Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like to see the perpetrators of the recent arson attacks brought to justice?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

@Overheal Totally get what you're saying.

But this problem is down to decades of bad planning. There are a great many people who've had enough and are prepared to start setting things on fire to make their point.

What's worse though is that there are even more people who probably wouldn't have set fire to something themselves but are happy enough that someone else did it.

I think each position is fueling the other as we end up with a firestorm... and the whole lot of it is down to planning and to a lesser degree fairness (People who live in D4 aren't setting anything alight cause they don't have direct provision centres beside where they live).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The "my way of the highway approach" started from the top, when the state kept pushing on even knowing that people weren't happy.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

For the British yes until the usually obedient population turned on them

Let's not forget until the executions ireland was indifferent as a whole

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

I highlight it constantly as posters like yourself will ask for proof , figures, sources for any counter argument to yours

yet, when it suits your agenda , you can throw around unfounded claims.

i have never once said that these were not arson , not once.

if you find my posts tiresome , you have very little self awareness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Yes. Did you not realise. The poll that asked 1,000 people if we have taken in too many refugees was actually a legally binding referendum and now the government must act on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Why should spongers who don't speak the language, will not agree to pay one cent into the Irish system and DEMAND housing and food for nothing whatsoever in return.

Supporting these insidious infiltrators into Ireland needs to be deemed illegal, they need sending back.

After much careful research, I have found where they end up on arrival to our country.

Ireland for the Irish, say no to citizenship EVER!

The country is full!

Out of work, undocumented scroungers assembly point.

Come and protest!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No matter how you feel , and not denigrating yours or anyone else's opinions on immigration , this is just wrong dangerous, shxxty and cowardly, and deserves nothing less than a prison term .

Justifying criminal intent and actions is a very slippery slope . It desensitises ordinary law abiding people who would never want to lift a finger to hurt someone , but are drawn in by the narrative of " We have to do something , Nobody is listening "!

What if these people get pissed off with other groups and start burning them out ? Burning property, attacking people, verbally then physically , burning books etc there are numerous historical shameful precedents to this outside of Naziism , and none end well for ordinary people nor does history remember these Axxholes fondly .

This burning/ arson is a strange style of protest , is not democratic or the right way to go about change , no matter how it is spun .

@slay55 Your posts on this subject are repetitive , so you are the one with no self awareness I would say .

You have posted the same or similar post on each of the other threads, EVERY TIME , there is an arson saying that there is no proof , could be any of a list of fairly innocuous reasons . Why do this if not disingenuously trying to deflect from what is faurly obvious criminal intent and damage by certain people ?

And to say it is unfounded is not true there have been numerous reports that investigations point to arson

It would be easy to quote all your posts as described on the other threads but again you are only trying to draw me into a fruitless bicker fest which I won't be drawn into . Not to mention it us against forum rules .

• Advertisement

i will keep posting until you understand

nobody is disputing that it is arson . I keep having to tell you this but you don’t seem to grasp this for whatever reason

when you and your cohorts stop blaming it on the “far right” without any substance , I’ll stop having to correct you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Clearly it was the far right toads that were there and I have a feeling it won't be long before we see a few lifted despite the large percentage of this forum who don't want to see them lifted... (I wonder why)

Yes You don't deny arson but you do deny the cause ..which is denial on your part .

If you want to continue on bickering by all means do so .

I will not agree with you on this so won't be replying here further .

As I said it is tiresome and repetitive and an attempt to derail others by posting nonsense about insurance claims and bad electrics....on here and every thread on immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

Yes, they should be prosecuted, because arson is a dangerous crime.

That's the first such centre in D4. Will have to see how it plays out.

I think the residents around the Herbert Pk area have more peaceful tools at their disposal - i.e. good lawyers and lots of litigation, political influence etc. Just look at the last attempt to do this in D4. The objections stalled the project for years. In the end this high-value site was swapped for developers other sites for social housing.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/residents-fight-centre-for-asylum-seekers/26096592.html

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/social-housing-swap-for-idle-9m-building/25967427.html

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Alternatively, the organizers of the 1916 rising knew they didn't have the manpower or the weapons, worse their communication with the rest of the country was zero. In war, the currency is lives, you spend as prudently as you can, you do not squander. The morons in charge of 16 rising squandered lives, both of the people who believed in them and of innocent civilians, a true testament to the "feck it shur it'll be grand" attitude that infects our nation's psyche.

Yes it is.

Google can be your friend sometimes.

I'll eat my hat if that actually goes ahead, that'll quietly get brushed under the carpet.

Funny you should mention google, as it's almost impossible to find the Gardai's heavy handed treatment of locals in Roscrea when they tried to protest immigrants being bussed in on that heavily curated search engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Well the person arguing that the far right have nothing to do with the fires and spends their time on here complaining about immigrants is British or identifies as such, so should their opinion be ignored also?

..... only if they claimed it was their country.....? Would you not read posts properly first before jumping in for gotchas?

• Advertisement

People who emigrate and make their lives in a country and raise their family there do call it their country. You probably have relatives who have done the same as have I and others on here.

So should we ignore the opinion of posters who don't identify as being part of this country but spend their time completing about other immigrants being here?

I have friends and relatives living in Aus and the US, they can't vote, they can't hold office, it's not their country.

If they become full citizens they can, then it is their country, but the road for an Irish person to become a US or Australian, or any other countries citizen involves them contributing to that country, none of them are becoming citizens there because there's handouts to be had, that is the difference.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Hodger

Im surprised someone actually called a poll about the spring of arson things .

Anyone who has read my past posts will know I am against the concept of any hate speech laws.

I have no problem if those responsible for the arson attacks are caught and charged with hate crime as such actions should have real life consequences.

Back in 2015 when water charges was an ongoing issue the very day when the water meter Installers came to my estate some people blocked the Installation of water meters at their properties as did I no arrests were made as those who blocked the Installation of water meters were doing so peacefully.

Similar happened in different estates throughout the country back then what stands out with then vs now is I can,t recall any arson attacks on any Irish water vans or anything such as that.

I always find it amusing that racist immigrants can be welcomed with open arms but anti racist ones cant

Terry Pratchet

Your standard response ...

Have seen you try this with other posters going on and on with no end in sight.

Now you throw your toys out of the pram because I won't play .

Goodnight 😁

Not at all, you said that you wasn’t going to bother replying - you did.

after other posters? Oh yes, the other one that posts unsubstantiated claims too - I only ask them to back up what they claim. They can’t either.

goodnight :)

Still doesn't answer my question.

As for citizenship being a marker for somewhere being your country, is someone who has dual American and Irish citizenship but has never spent a day in Ireland entitled to say Ireland is their country?

I found it straight away. What sick anti social criminals. The guards should arrest them. I can be fined for lighting fires and burning rubbish, so how come the rubbish isn't removed and dumped someplace more suitable?

If Google is not treating it with the usual plethora of hits, perhaps they are just trying to do a service for the country by not advertising the stupidity of a group that don't represent me or my country in any way.

I stayed in the Racket Hall, it was fine. I hope the migrants have a pleasant stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

absolutely we need to round them up and lock them up.

we need to come down like a tonne of bricks on these riff raff, time to face them down once and for all, enough is enough.

ireland is taking in and will continue to take in migrants/refugees/assylum seekers, they will be accommodated in direct provision centres and they will be in communities and will be refurbished disused buildings or buildings which contained businesses no longer financially viable.

no amount of violence and criminality is going to stop it and rightly so, we must never ever give into those screaching about da fardeners.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement