Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,796 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Republicans caught in their own lies

Tried to say they weren't politically predisposed to impeach Mayorkas, before any investigation, but the audio tape to donors determined that was a lie.

Representative Mark E. Green told an enthusiastic crowd in his home state of Tennessee last week that his committee would expose Mr. Mayorkas’s “dereliction of duty and his intentional destruction of our country through the open southern border.” He said the panel would deliver charges to the House Judiciary Committee, which handles impeachment proceedings, according to an audio recording of a House Freedom Caucus fund-raiser obtained by The New York Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Dingaan

Biden tells crowd he recently met with Mitterrand, former French president who died in 1996.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,709 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,709 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Seems Biden is slowing down a bit.

Thanks goodness he's not a multiply indicted, rapist conman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mikefromcork

Weighing up his election opponent is surely up for discussion. I fancy his chances against a rapist. His slight gaffe versus a rapist confusing the woman he raped with his own ex wife also seems to make him look better than his rapist opponent, no?

Three-quarters of voters, including half of Democrats, say they have concerns about President Joe Biden’s mental and physical health, according to the latest national NBC News poll.

Consequently, these recurrent episodes of confusion are significant topics for discussion.

You're not discussing anything. You're just dumping nonsense. Biden's gaffe-prone, sure but he isn't a literal rapist and fascist.

May I suggest that your fanboy approach to politics is rather unproductive. You are free to criticise both candidates. You don't have to choose a side and defend it at all costs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

OK..

One is an older gentleman with a very long and very well documented history of verbal stumbles and gaffes but who is largely respected for being a decent person. So not perfect , but who is.

The other is a court adjudicated rapist and fraud who is currently barred from holding any executive role in Companies or charities for multiple violations of the law and who is generally considered a scum-bag of the highest order.

Who to prefer as President...decisions decisions.... Damn it's a tough choice......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The best that a pro-Trumper/anti-Biden can hope for is for people to accept that *both* candidates are too old and therefore will stay at home.

This is why they bang on about Biden making mistakes.

It's a weak sauce voter suppression technique.

They know that the Trump supporters will never be put off voting for their guy, despite the gulf of difference in quality between Biden being a competent and decent guy and Trump being a lying, racist, rapist fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sure, show us the posts on the forum where you took advantage of your freedom to criticise both candidates by actually doing so, where you unprompted posted similar about Trump or whoever.

Because without that, it looks very obvious that you've chosen a side and are defending it at all costs by attacking the other side. That would be a "fanboy approach" (your phrasing) wouldn't it?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'm looking for your posts on the trump thread concerning his gaffs and apparent degradation, yet I'm yet to see then therefore I don't think you really care about them do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The first thing that always pops into my head when one of the usual suspects come on here with their latest Biden gaff zinger, is let he who is without sin cast the first stone...

As if none of them have ever fucked up a sentence in their lives. 😄

The gas thing is, Joe Biden has had a well publicised stammer all of his life, which takes great effort to control. And, frankly, the fact that every sentence of his isn't a litany of stutters and mistakes is a minor miracle.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Like you say - Everybody makes them and if you speak in public every day for decades there'll be countless recordings of you flubbing a word or a sentence and that's before you layer an actual speech impediment on top of all that.

Just yesterday we had Trump talking about "Supply Change" when he obviously meant "Supply Chains"

Verbal stumble , we all know what he meant , but of course he had to pretend like it was a special new thing that people just hadn't heard of rather than correct himself.

“Look at even things like supply change,” Trump said, likely meaning “supply chains,” which he claimed was a little-known phrase.

“Things we never even heard about, you never heard that term,” Trump said. “Everything worked under me. It all worked.”

He then went on to lie his ass off about how the "Supply change" were all prefect under his leadership , forgetting of course all the shortages and supply chain issues throughout Covid under his tenure but that's beside the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I've lost count of how many flubs I've made in work calls and that's just this week so far. If I had to stand up in public an make speeches as often as a President does, I think the majority of them would be an incoherent mess. 😵

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Gentlemanne

I do think Biden is getting too old, way too old. 81 year olds should not be managing a hot dog cart, nevermind the United States.

That being said I listened to his appearance on Conan O'Brien's podcast Conan Needs a Friend and he was very articulate, smart, and even funny.

The attempts by rightwingers to make his latest slip-up some major scandal is so pathetic though - especially as pointed out they're all fans or apologists for trump (who's own brain is made of Papier-mâché).

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Biden's stumbles are interesting in the sense that at least they demonstrate a deeper underlying knowledge or level of intellectual curiosity. Mitterand/Macron and Black and Tans/All Blacks being examples - you'd have to have a baseline knowledge of French politics or Irish history to be making such gaffes in the first place. It's a far cry from much of the incoherent rambling from Trump, which is little more than gibberish at times.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

Biden mistakenly referred to Macron as "Mitterand". As is stated in this article, he has previously referred to Putin's "war in Iraq". If that's not evidence of cognitive decline then what is?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It's grand though because he's using the names of actual people who've been dead for years rather than just spouting gibberish. That makes it actually a good thing. He said the name of a French leader, didn't he, what's the problem? Even though he called mitterand German originally, France is beside Germany so his geographical knowledge is still second to none also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Dont see you posts in the trump thread about his gaffs, fan boy eh?

Biden has a stutter. Plus people of all ages often mixup names their memory has compartmentalized into the same category eg French presidents starting with the letter M, female relatives whose first name starts with M, male relatives whose first names start with J.

Have you never mixed up someone's name before?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

US politics are a circus for quite some time. Biden is only running because nobody else has even slight chance against Trump, who is better suited to run some TV show than a country that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Biden is running because he's the incumbent, they (almost) always run and he has been a very competent POTUS. LBJ was the last incumbent to not run, he'd been POTUS for a term-and-a-half and the country hated him due to Vietnam.

An inanimate carbon rod could beat TFG in this upcoming election. 91 indictments, not immune from prosecution, hundreds of millions in lawsuit verdicts owed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

What made you think he has been very competent POTUS? USA is far from what it has been before, in fact they are being slowly turned to laughing stock for most of the world.

• Advertisement

When is this 'before' time when there were no jokes about US Presidents or US society?

Were you living under a rock 2016-2020? Was the US a laughing stock then by your metric?

Trying to pin that on Biden is not a 'fact', you seem confused about what a fact is, if that's your take on things.

I can remember jokes about US Presidents as long as I've been alive, they all had their cariacatures, some of them quite funny, the funniest often being Americans themselves eg Saturday Night Live, followed by say Spitting Image. Reagan, Bush Snr, Clinton, Bush Jnr. The difference being Trump is a cariacature, as are his MAGA supporters, if that's the laughing stock you have in mind.

With Biden at least there is a grown up in The White House (i.e. a sense of adult responsibility).

Advertisement