Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Or Mattress Mick, purveyor of bouncy cash storage units

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Joe did a show about funerals and cremation but didn't say the full cost would be. He could have done a lot better on that subject tbh.

An post advert on RTE for furenal insurance but there is a clause I think.

Credit union also do some sort of furenal thing if you have an account.

But I think only a widow or partner can claim the above two things. So if you are single these are worthless to you.

I remember Gay Byrne doing Liveline show many many years ago about the cost of weddings and someone from I think Ballymun paid £60 for their wedding and got a prize for doing so.

Joe regards every bank card as a credit card from listening to him regardless of if it is a debit card.

• Re Funeral Pre-Payment Plans, my mother prepaid my faaader’s and her funerdals a good few years ahead of their demise, she didn’t want to see me troubled or out of pocket or anything, she knew I had health issues and wanted to reduce stress I might suffer. World’s most thoughtful mother, she was.

Bank of Ireland had a scheme for it back in the 1990s, and there was an agreement with Fanagans, not sure how many undertakers took part in these. So she dragged me along “coffin shopping” to Fanagans in Aungier St., and discussed the various expenses and signed the documents.

She had a very black and wicked sense of humour and asked for “a light coloured coffin for myself as I’m light hearted, a dark one would suit my husband’s personality as he sees the dark side of life”. My faaader was ailing with recurrent heavy smoking related strokes from age 65, but clung on until age 79, actually looked terrific when laid out, good looking man that he was. She had requested that “neither of us should look dead when laid out”.

When my mother entered the mortuary chapel to see him laid out, myself and his two sisters in tow, said exclaimed “HE’S GOT MY COFFIN!” The sisters burst out laughing, It was the most surreal scene as the chaplain entered and looked stunned as my mother argued about the colour of the coffin! “HE’S GOT A LIGHT ONE, I DONT WANT A DARK ONE, MR FANAGAN!” The whole chapel was in stitches at this stage.

When my mother died 8 years later, Fanagans said “your mother was a one-off, we don’t get many laughs in our profession but she certainly gave us one to remember. I have a nice singer lined up for her, Eurovision winner, Eimhear Quinn”.

The obituary from the altar included how she set up a Fawlty Tower lookalike scene as a practical joke on another family member, the one where Polly dresses up as Mrs Fawlty in a dark room, curtains pulled, pretending to be indisposed.

In spite of my father’s very serious side, he was known to draw the very odd cartoon, or pen funny caption across photos.

Both my parents funerdals would entertain Joe no end if I ever get the chance to speak with him about them, real Liveline stuff.

In those days ya got the funerdal grant, and though I’d not paid a penny for either funeral I was about to claim it, lol. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,665 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The silence on John Bruton was deafening. The 1pm news dedicated the entire show to it, but not a mention of it from Joe. But if some obscure poet from the 1950s were to die in near obscurity, Joe would be right onto it.

"Maura from Inis Meain" by Seamus Sheaney

Oh Maura a stoir,

I met in Inis Meain,

You poured me pints,

But the best gift, even better than the electric blanket,

I got in 1975,

Was the smile you gave me

That chilly morning,

As the rain fell upon us, and I asked for the ride

You gracefully smiled at me, and while,

Your lips said no,

Your eyes, said read my lips.

Joe: Beautiful! Beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭zell12

That really grinds my gears. People think a credit card is a huge commitment, and to be honest, it is a bit. But when places have a sign saying card only, they dont mean credit card only, they mean any kind of bank card only. Similarly, the "tap" thing. Every bank card is enabled for tapping. So someone saying "Oh Joe I wasn't able to buy my cinema tickets because I couldn't tap", is either misinformed or just stupid. If they really did not want to tap for whatever reason, they can insert their card and put in their pin and pay that way. All the terminals accept card insertion, as well as tapping.

As a Public Service, Joe could educate these "older" people, that they could have used their regular bank card, that there's a 99% chance they could have tapped, and if they could not, they can still pay with their card. But 350,000 a year doesnt get you that level of public service in todays climate.

Funnily enough I was in a taxi yesterday and I went to pay with the card, and the taxi driver, who might be classed as an "older" person said, "I don't suppose you have cash?", I said, I do, and he goes "I have the machine alright but I don't know how to use it"

As a Public Service, Joe could educate

• Advertisement

Perhaps I should rephrase, as a public service, the presenter could bring on an expert, and by expert I mean basically anyone au fait with payment cards, to educate the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Tow

Like the Cocaine Expert on this morning?

I did not catch the start was he an in-house RTE expert, so to speak?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I didn't hear that segment. Knowing RTE, he was probably an old friend of Gerry Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,665 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

and he goes "I have the machine alright but I don't know how to use it"

Oh, that's very handy in case he didn't want to expose his actual earnings.

I believe him, sure I do.

<sarcasm involved above>

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• I have a credit card simply as a back-up payment form and also of course the fact that it is required eg, by car rental companies. I have never ever in my life had a +number in my credit card account. I keep at least the price of a one way air ticket and a couple of hotel nights in it.

• Like the Cocaine Expert on this morning?

I did not catch the start was he an in-house RTE expert, so to speak?

The expert on Callan was a public health doctor , knows what he’s talking about.

There was another guy on with a drawly country accent, had been addicted to cocaine and quit it, then went on to tell us about his prior alcohol problem, but before that when he was a mere sperm he was a gambling addict. Addicted to everything. Callan is polite but the subject was cocaine and he had a job being the subject back on topic and getting rid of the cawlur. I’m sure the lad has been on Liveline, addicted to talking too.

Studio S7.1 command chair: Joe

Cash is no longer King

Dublin Airport: 65 EURO Charity Donation jumped on to Card.

Vaping: Catchup.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• JOE

Cash not accepted from yesterday.

Charity donation of €65 jumped into a credit card in the Loop, Doobalin Airport. A sofistikated skam, could be good.

Something else my short memory couldn’t retain.

If you have 'money on' the Credit Card it is not protected under the Credit Card rules/laws. It is your money, if you lose the money or want to do a charge back etc it is your problem, not the Credit Card companies.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

It was probably 65 cent, but Joe has his decimal point in the wrong place.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I want Sir Jeffrey to call in, can you imagine!

"Let's face it, Sinn Féin in Northern Ireland represent about 27%, 28% of the vote - that's a long way shy of a majority. Unless Mary Lou McDonald has the longest arms on this island, I don't think she's anywhere close to touching distance."

• Jaybus, more horrible hotstipples. SVUH is woeful and I refuse to spends night in it unless I am on death’s door (discharged myself last time to get a quick diagnosis and treatment elsewhere) as they keep people in beds simply as a holding pen for more urgently needed. If I were living in Limerick in my health I’d move elsewhere, and though I love the coast and streets of Galway, I’d be very nervous of their hospital facilities.

De country is banjaxed yet the LineLine is incapable of covering de issues of da day. Both Marian and Gaybo would be turning in their grave.

• Yes I know dat * 3 but it has worked for me to keep away from debt at all costs. I am unlucky in life, things happen out of the blue far too often. It would be my luck if I paid for something on credit with the credit card, I’d be struck half dead, get distracted, return to life in a load of debt.

What... The adverts on YouTube with Tubbs and Anne Doyle offering financial investment advice might be fake, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,878 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I really do hope Michael Martin gets €11 trillion in compo for his case he's got against Meta.

There is more of a chance of people seeking international protection successfully suing the Government for not providing accommodation.

• Advertisement

• Looks like my tenants are buying my gaff by end of this week. Estate agent not at all pleased that I’m selling €15k below market price because they can’t get mortgage approval for full asking price but they have approval for price I will accept. Otherwise I’d have to pay marketing costs, getting rid of contents, paint job etc etc and stand by as potential purchases fall through over weeks/months. Suits 2 out of the 3 parties.

I’ll even take a credit card and add an extra amount for charity - the charity being me. 😁

Advertisement