Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timber floor refresh

• 07-02-2024 8:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

I am looking to get timber flooring which has lot of marks, refreshed! You think it can be DIY or you need a hire

Pics attached

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You just missed a floor sander who was shilling his business all over the forum yesterday!

Years and years ago my father and brothers did our hallway in an old house with a (presumably) hired sander machine. It was a LOT of hard work, a LOT of dust, and there were a few bits gouged out of the boards where the sander got the upper hand.

Twice when I've bought a house I got a fella in to sand and polish the boards, and it was a great job and from experience totally worth the expense. Last time was nearly 20 years ago, so I'm no good to you with a recommendation or a price - but in my experience, pay to get it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Hire a sander for about 50 euro a day, you'll have it done in a couple of hours. It's as easy as cutting the grass with a petrol lawnmower if that's something you can do.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

thanks and what about polish and paint after sanding ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

thanks do you have the info of that guy from yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I'm no expert but I'd getting the scuffs, etc. don't look too bad and should be pretty easy to sand out based on that photo.

Any idea what type of wood it is? To me (and again, I'm no expert), the wood looks like it's heavily stained so I'd say you could end up with the sanded floor being a lighter colour than what you currently have and possibly patches where the older, darker colour remains e.g. where the boards meet looks like a low point which won't be sanded unless you go quite heavy with the sander which will obviously be a lot more work. If that does happen, you could 1) sand it down heavy to remove all the old varnish; 2) revarnish in a similar dark colour or 3) depending on how it looks, leave the "two-tone" and apply a lighter clear varnish.

If you go DIY, I'd say start in a small corner of one room and see how it goes for you first

• Advertisement
Advertisement