Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

There was no state in the defamation case. The defamation case was Bailey against several newspapers. Alfie said he was 90% sure he introduced Sophie and Bailey. Bailey denied it ever happened. The judge sided with Alfie and said it was likely true. Can't really argue with that.

However the bar in civil cases is lower than in criminal ones, so a judge in a murder trial might have said, while its likely true, there's a small bit of doubt there. The DPP often takes a similar approach to murder cases, namely if there's any doubt or room for doubt, then its 50/50 whether you will get a conviction.

A murder trial for this case would have been hugely expensive and complicated, running to millions of pounds, and the DPP has a responsibility to the taxpayer to make sure there is a strong probability of a conviction. The evidence in this case was almost entirely circumstantial, although there has been murder convictions in recent times based on circumstantial evidence alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

There's quite a few indicators that suggest it may have taken place in the morning rather than between 12 and 3am.

But once again you display poor knowledge of the facts and have a go at a poster who has a better grasp than you.

I know they will never release them, but did the gardai ever find anything useful in the phone records for Sophies phone which might indicate someone called her, or she was potentially in contact in some way with her murderer. If she knew someone was coming over, they'd likely have phoned ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭CuriousCal

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dunno where I read it, so comes with caveats.

I remember reading the line in the cottage was an older line, so it was just identifiable as to type of call, local, national, international.

As in, you couldn't get an itemised breakdown of number called.

I'm not sure if calls received were tracked back then? Perhaps someone has a better understanding.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

There would have been some itemised billing around then, but possibly only for urban, modernised telephone exchanges.

Even so, local, national and international would be helpful. The gardai really should have gone through this or used it in in evidence, to help track what she was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭CuriousCal

My mistake I read on another thread he was a witness for the state

• Registered Users Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Again because I recently listened to it and it's fresh in my mind, the West Cork podcast talks about phone records etc.

They said that there was a mix of systems, some digital others, more rural, analog.

The Gardai looked into it in the context of when Bailey originally got the call from The Cork Examiner.

Because Bailey's was the old system they could only determine when he got calls rather than where they came from.

And he got multiple calls that morning so there was no way to determine which were which.

It's probably the same with Sophie's phone.

And I'm sure they did look into Sophie's phone and found out what they already were told, her last call was at the time her husband said they talked.

If there were other calls we would have heard about them by now.

Ok well if she didn't receive calls, its unlikely she had arranged for someone to come over late at night, and the murderer showed up uninvited. A case to be made she didn't know her attacker, or was not that friendly with them, or they turned up randomly. To put it bluntly its unlikely she was having an affair with them and she didn't really have any friends in Ireland from what I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 OnTheCorner

I never said it did. Not sure you understand the point I originally made.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Well then your post must have had some cryptic meaning because when you replied to a comment about Alfie allegedly using Sophie's bath and pissing her off having noisy parties, you said "Still nothing compared to what we know Bailey did.".

So what did you mean then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭leath_dub

In the West Cork podcast they said the local telephone exchange was an old analogue one at the time, so the amount of info that can be gleaned from that is limited

• Registered Users Posts: 28 OnTheCorner

My point was that people here including you are saying that there is no way Bailey the known woman beater who almost killed Jules couldn’t have killed Sophie but the guy who had an argument about a gate and may have used her bath? Definitely a suspect! It’s pure nonsense.

I never said that he couldn't have killed her. I've consistently stated that we don't know and while we can't rule him out, we also should not rule out loads of other people. Based on the facts available, I don’t believe he did it.

People are making assumptions about Bailey because he was a c**t. In fact, if you look at the available evidence whilst also considering opportunity and motive, I believe that Bailey would be low down on the list. If it was clear that Bailey was the murderer then the DPP wouldn't have taken the unusual step of completely shredding the Garda case. Plus members of AGS wouldn't have felt the need to destroy actual evidence and try fabricating their own evidence!

Even the woman he viciously attacked on a number of occasions knows (not "believes") he us innocent. Her daughters, who seem to despise him, also think he didn't do it.

You should not make assumptions on someones guilt - it didn't work for another c**t, (Gerry O'Carroll) as we all know!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I watched one of those real life murder documentaries the other day- UK based, about 20 years ago.

A husband and Wife killed in their home- both stabbed many times. Very unusual. Turns out their loving son killed them. People were in disbelief coming up to the trial - no one could believe he’d done it.

As it happened he was influenced by online killing forums- had loads of books on murder crime and police forensics. Was also big into knives and martial arts.

Quiet as a mouse- softly spoken, liked by all- loved by parents- no home trouble at all

Yes it could be Bailey - absolutely- but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t be someone else.

The really spooky thing in the case above is completed these two murders in very little time- then went out with friends to a concert I think a short time later - no doubt Bailey had the physical attributes to carry out this crime - but did he have the capacity to present as “ normal” the following morning?

A question I certainly can’t answer as I didn’t know him- but it’s a reasonable question to ask- I’d say most people couldn’t

You should not make assumptions on someones guilt - it didn't work for another c**t, (Gerry O'Carroll) as we all know!

Is it that bad for the people who think it wasn't Bailey that they have to use a case from a decade earlier with zero connection to this case to try and make some sort of a point?

As for Jules's "knowing" he was innocent, I think the very opposite.

I think she knows he did it, and she helped cover up what she could.

She didn't come forward after her break up with Bailey a few years ago because she was scared of him and because she could be charged with obstruction in the case, and now he's dead she is not coming forward because the obstruction charge could still come about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

The Gardaí are more likely to have perverted the course of justice than Jules.

Is it that bad for the people who think it wasn't Bailey that they have to use a case from a decade earlier with zero connection to this case to try and make some sort of a point?

There is plenty to indicate that Gardai have fixated on Bailey to the point that they have concocted evidence, they've publicly incriminated him, etc. It might be connected to the Kerry Babies case because the gardai fixated on one suspect and fit the crime to them.

As for Jules's "knowing" he was innocent, I think the very opposite.

I think she knows he did it, and she helped cover up what she could.

She didn't come forward after her break up with Bailey a few years ago because she was scared of him and because she could be charged with obstruction in the case, and now he's dead she is not coming forward because the obstruction charge could still come about.

She literally stated that she knows he didn't do it. There is no fear of him. She also could easily get an immunity deal and her solicitor would know this but hasn't taken one so your point doesn't hold water.

Bailey incriminated himself multiple times, circumstantially. No alibi, contradictions about premonitions, denials of knowing her, multiple confessions, allegedly intended as "black humour" even though it was an open case.

Now either Bailey was the murderer or he just revelled in being associated with this case as a suspect possibly with a view to fame and financial gain down the line, but either way no one put him in the frame more than Bailey. Its possible he was innocent, but to not even be considered a suspect is daft.

As for Alfie being a suspect, you think he'd remove the murder weapons at least before telling everyone! There's more chance of the loose horses being suspects than Alfie.

Bailey possibly being a Walter Mitty character does not justify AGS effectively telling locals that he was the one or for AGS to destroy crucial evidence and trying to concoct their own evidence.

Regarding your comment on Alfie, I've no idea what the murderer was thinking but he still had motive and opportunity so not sure why you flippantly rule him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I can't understand why a car was allowed out through the cordon with rubbush also possibly destroying evidence on the ground and tyre tracks of other vehicles? Whatever it was it could have waited for another day..

But you assume that it was not checked before it was allowed go through and that no account was made of existing tyre tracks.

You can't assume that.

IMO the Gardai have very good reasons for Bailey being the main suspect and very good reasons for Lyons and others not being suspects.

Some of those reasons we know, some we don't, but just because we don't know about something does not mean that the Gardai did not investigate it.

It is reasonable to doubt it was checked and that existing tyre tracks were made, in the absence of that being specified anywhere.

If it was bags and bags of rubbish, it seems doubtful they were properly checked - think about what that would entail. You'd need to remove the bags from the car and empty them.

We don't know the "very good reasons" because the record of it was deliberately destroyed by one or more Guards. Which suggests they are not sound reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Especially if the local dump was, in fact, closed that day.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

We don't know the "very good reasons" because the record of it was deliberately destroyed by one or more Guards. Which suggests they are not sound reasons.

Not calling you out in particular here but where is it recorded that these things were deliberately destroyed?

I'd like to read about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭Deeec

Thats the first I heard that the dump was closed and if it was closed then where did Shirley go?

I dont know how she was in a fit state to go anywhere after discovering a body- it does seem she was determined to get to the dump or some other location. Her behaviour given the situation was not normal at all.

Motive? As in arguments over a gate? Are you serious?

Which evidence are you referring to that the AGS destroyed? And please don't say the gate.

There's also accounts that Bailey destroyed evidence by the way. Not helpful to his case either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

It took a day or two for the sh1t to hit the fan. Then they realised who Sophie was, she was not some random foreign holidaymaker probably killed by someone who came with her, a lover maybe. Then it made international news and the local Garda were caught like rabbits in the headlights. But the damage had been done, messy crime scene, no proper forensics until after dark 12 hours later, no pathologist for 24 hours, no one in overall charge, an fiasco in the glare of the media. Then it got worse, keystone cops stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

For me, the actions of Jules Thomas are key.

In interviews, she strikes me as a moral, honest person.

More importantly, she stayed by Bailey when the accusations were levelled despite their horrible past and the liklihood that their relationship was coming to an end. There was no more love, but there was duty.

As soon as Bailey was in the clear, she dropped him and moved on with her life. Her watch was ended. Whatever there had been on the past, she had no fear of him between the murder and final separation.

This selflessness suggests to me that she knew he did not do it. And, despite everything, she would not see him wronged.

• Advertisement

Pages were deliberately removed - they were not "lost", they were deliberately removed.

Missing pages from the garda ”Jobs Book” in relation to the murder investigation are of the most concern GSOC as the specific pages missing are from an area of the book when Ian Bailey seems to have first been identified as a potential suspect in the murder by gardaí – and as such, “they are potentially very significant”.

The report stated that as the hard-backed book had a glued spine “it would not be possible for pages to simply fall out of the book by accident and for them to be removed, this would have to have been a deliberate act”.

https://www.thejournal.ie/grave-concern-over-missing-evidence-in-du-plantier-murder-investigation-4161933-Aug2018/

Advertisement