Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I listened to that - like most RTE coverage, it was basically three talking heads inc O'Hara all broadly agreeing. No attempt at balance, no attempt to seek out a local community voice from the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Banging the drum of expecting government to do it's job?

How ridiculous of me.

if we want to stop adding more people to the population then we need to stop all immigration. How would that work?

not sure what pay agreements for public servants has to do with my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Should we discourage Irish emigrants from returning home then, if this just loading population on top of creaking public services?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The worm is starting to turn, heard some colleagues in hushed voices having a discussion on this very subject at lunch. I'd better report them to the dept of integration for dissent.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

Wow, is this really so hard to comprehend?

There are no, zero, Irish people abroad putting an undue burden on other economies - claiming that this is the case would be the exact same idiotic racist argument that you hear about non-Irish people immigrating to Ireland, being a burden on the Irish economy, or housing in Ireland.

This is exactly why I made the point.

You and me are in complete agreement that Irish people living in other countries do not steal the jobs and apartments and houses from the natives in other countries.

There is even a racist cliche, that Irish people living in other countries are often criminals. Can we agree that racist prejudices like that are idiotic? Even though it will be easy to find an Irish criminal in the US who committed credit card fraud (like the 'evil Nigerians' mentioned in previous racist posts in this thread), and using him/her as a poster boy/girl for making a racist, nonsensical point?

The only difference between Irish people moving abroad and refugees coming to Ireland is the motivation - fleeing from a war zone (an understandable, justified reason) vs. making money with a good job (also an understandable, justified reason).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

If only we had a department and minister tasked with helping the sector...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Precisely. Govt has broken down in my humble opinion. Departments are not working together at the level they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

The same idiotic racist argument about non Irish being a burden on housing!

Do u live in Ireland by any chance?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Its also their job to protect the countries best interests - why not bang that drum? Why don't you bang the drum of mitigation for a while instead of the drum of exacerbation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I hope this is you joking ...

The alternative.... in government for life ?

• Advertisement

That exactly what I am saying!

Government should be providing services. Housing, better health system etc etc. That's what is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

If the water pipes in your house sprung multiple leaks and you called a plumber, then balked at him shutting off the water while they fixed the problem ("but we NEED water! not ALL the pipes have leaks!"), the plumber would rightly call you an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

They should, but as of now they should also be attempting to reduce the number of illegal migrants into the country instead of brining in more and more. Once the internal problems are all sorted we can then revisit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So we are " full " ..

If you are so frightened by these issues why have you not been frightened before this ?

All the issues you list have been ongoing for years , even when we had more people leaving the country than coming in .

No argument that changes need to be made they have been needed for the last 10 years regardless of who is in government.

What would make you " less frightened " ?

A new government, who may or may not sort the issues you talk about in your post ?

Less immigration but not necessarily dealing with housing, health or homelessness?

Do you think they will automatically be solved by less immigration? Or reduced net immigration ?

How about the fact that 59,000 young adults emigrated in 2022 and more, for example , but we still had all those problems you talk about .

Do you think less immigration alone will bring those young people home to a better country ?

Sure maybe seeing as you think" Ireland is Full " you don't want them back ..

These are all questions that I don't see being addressed by that philosophy .or thise politicians that are purely focused on immigration .

And good luck with any new guys that say they will solve all the issues and can stop immigration , because that isn't happening any time soon .

Our health and economy are inextricably linked to migration and the EU , as our housing is also linked to our economy.

Immigration is small stuff getting a big focus and is the scapegoat for all these other issues.

Keep going with the protests and the intolerance and more and more of our young people will flee these shores along with any working educated migrants..Why would anybody want to stay with all this depressing negativity and fighting with no resolution .

.sure be grand then , loads a room !

(.not a completely serious post just in case anyone thinks it is but just responding to the tone of 'extreme desperation' in the op / s)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Are those figures surprising though? Stats show that non nationals are generally on lower wages than Irish people and Dublin has a very big migrant population. Seeing that many non nationals living in Dublin cant afford a mortgage (and don't already own any property or live in a family home), it stands to reason that many would end up on a waiting list for social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Can people stop arguing about whether we have capacity or not, whether we have GP's or health or education services or anything else.

All of that is besides the point.

The point is these people are frauds. They should not be in the country. They are fleeing nothing but poverty in their home country. They are dumping their passports mid-flight. All that matters is whether they should be here or not. And the answer is 90% + should not.

young people are leaving in droves because there's better options elsewhere, our young doctors nurses, and tradespeople are leaving en masse to the Continent, Australia, Canada, US & the Middle East, and in return we receive a small amount of healthcare workers who end up as agency staff who are basically useless, they are there just to make up the numbers to the health minister can say we have X amount of staff and shur isn't immigration great because they're holding up the healthcare system. The Rest are either low income workers that drive down wages and drive up rents, or economic migrants who go straight on to social welfare.

'Illegal migrants' pretty sure you don't mean illegal migrants.

If there's an issue with population control, then all immigration should be stopped, how would that work

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

So how is adding an unlimited number of migrants/asylum seekers etc. into this "should be" set-up going to help anyone?

If you can't provide for 2 children, its not a good idea to conceive another 2, let alone an unlimited number of them, is it?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Why do you think 90% should not?

What evidence do you have, do you know individual cases? Why do you feel that you know better then the people whose job is to decide.

• Advertisement

I already said, if population control is the goal, then surely all immigration should be stopped. Don't know how that could work

No, Health, Education, Housing etc. are the crux of the matter, if hospital waiting times were way down, if it wasn't nearly impossible to get a timely GP appointment, if rents were reasonable, if the majority of young people weren't priced out of the housing market, if the ratio of Teacher to student wasn't alarming, I'd be 100% more open to helping those from other nations who were struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Give over with, far right this and far right that, it's not washing anymore with the general public

It will have to work. This is a small island with limited resources. It has to have to have a limit, what are we to do instead? pile 100's of millions on top of each other until it reaches peak total disaster? This is a small island on the western edge of the Atlantic ocean. There has to be a limit, so what is your preferred limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

We have a legal work visa system to assist people who are struggling and match the skills we need. The asylum system must be based purely on fleeing war and persecution, which there is very little evidence these people are doing. After all many are from safe countries!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What's an undue burden though. I wouldn't view all the Irish people in the UK claiming social welfare or living in social housing as an undue burden.

There is mythical idea around here that all Irish people who emigrated immediately all got jobs and that they never lived in poverty abroad or never benefited from other welfare states.

Irish people moving abroad were often treated like crap.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Check the wording of the Indo poll question - anti immigrant not anti-immigration. Anyone who describes themselves as anti-immigrant (they don't like the actual people) is surely far right.

I'm still wondering if this was the actual question asked in the poll or if they reported it incorrectly.

Yes. This is a small island. This is not the United States of America circa 1846. We have limited resources, we have limited space. There has to be a limit. Are you saying there literally should be no limit? How is that going to work? Should we ship 5,000 people out onto the Aran Islands tomorrow to live there forever and ever in the ludicrous hope that is also going to magically work out too?

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement