Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i'll put it in a different way, if a person is not old enough does not have the mental capacity to drink, smoke, drive etc, and be fully aware of the potential consequnces that comes along with those, then maybe they shouldnt vote as they may only be voting based on having a bias towards a party or only voting because so and so told them they should do it.

How about this instead: make voting based on policy, not party. remove the party names from the voting booths so people only vote based on policies put forward rather than vote based on biasedly identifying with a political party

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's not really, when someone has a book version in their head it's very hard to see the film version from the point of view of non readers, it's hard for book readers to ignore the parts that get left out. Some people will read the HP books after the films as they are easy reads but anyone expecting you to read 7 books when you already know the main story points is an complete moron. HP book readers who hate the films are mostly clowns as they had impossible expectations of the films, any sensible HP fan would admit the films got most things perfect. Unfortunately you will always find some book Nazis on the Internet. I prefer the Game of Thrones TV series to the books... and I spent 10 years dealing with that argument

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Mental capacity or legal capacity? Lots of old people might not have mental capacity to do things, but nobody has legally stopped an old person smoking because they don't understand the consequences.

But that's just a proxy for understanding the political system. If you want a test for understand the political system to disqualify people who don't have enough knowledge, then using proxies is a worse way to do it than just testing for the actual thing you want to test for.

As I see it, there's no way to justify disqualifying ALL under 18s from voting that wouldn't also disqualify loads of old people (and plenty of people between 18 and old age).

either capacity, you can choose. the thing where you wouldnt let a child hold a gun or sign a serious contract that sort of thing.

should the voting be taken seriously? or should people be allowed to willy nilly vote for the same parties just because their mom said so and family told them and passed it down through the years without even glancing at policy?

People far too much think of voting like rooting for football teams. when there's a clown in office (quite common these days anyway) blame the people who voted them in.

don't Disqualify voters, just make them have to answer/explain why they voted so that way we know others didnt simply just put them up to it. always happens! they should be given a brief but better understanding of voting before being allowed to cast their vote.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

do any of yea actually want to live in a democratic society, voters been asked to explain themselves, seriously!

...i like the colour green, so i always vote for the greens!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fcuk i love carlin....

...yes its sh1t, but would it be better with it or without it.....

Yeah and we wouldn't let loads of older people sign a serious contract, for example. Are you suggesting disenfranchising them too? And I'm not necessarily disagreeing, I'm just always surprised by how flippantly people dismiss one group from voting and not another group based on the same criteria.

As much as I don't like the fact that some people just vote the way their parents pr grandparents do, you asked if they should be ALLOWED to do so and my answer is yes.

i don't really know what i'm suggesting to be honest, i'm just enjoying the convo and talking out my backside and brain storming random ideas related to all this.

i believe everyone should be allowed to vote, but they shouldnt just throw away their vote because of being loyal to a certain group.

how about letting all vote but removing the party names from the voting boot, and only leaving the policies there for people to vote on?

I get you. Me too, to be honest. Removing the party names and voting based on policies would be fascinating. There are sites that analyse the manifestos close to an election. You fill out the questionnaire, rate how important you consider a range of issues and it shows which manifesto you most closely align with. I did it with a load of friends in the UK a couple of elections back and a good fee of them came out Lib Dem. They were really surprised and then voted for the party they always voted for anyway.

The country would be much better off if people voted on policy lines rather than party lines.

• Advertisement

I think if we're so fine with disenfranchising young people based on age, the same should apply at the other end of the age spectrum. People would go spare if you seriously suggested it. But they're absolutely fine with dismissing the notionnthat young people should be allowed to vote.

I have never heard an argument that fair and square disqualifies all young people under age 18 from voting, that doesn't also disqualify a lot of old people (and loads of people in between)

Don't understand the system: that could apply to loads of people of all ages.

Can't sign a serious contract: plenty of older people don't have capacity to sign contracts but we don't take away their right to vote.

Would vote for silly policies: lots of people would vote for policies I consider silly or even harmful, but I don't think I should be able to disqualify them on the basis that I don't like how they choose to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Suckler

i don't really know what i'm suggesting to be honest, i'm just enjoying the convo and talking out my backside and brain storming random ideas related to all this.

To be fair; the thread topic is "Controversial Opinion"... I put out the original one of disagreeing with the premise of "one man, one vote"; it's an opinion that I don't have all the immediate answers on either.

Just fed up of hearing ridiculous misinterpretations of policy / down right stupid opinions being bandied about and knowing that their vote carry's the same weight as everyone else.

To be clear, it's not differing opinion I'm contesting either. I think a large chunk of people don't really care, they'd vote black is white despite what demonstrable. Some people need to be led.

yeah, but my opinions are controversial and this is where we are meant to put them.

Also i did suggest When it comes to elections and voting that i think it would be far more simple and important to make each political party have a spinning top, and the winner is decided from whoever wins the spinning top battle, either that or a race with remote control cars that have a flag sticking out of the back of them, the flag being which political party they belong to.

While that is controversial, its the best idea i can come up with. So good i even decided to put it in my signature for a few hours. How do you like that? is it good? do you like it?

I think we're saying the same thing.

yeah, but my opinions are controversial and this is where we are meant to put them.

Agreed - that's where I was coming from with my original post. It's a controversial opinion, not something I've fleshed out with a workable solution that everyone would buy in to.

The " Blind Date" solution is one that could work in theory but would be impossible to police. Your last line sums it up; policy lines rather than party lines/dogwhistle stuff.

what is your response to my suggestion about spinning top battles and remote control car races between the political parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Tesco own brand crisps are nicer than Tayto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

There's a few different crisps that are nicer than tayto.

very true. tayto is way too salty in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Here is a controversial opinion that is enough to drive much devide between the boarders.

TAYTO VS KING crisps! i believe king crisps are better than tayto. please dont kill me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KissMeArse

All the discussion on previous pages about Harry Potter – sorry but anyone above the age of 18 that is into this childish fantasy stuff is a total manchild (or whatever the female equivalent is)

i like this controversial opinion.

its not the fantasy we're into, its imagining having sex with the characters that counts. the ones above 18 of course

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I don't think the opinion of "some people are not informed enough to vote" is particularly controversial.

A huge chunk of the world don't operate democracy at all.

That's not controversial. Well I'd say plenty of people are not informed enough to make an informed vote.

The controversial part is that we disenfranchise an entire group from voting because we think they're not informed enough to vote, but once that same uninformed person becomes 18, they can vote for the rest of their life. Nobody ever judges how informed they are. If that person gets dementia, we still don't consider them too uninformed to vote.

The fact that young people aren't allowed to vote is a scandal. And it's so obvious it's staring us in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Cordell

If you're old enough to work, drive and give consent for sex then you're definitely old enough to vote. It doesn't matter how informed you are, or how informed others think you are, that's just not relevant when it comes to universal vote. Even if you make an uninformed choice that's your right and your choice to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

You sound like someone who has never heard of Disney or Pixar or just doesn't understand that lots of great entertainment is designed for both adults and kids. HP is marketed towards kids but when Rowling wrote the books they were written to appeal to everybody.

i feel harry potter became too teen-drama based as it went on. The first 2 movies had an essense of childlike wonder into the world of magic. They felt magical too. as the movies became later they began turning into teen romance drama's and then ultimately becoming action movies entirely, with a bit of politics or left wing issues sprinkled in.

i hated the cringe pro-awkwardness approach towards the end.

• Advertisement

you almost made that sound like its everyone inherent right to have sex lmao.

"Even if you make an uninformed choice that's your right and your choice to make." sex isnt a choice for some people

Advertisement