Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's just schlocky shock tactics to get views. The ad revenue they get will more than cover whatever they destroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Time for a glorious return by Sega!

Dreamcast 2.0!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

I think there's more to the debate than fan boys throwing a hissy fit.

Gamers aren't coming to xbox so they're bringing the games to the gamers on other platforms. I'm not going to burn my xbox, but its clearly not good news.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I know you mean the console but I am looking forward to the revamp of Sega games. I like the new art/animation style we've seen so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yep Videogame fanboys are something else caring that much, as said on this thread platform exclusives are not beneficial to anybody other that the board members of these companies, it wont stifle creativity, it wont mean great games wont be made. If the technology exists creative people will get the most out of them

its no different in any other artform tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I saw some outraged comments from a certain subsection of social media users complaining about the damage these developments will do to the ‘Xbox community’.

I think your ‘community’ is built on fundamentally shaky ground if it’s based solely on the purchase of a consumer electronic box from the wealthiest company on Earth.

I get that for some people 500 quid on a console is a significant financial commitment and they may be perhaps reasonably frustrated by the apparent shift. I have no problem with people being sensibly annoyed by the move. But for grown adults who aren’t in that position and are moaning about ‘betrayal’, such deep emotional allegiance to a consumer product is baffling beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness to some of the bigger influencer-types, their whole shtick is tied to bigging up Xbox and putting down PlayStation, and that's where they get their engagement and views. If Xbox are bringing their games to PS and given that Spencer has already said they lost the console war, the shtick of the Xbox influencers has essentially been rendered meaningless. Well, more meaningless. A meaningless version of something that was meaningless to begin with. Meaningless Squared. Meaningless 360?

Feigning extreme outrage is like a dying grasp for relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Tamagotchi gets back in fashion.

Gonna party like it's 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

So they are being upset that someone else is also getting the games that they got?. Someone pls make that make sense.

• Advertisement

That's not what it is. I don't have any outraged influencers in my feeds so I can't comment on that, I'm sure it's out there no doubt but to say that is what the debate is all about is misleading.

The concern is that it things are so bad that they can't even sell their own games on their own platform and have to take their games to other platforms. Gamers won't come to xbox, so they'll take the games to them on PS and Nintendo. Things do not bode well. That is it, nothing more.

We can speculate it is the beginning of the end but its all speculation. One thing is for sure, sales are not good and things are not well and it is not a good thing despite people trying to say it doesn't mean anything. Who cares if PS players get to play Xbox games? That's not the point, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭McFly85

Microsoft have too many studios to disappear from the gaming landscape any time soon, I would still imagine they’ll produce hardware for the next generation too. But they’ve realised that growing hardware market share it’s an almost impossible task.

Putting their games on PlayStation could be a precursor to them looking to get GamePass there too. While I imagine Sony would be resistant, the regulators could force Sony to allow it in a similar fashion to Apple. It would be very difficult for Sony to argue against it considering the gulf in market share, the fact that they’re selling the games on the platform anyway and that they already allow other publishers subscription services to be used on their system.

Considering there’s practically no chance of them growing the consoles market share enough to make it worthwhile, it could end up being a great move for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Out of curiosity, what was the last truly essential Xbox exclusive? Actually, come to think of it, what was the last truly essential PS exclusive? God of War, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Xbox... Forza? But they're releasing all their games on pc now so console exclusives only don't exist for Xbox anymore? Not sure tbh.

PS, plenty. If you can wait 2 years for a PC release, grand, but I couldn't wait 2 years to play God of War for example. But, aside from both GoW games, the Spiderman games, Ghost of Tsushima, Ratchet and Clank, Astro, Returnal, Uncharted... while a lot of them do come to PC 2 years later, I'd consider them all console sellers because a lot of people won't wait 2 years, because gamers are dicks and will have everything spoiled. And consider PS churn out fantastic story driven games, getting them spoiled is a driver for some people to get a PS and play it on release. I do wish we got more of these games, but dev time is a lot longer these days. I don't mind waiting because the quality speaks for itself on release usually.

Whether you like those types of games or not is a personal preference, but I do, so it's a no brainer for me to have a PS5. And apparantly plenty others think the same. Probably why PS have straight up said Day 1 PS+ releases for their own games is not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

A more pertinent question might be 'what is the next big "console exclusive" for each system?' I'm genuinely struggling to think of any so-called system sellers coming to either platform for the rest of this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I remember when GTA use to be PlayStation exclusive !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Two off the top of my head for ps5 would FF7 rebirth at the end of this month and rise of the ronin in March, hell blade 2 in May for xbox along with Avowed sometime this year but I guess they'll be coming to ps5 now anyway if reports are true.

Are any of them really system sellers though? Rebirth will be big enough, but it releases day and date on PC anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Pretty sure Rebirth is PS5 exclusive until June next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's also not just a case of what's coming soon, but what is expected in the future. Sony Santa Monica working on a solo Kratos GoW sequel set in Midgard, a spin off feating Atreus (possibly Miles Morales style spin off) and a unrelated untitled 3rd game. Insomnic working on Wolverine and no doubt more Spiderman, along with more Ratchet and Clank at some point. Sucker Punch no doubt working on Ghost of Tsushima 2, and have the excellent Infamous and Sly series they can "easily" update and re-release for easy money. Naughty Dog will surely get 3 more re-releases out of the 3 games they've made in the last 10 years...

Sony/PS have not just created excellent exclusives (and console sellers imo), they've also fostered a future to look forward to, because these studios have proven they release quality. I can't say the same for MS, Forza is getting middling reviews, Starfield isn't the big hoo-ha they said it would be. And now their exclusives are coming to PS, they're really not paiting a picture to make you want to buy into their hardware at least.

So while I could see MS going the route of services only, ie: Gamepass on anything, it would have to be a limited version if it was ever to come to PS. The current ones they support, Ubi, EA, etc are specific to their own games, while Gamepass is a library of everyones so not the same. As was said above, you'll never get Netflix having to allow Prime releases, and vice versa.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think they will be, Rebirth will definitely sell consoles and I have a feeling rise of the ronin will surprise us all and be a hit.

Unicorn Overlord is coming to PS4/5 this month. No vanillaware game has come to PC and they are a very small team so that could be the first and only true PlayStation exclusive for a long while since Astrobot.

Don't know if you were directly responding to me or not (if not, just ignore this lol), but I was specifically talking about this year being dry for big exclusives. There'll always be big games further down the road to be fair, especially sequels and reboots, and whether you're excited by that prospect or not is pretty subjective.

RotR could be a hit for sure (and I really hope it's good enough to warrant big sales). But is it going to change anyone's mind on buying a PS5? Not many minds I'd imagine, unless it reviews incredibly well. IMO, obvs. Of course it follows that this is all moot anyway - there's no way of determining these kind of numbers objectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Why is that a concern or is that a bad thing for anyone other than Microsoft? Bringing their games to more gamers is good for the consumer surely. And it’s not like Microsoft are struggling for cash, they’re more than getting by.

Competition is good. If Microsoft were to completely dump Xbox (which is probably not happening) that means Sony could get complacent with the next console sure. But it’s not like Nintendo don’t exist and within a year they should have a new console on the market, while you have hardware like the Steam Deck growing in market share too. And if Sony really slipped up that would give an opening for someone else to come in.

And given it’s the games that truly matter (and hardware is “good enough” these days), you could apply the above argument and say maybe Bethesda and Arkane would have put out better games last year if they had to compete with Naughty Dog and Insomniac.

And ultimately that’s where the “competition is good” argument falls down for me as Microsoft are a uniquely anti-competition company in every sector they enter. When it comes to gaming that has involved buying out vast chunks of the industry and forcing creators to stop making their games for other platforms which just reduces competition. A reversal in that tactic can only be a good thing for consumers in my eyes. And given the side effects of these huge corporate consolidations is usually the leaching of vast amounts of cash to people like Kotick while thousands of workers on the ground get laid off, it’s probably good for the industry too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Disney to take $1.5 billion stake in Epic Games, work with Fortnite maker on new content

Disney is investing $1.5 billion for a stake in Epic Games, CEO Bob Iger said Wednesday, in its biggest bet yet on the gaming space.

The media giant will work with the Fortnite studio to create new games and an entertainment universe where consumers can "play, watch, shop and engage with content, characters and stories from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, Avatar and more," Disney said in a press release.

"Our exciting new relationship with Epic Games will bring together Disney's beloved brands and franchises with the hugely popular Fortnite in a transformational new games and entertainment universe," said Iger in a statement.

At its simplest, Microsoft cannot sell enough games on its own platforms and they must publish their games on rival platforms in order to make their games profitable.

I get that it is a trillion dollar company and surely they have enough profit. Its not a factor in the debate really. If games aren't profitable, they'll stop making the games. We've seen many examples of that over the past year.

Sony's only competitor (Nintendo is not a competitor, but that's for another debate) unable to compete is in no way good for gamers.

That's the argument at its.mosy basic level without going into any speculation, with the exception that games coming to PS is still technically speculation. But it is safe to say its happening and if it is happening it is bad for gamers, most of all PS gamers ironically. Because Sony are ruthless bustards that will rip off their consumers to the hilt at every given opportunity. And there is no bigger opportunity than this.

Do not read this with any tone of fan boy outrage because I am neither a fan boy or outraged. I'm mainly a PC gamer actually and lately my Xbox is mainly a moonlight streaming client. But I value Microsofts contribution to gaming, greatly.

I think when Fortnite introduced the Lego, Racing and Festival game experiences they were showing that it's not just a battle royale game it's more a hub to different experiences. There will probably be a lot more Disney collabs in Fortnite at least. Unreal engine is probably being used outside games with Disney. Just saw this too

Iger answering questions on this atm(currently listening to investor call):

- Was presented decks showing demographics of Millenials, Gen Z, etc... and was "shocked" at how popular videogames are among the younglings. Felt immediately he needed to get more involved beyond licensing.

- Knew Tim Sweeney from some other collab in the past. Felt Fortnite made the most sense to get involved with first.

- Licensing has been the most successful strategy for gaming from the company(cites ~$9 billion performance). Mentions how happy with performance of Spider-man 2 last year(duh!)

• Advertisement

Advertisement