminal court is where it should be dealt with. Now that the courts are cleared to pursue criminal actions against the Cheeto coloured lard arse? I fully expect the party of law and order to start railing against the courts, their legitimacy and their "politicisation".

As I said way back in 2020, if the USA as a democratic state, and as the great experiment in democracy is to mean anything? It must surely be that no man is above the law! That despite wealth buying many a different class of justice, that justice itself, must prevail!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think if he appeals it to the Supreme Court, he should let Alina Habba take the lead on it. Go on, give her another try! I'm sure she'll do a great job this time, just got unlucky in the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭amandstu

A pity we can't have immunity from his Presidency :-(

I see Haley is asking for Secret Service protection now.

Don't get too close to DJT's rear end and she may survive ,hopefully.

I read there's a stay until the 12th of February?

The case has been adjourned from the March date, but if SCOTUS deny cert, then it leaves the case open to proceed in April. Plenty of time to get a conviction by November....

(corrected)

Post edited by everlast75 on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,435 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There is no actual reason the SC should be looking at it.

Generally they are there to rule on dissenting judgements, to make decisions in places where two parties have interpreted law in different ways. They are not really supposed to be a place to go just because the loser didn't like the verdict.

There is no dissenting verdict in this case, no two points of law to be decided between. Trump said he was immune just because he thinks he should be, he didn't offer any law that gave him the right to declare that. When asked the question a court said that clearly he shouldn't be.

In a functioning state the SC wouldn't touch this with a bargepole.

• Advertisement

The unanimous ruling from DC certainly gives them an easier path to do that now.

There's no ambiguity to be reviewed/challenged so makes it much harder for Team Trump to get an appeal.

They can't appeal just because they don't like the result , they have to find a point of law to argue and now that they don't have a minority dissent to use as leverage that becomes much much harder.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement