Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That just goes to show the kind of army they are, worse than the Nazis and the Black & Tans. Utterly disgusting. There must have been no children or nuns around for them to snipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Seems to have angered you more than the children being murdered. Are you an animal lover?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,592 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It has been mentioned on here for months. There were just under 700 civilians killed on Oct 7th. Hamas obviously killed a load of them. Some were killed by IDF and other Israelis as a result of the confusion and chaos and panic, and other bodies were retrieved from vehicles which were struck, while being taken back to Gaza as hostages, under the Hannibal directive

Why am I not surprise that you'd display more empathy for 3 sheep killed than tens of thousands of Palestinians?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Yes - a distinct change of tone today - the UNWRA announcement was a dead giveaway and complete about turn.

I think they think if they do nothing, ICJ will give them a hard time. So they need to save face.

With all the video coming out - even without journalists and with attempts to silence Comms infrastructure - the evidence appears incontrovertible. But if they make sure no more cans of worms are opened in the next few weeks, maybe their monthly report won't be as bad a wreck as it appears it will be.

I'd imagine the Israeli ad hoc judge is mortified.

No reported news from the ICC - that will be next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

That is your opinion.

Sadly option does not replace hard cold facts of the matter.

The UN partitioned British Palestine between Arabs and Jews, under Resolution 181(II)

The moment the British Mandate ended and Israel was declared a state, a slew of Arab states with a long history of anti-Semitism invaded Israel.

These are the facts of the matter.

No, they were each phases of the same war. 

Which war was this?

You are being deliberately obtuse imo.

There was a civil war between Arabs and Jews in British Palestine, for sure, but the wider conflict between Israel and Arab states was a separate thing.

It's like saying WWII didn't start when Germany invaded Poland, September 1939, but started when the Germans took over the Sudetenland in October 1938

But to say, Arabs started to war, is so childishly stupid,

Because it's true as documented in history by many historians.

From Britannica.

https://www.britannica.com/event/Arab-Israeli-wars

On the eve of the British forces’ May 15, 1948, withdrawal, Israel declared independence. The fighting intensified immediately: Egypt launched an aerial assault on Tel Aviv and, the next day, Arab forces from Egypt, Transjordan (Jordan), IraqSyria, and Lebanon occupied the areas in southern and eastern Palestine not apportioned to the Jews by the UN partition of Palestine and then captured East Jerusalem, including the small Jewish quarter of the Old City

The US State Dept. Office of the Historian.

https://history.state.gov/milestones/1945-1952/arab-israeli-war

The Arab-Israeli War of 1948 broke out when five Arab nations invaded territory in the former Palestinian mandate immediately following the announcement of the independence of the state of Israel on May 14, 1948.

Even Pro-Palestine AJ conceeds this point.

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2017/5/23/the-nakba-did-not-start-or-end-in-1948

As units of the Egyptian, Lebanese, Syrian, Jordanian and Iraqi armies invaded on May 15, the Arab-Israeli war was launched and stretched until March 1949.

Cambridge University Press. Avi Shlaim

https://users.ox.ac.uk/~ssfc0005/Israel%20and%20the%20Arab%20Coalition%20in%2019481.html

The five Arab states who joined in the invasion of Palestine were Egypt, Transjordan, Syria, Lebanon and Iraq; while the two contingents came from Saudi Arabia and Yemen. 

I do agree it's complex, but some things are just true.

The Arab states invaded Israel in 1948 because they would never accept a Jewish state on their border. That is an inalienable truth.

Jackson Hinkle?

Do you even know who that muppet is?

A far-right influencer and conspiracy theorist with very dodgy Russian Connections

He is also banned from multiple platforms because of his history of disinformation and misinformation.

Why one would want to use him as a source?

Well it's all falling apart now but none of the major news networks seems to be reporting on it

Maybe because it takes one truth, that there may have been some friendly fire and runs into the burning inferno of a conspiracy theory.\

Any dickhead with a camera and microphone is now a 'journalist' and they usually push their own agenda to people who want to believe some conspiracy theory or some such.

It seems most of the Oct 7th carnage was caused by Israel.

Grade A nonsense in fairness.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, said Carl Sagan once.

I guess the Israeli hostages were a false flag too.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

No.

But threat would remain and hostages would still be kidnapped. Therein lies the difficulty for Israel.

Hamas on the other hand could put their citizens first for once.

Again, where is the pressure on Hamas?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Go seek out as Stanford journal of international law, people who know better than you or I, and have dived fully into the complexities of it all.

"Although the passage of the resolution was procedurally valid, 

its terms were substantively illegal under the U.N Charter for being in violation of 

the prevailing law and practice on self-determination of peoples in class A mandated 

territories."

It's from 2021. Not an historian mind, a professor of law.

The AHC boycotted the UNSCOP talks, only occasionally engaging and when there was some willingness due to the efforts of Cuba and Yugoslavia to get them in to talk were rebuked.

The UN also refused to listen to Britain, who said they wouldn't agree to anything that wouldnt have full support by both Jewish and Palestinian side. The UN basically told them to go **** themselves, we're doing what we want.

So yes, I'd say international law was very heavily ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There is also talk of the IDF closing in on Sinwar. So no wonder he wants a ceasefire if that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Releasing the hostages is a priority, whether that is by the IDF extracting them or Israel/Hamas agreeing terms.

Pressuring Hamas by razing Gaza clearly hasn't, nor will, work. Israel cannot simply carry on killing more and more civilians until there is just nothing left though a la Ben Gvir et al.

Terms appear to be the only sure method. It sounds like Israel is studying the Hamas response so it should be clear soon.

If they reject the terms, God knows what's next.

The only pressure it seems can be put on Hamas is to wipe them out. But that simply cannot be at the expense of civilians.They've paid too high a price already.

And yes, that is a difficulty for Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Oh look, here he is again attackingbthe source instead of the content, yet I see you have managed to "miss" (deliberately ignore) other pics/vids I have posted showing israeli scumbaggery particularly the one of the israeli soldier standing over a handcuffed man who has clearly been tortured.

Well now isn't that just the kettle calling the pot black :rolleyes:

We need more if this

SAUDI ARABIA WILL NOT ESTABLISH RELATIONS WITH ISRAEL WITHOUT A PALESTINIAN STATE

Going back to influence on and of the media, has anyone else noticed constant short clips from Schindler's List on their youtube suggestions? It was like that the last few months and now has moved to The Pianist (a film I've never seen).

Even fake news CNN re-published a 2017 documentary yesterday about Islamic terrorism in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

I think of Qatar as straddling both sides of the fence. They do after all have the largest US military base in the entire region on their soil (willingly so and for more than a quarter of a century i.e. before 9/11 remade the map). And then, as you rightly call out, they funnel money to Hamas and allow their leadership to base themselves, in quite luxurious fashion, in Doha. They also enjoy all the usual nice things the West has to offer, including horse racing (where we in Ireland benefit massively from their largesse). So yeah, like Saudi Arabia, they are facing in two directions at once - the Janus of the Middle East if you like.

The West fully understands and tolerates this stance.

Iran however is not straddling any fence. It means what it says when it screams 'death to Israel, death to America'. Its entire polity is a strange mixture of Islamo-facism and nihilism - it stands for confrontation, death, misery. All in the name of some crazy interpretation of Islam. It actively seeks to stoke and promote violence in the name of Islam, or just plain old violence in the case of its Russian alliance.

So no, I don't see Qatar and Iran as being remotely the same.

• Advertisement

The reality is he is going to be killed, one way or another. Whether it's in a tunnel now with a suicide vest strapped on or via a drone strike to a building he's in, or something more close up and personal, Israel is going to see him dead. And anyone else connected with the planning and execution of the 07-Oct pogrom.

Israel's doctrine in this regard has been clear for decades now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

Go south to Rafah they say. It's safe there, they say.

Where are these people supposed to go? 1.9 million people in this area.

That's nearly 30,000 people per square km. Someone explain to me how the IDF can effectively hit targets without civlian casulaties. How the **** is this using the population as human shields? Someone explain that to me. The IDF forced the people south and is now indiscriminately bombing them. I honestly believe Hamas could release all the prisoners but the IDF would continue it's campaign regardless. They have shown nothing, not one iota of desire to stop.

Much as we asked the question 'what does Iran want?', we should also ask the question 'what does Russia want?'. Bearing in mind that Russia has far more strategic reach than Iran.

Russia is at war with 'the West'. This war takes many forms - from outright invasion in Ukraine, to asymmetric warfare such as trying to rig elections and referenda, through to aiding other regimes that are opposed to Western interests. You can see this most starkly in everything they perpetrated in Syria, where they murdered tens of thousands of Sunni Arab civilians in order to help their ally Assad stay in power. Including quite a lot of Palestinian refugees.

So make no mistake, Russia is absolutely delighted with the current turn of events in the Middle East. It distracts from what they are doing in Ukraine and indeed has been enormously successful - witness the craziness on Capitol Hill yesterday where the Republicans rejected a border bill that gave them everything they wanted, just so that they wouldn't have to approve more aid to Ukraine. All at the behest of one Donald J Trump who might as well have 'SVR Asset bought and sold' tattooed on his orange forehead.

Russia and Iran are our enemies. They are anathema to everything we stand for and we should be entirely vigilant in recognising both their means and their objectives. Hamas is just one of the means.

The force asymmetry is clearly enormous. Why doesn't Hamas just unconditionally surrender?

They are the same to the extent that they support terrorism.

The difference is one is amenable to western interests and does not seek to oppose the west so they get a pass. If it was really about principle Qatar would be condemned and threatened with sanctions for their support of Hamas.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

The protester stood up and said "I'm Jewish, I support Palestinian human rights" calmly and repeatedly until he was angrily ejected from the room.

Can you please explain how this is anti-Semitic?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1754616548650528865

Yes that is their doctrine and they are very effective at it. The Hamas Leadership will want immunity as part of any long term deal, but I can't see Israel agreeing to it. Erdoğan has warned Israel not to target any Hamas figures in Istanbul. I don't see them heeding that warning . Operation grapes of Wrath went on for years. This one will too

Its not in Bibi's interest for the war to stop as it could lead to his far right friends collapsing the current Government, that is why if he has his way any truce will be temporary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

"But opposition to Israel typically comes from either Islamists or the Western Left, many of those Leftists who are supposedly with Ukraine."

Opposition to Israel also comes from people with no particular political affiliation, who are not happy to stand by and watch the murder, starvation and collective punishment of innocent civilians and the mass destruction of their living space.

The same is true for the opposition of Russia / support of Ukraine.

Advertisement