Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

So am I right in thinking if I change my local parkrun profile to female I can go from 300th to top 10?no blood tests needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

It's another example of the woke stuff that makes voters so angry that they are willing to vote for Trump this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Yes, you can, and this has already happened plenty in UK parkruns.

Sian Longthorpe is a trans-identifying male (transwoman) who "smashed" the women's record in Porthcawl, South Wales, and beat the second-place woman by more than a minute. Longthorpe was competing in the male category until Longthorpe left his wife and children in 2019 to "become a woman". Longthorpe set no records in the male category.

Lauren Jeska is a trans-identifying male (transwoman) who still holds the record in the female parkrun category in Aberystwyth, South Wales. Jeska is unlikely to set any more records any time soon, because Jeska is in jail for attempted murder. Jeska took exception to an athletics official suggesting Jeska ought not be competing with females because Jeska's testosterone was too high, so Jeska went to his office with a couple of knives and stabbed him, leaving him with life-threatening injuries. Jeska set not records in the male category.

Jeska (a male) is serving time in a women's prison.

So sure, fill your boots!

Those pesky women just don't train hard enough anyway, according to a (very) few people here. Teach them a lesson, sure.

Post edited by MilkyToast on

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Neither paranoid nor deluded, I have no reason to be, seeing as I’m not the target of their derision:

https://www.insure4sport.co.uk/blog/uk-attitudes-towards-women-in-sport/

Do you realise that the information in that survey doesn't support your assertion? Plenty of interesting information for sure. But it in no way upholds your assertion that :

That obviously plays into the role of women in terms of sports, and it was largely uncontroversial for most of human history that women should not be permitted to participate in sports - they were activities solely for men. That belief is still largely uncontroversial.

Your belief should show that at minimum a majority should not be in favour of allowing women to participate in sports. There is no evidence of that in your article (There are minority opinions which have much milder aversions to women's sport, but absolutely nothing like you're suggesting).

Look, if this is a hill you want to die on then knock yourself out. Everyone who lives in the real world knows exactly what kind of nonsense your talking. When you make nonsense assertions like this it just weakens your standing for anyone reading through the thread and highlights you're willingness to assert complete nonsense with no evidence to support it.

I think you may have misunderstood when I gave examples of immutable characteristics such as sex and gender. ‘Trans’ is not a gender, it is a prefix. It can be followed by the words ‘gender’ or ‘sexual’, depending upon a person’s preference.

Again, do you understand at all what you're saying when you say that gender is an immutable characteristic? Here is the first definition of immutable I found when I googled for the definition of the word: "unchanging over time or unable to be changed."

So are you saying that gender is unchanging over time / unable to be changed? Do you see at all how this might make the very concept of someone being transgender incompatible with the concept of gender being immutable? You know it is perfectly OK for you to say that you got that wrong and that gender is not an immutable characteristic. Because if you really do think that gender is unchanging over time and cannot be changed then you're about as far as it's possible to get on the anti-transgender spectrum.

I do 100% agree that sex is currently an immutable characteristic.

I’ve never said that what sports organisations are doing is illegal? The point in saying that there isn’t anything unique about sports organisations and their policies that they shouldn’t be held to the same standards in law as any other organisation, is that failure to do so would result in a situation where they could actually make up their own rules.

You're main argument on this thread is that not allowing transwomen to compete in the female sex category is somehow discrimination on the grounds of gender. Yet you are now saying that there are no sports organisations breaking anti-discrimination laws by not allowing transwomen to compete in female sex categories. If that's the case then great! We're in total agreement.

I have no problem agreeing that sports organisations are subject to the law of the land in every jurisdiction they operate in. If that's the only point you're trying to make then grand, I agree. And since no sports organisation has been found by any legal ruling to be discriminating against transwomen by excluding them from the female sex category then it looks like we might actually agree on everything.

Feel free to correct me if I am not interpreting your quoted statement above correctly, and letting me know what you actually think if I have got it wrong.

Oh, sports organisation make their own rules. Sometimes these are called laws. They can also be called regulations. In all cases, they only apply to the sport and can only be enforced by the sport. That doesn't mean they can invent civil laws for themselves, or have their "laws" enforced by the state.

You quote from the above article to back up your opinion. That is an opinion piece and no more. There is no evidence presented to back up her assertions. Just because someone else repeats the same lies that you repeat does not make them any less of a lie.

Nobody is excluding transgender people from participating in sports. Transwomen (male sex, female gender) athletes are being excluded from competing in the female sex category. They are perfectly entitled to compete in the male sex category. That is not excluding them from participating in sports. The lie doesn't become true just because you keep repeating it.

The new rules do nothing to address the issue of player’s safety to prevent the sort of behaviour that caused this woman’s injuries

I haven't made any arguments about player safety. The issue is fundamentally about fairness. There are plenty of sports where there is no safety issue with males competing alongside females in the same event (Most sports I participate in are fully mixed, with males and females competing in the same event. Only the results are categorised). It remains unfair to allow male sex athletes to be ranked in the female category nonetheless. Hence why sports with little or no safety issues, such as swimming (the thread subject matter) and athletics, have ensured that no athlete who has been through male puberty can participate in the female category.

In terms of strength I’ve already demonstrated the different levels of strength between individuals, as opposed to presuming whole groups in society are of even similar strength, because that would be an assumption based upon prejudice.

That's either a strawman, or unscientific nonsense. It's hard to read clearly what you're trying to say there, hence I'm unsure.

If you're asserting that everyone is different then you're constructing a strawman. Nobody is saying otherwise. If you're saying that because everyone is different then we cannot state broad facts based on categories then that is unscientific nonsense.

E.g. Every individual has their own height. (just like whatever strength measurement you're alluding to). That doesn't mean that we can't say that in general Males are taller than Females. It's certainly not true that every male is taller than every female, but that doesn't make the assertion that in general males are taller than females untrue. (And there are many sports where height is advantageous, so it isn't irrelevant to this discussion... it's just a real world example of an obvious truth which you are attempting to negate).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Park run isn't a competition so all of that is irrelevant

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Park run makes a big deal out of its record holders in separated categories and keeps time records to allow people to compare their own performance against their own and others'. Allowing mediocre males who'd never place in the male category to compete against females and steal what are rightfully their records is blatantly unfair and a very vast majority of people recognise that. Your personal opinion is neither here nor there.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Pages and pages of theory, discussion and Psychobabble, yet the answer is very simple! Men participate in men's sports and women participate in womens sports - sorted 👍

Man = Adult Human Male XY

Woman = Adult Human Female XX

Hope this isn't too controversial as Ex Olympic swimmer Sharon Davies advocates a mouth swab to determine one's sex, should there be any confusion on inclusion or exclusion to the category one belongs to.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Re Park run, are there not course times and records for different categories?

Women's category, course record, mens category course record etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

Parkrun categorises people by self-declared gender rather than sex. Personally, I don't have an issue with that. As mentioned above, the parkrun ethos is about health and participation, rather than competition. I don't think it's unreasonable for them to prioritise inclusion over competitive fairness in that context. And, at least they aren't confused about the difference between sex and gender. I kind of admire that they are quite clear about it as well.

https://support.parkrun.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005339137-Gender

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Tell me you never played sport without telling me

So lets say I self-identify as a woman (but I'm obviously male) and the Parkrun form has box 1 Women, box 2 Men, do I tick box No 1 or box No 2, or .... if the option exists should I tick box No 3 - Open category 🤔

In fairness to Parkrun, they are clear that they have gender categories. They know exactly what they are doing, and fully understand the implications of that decision. It's all outlined here (https://support.parkrun.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005339137-Gender). So the behaviour outlined in MilkyToast's post is totally within their rules. It's a good illustration of what is likely to happen when you have Gender categories rather than Sex categories.

Of course, Annasopra is still showing her usual lack of knowledge when it comes to sports issues (And completely misses the much more relevant point that Parkrun categorises by Gender). Parkrun also acknowledges that some people run in their events on a competitive basis, and the fact that they keep records of fastest times (in multiple categories) is in itself competitive.

They have a "prefer not to say" option. You can choose anything you like. It's up to you. Note that they do acknowledge that this is different to conventional athletics categories.

Ha... I was writing my very similar reply as you were posting yours. Agree totally with your points.

I can tell you exactly what the box says. There are four options. You can say: male, female, "another gender identity" or "prefer not to say". If you click "female" then your results are listed under the female gender even if your sex is male. As they point out in the policy - they aren't going to get into the business of attempting to verify any personal details (like name, age, gender). It's all self declared. Obviously, that's never going to work for competitive sport but it's how they do it in parkrun. Afaik, if you select 'another gender identity' or prefer not to say, then I think your gender is blank on the results.

Thanks for that Enduro, so I've just read the Parkrun admission form and it seems anything goes, Gender based entry, so you could enter gender fluid, gender neutral, non binary, multi spirit etc, so it is very inclusive, but its also totally up in the air re course records and whether one is a woman one day and a man the next. All good fun, but not to be taken seriously, which is fine 👍

Competitive swimming, Olympic swimming, athletics & cycling are now tightening up the rules of entry based on human sex as man or woman, male or female, so Lia Thomas can still compete, but not in the ladies events anymore ....

I have taken part in park run yes. Its not a competition. That's the whole ethos of it.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Cool. So the rants above about trans women "stealing" cis women's places etc are completely and utterly irrelevant and nonsense. 👍

Terry Pratchet

If they really wanted to prioritise fun and inclusion, they would do away with the categories and record-keeping entirely. The result of the current attempt at it is only serving to ensure that, eventually, women will never get records, while men who fancy one can just pick a different gender that day and Bob's your uncle. Might as well make it explicitly a male-only record holder affair.

You were wrong. It's not competitive. There's no trans women stealing anything from cis women in park run.

Terry Pratchet

Except the records in Aberystwyth and Porthcawl and, I'm sure, multiple other places soon.

You are wrong.

As are the people saying it's 'fair enough' for males to run as females and 'smash' records in female categories, because Parkrun have been upfront about allowing males to do this.

Park run is not competitive and is inclusive of all. That's part of their ethos. Nobody "stole" anything.

Terry Pratchet

Most of the stats on their website are individual rather than competitive. You can see your own (and other people's) times and results for every parkrun you did, with best times recorded for each year. There used to be a small amount of competitive stats which used to provide the data for a "best" male and female runner of each year, but they stopped recording that a number of years ago.

In fact, I just went looking for the male and female fastest finisher information for a few locations and I can't find it any more. So, unless I'm mistaken they seem to have dropped that too. Same applies to "national" records. As far as I can see they are gone as well. You might be able to get that information from other websites who have access to their data, but it doesn't seem to be on the parkrun site itself anymore.

<Update>Okay, it seems you can still get the fastest male and female finisher information, by sorting the event history table. They have removed it as a I thought from where it used to be, but you can still find the info if you know where to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It sounds like you two are in agreement that completely removing the competitive element (other than against yourself) allows this to work.

The corollary being that it cannot work when the competitive element is brought back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Did Ciara Mageean not recently set a WR time for Parkrun? Or at least it was in the Sports headlines.

If there were not records or results posted and it were truly a 'fun run', I would have no issue with it whatsoever. I think community running and other exercise groups are great - especially in the modern era when both moving around outdoors and finding community and friendships are hard enough. I don't want anyone, regardless of their sex, personality, whatever, to not be able to take part in beneficial activities. I do strongly object to male people setting records or getting accolades or recognition in female categories though, because it's not fair and it affords males a 'double opportunity' to get such things while reducing female chances of doing so. There is not a single thing stopping the fastest male runner 'feeling feminine' for a week and setting a record that would be all but impossible for a woman to break, and that situation is wrong for as long as sex ('female' is not a gender) categories exist and results are publicly posted.

• Advertisement

She did, and once you time people and record their times, then other people are going to point out notable results, or even unofficial "world records" for parkrun. They are just a bit of fun. Parkrun courses vary a lot so records are not that meaningful. Victoria in Belfast is very flat - a good place to run a PB. I found this report from a different parkrun, the same week that Mageean ran (these reports are written by volunteers, so they don't reflect any official point of view)

At just the same time as Ewan broke our male course record, over the water at Victoria parkrun, Belfast the world female parkrun record was being smashed by the Irish international athlete Ciara Mageean. A few people online seem to have got a bit sniffy about that, using our ‘not a race’ catchphrase in quite the wrong way; but at parkrun, certainly we are not elitist but we don’t indulge in ‘inverted snobbery’ either. Nobody is too slow for parkrun but equally, neither is anyone too fast. What all of us, fast or slow, say to Ewan we also say to Ciara: well done, fellow parkrunner!

I think it captures the difference between parkrun and competitive athletics. It probably used to be more competitive, but it's different now. Also, the parkrun gender policy has evolved. It is what it is. Some are happy with it and others aren't. If a male trans athlete comes along and breaks Ciara's record, I'm sure there'll be a big discussion about it. But, I don't get the impression that the policy will change.

Advertisement