Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Field east

Putin’s ’short term objective is to get back to the ‘USSR ‘ position ie the geographical position re power and land pre 1991. He is attempting to ‘chip’ away at that. His long term objective is to dominate the world re his vision of how each country is set up, who controls it - aka as per the way Putin wants it controlled - they are all complying to The Russian way of running a country, etc, etc.

So, some boardies here are suggesting the since we have not been atttacked in the last 100 years we will not be attacked in the next 100 yrs. we now know they Ru will ‘stick its oar in’ when it can, where it can and with what it can .

Russia does not have to have one soldier’s foot on Irish soil - apart from all those feet at the Ru embassy in Dublin, all needed re

-cut the grass

- clean the windows

-make the tea

-clean the windows

- put out the bins

-walk the dogs

-do the shoppin

-drive the cars x 3

-sweep the footpaths

-weed the flower beds

-make the beds

- hoover the hall, stairs , landing and all rooms

-polish/ dust the furniture.

-guard at entrance gate x2

-hall porter

-valet

-clothes ironer

-document filer

- car polisher

-puncture repairer

- house keeper

-cook x2

-gardener

-outside maintenance

-inside maintenance

-route planner

That leaves Circa 6 to 8 staff to do the core task of the embassy re dealing with its counterparts in the Irish gov and in a diplomatic way. So it looks like that the Irish gov has little room for manoeuvre re requesting a staff reduction!!!!!

RUSSIA ATTACKING IRELAND - POSSIBILITIES

Russia can do untoward damage using ICT, REMOTELY, by attacking all the gov departments , simi states and the big companies for starters .

Russia can do untoward damage by launching all kinds of missiles - including drones- from submarines

Russia can do untoward damage by cutting/blowing up undersea cables/supply pipes

Russia can cause major disruption to Irish economy by funding Irish groups that will do it’s bidding

-

-

I do not believe , for one second, that NATO would NOW expect ireland to invest €11 m annually in arms investment - when one considers the side of the Irish economy.

It may have made sense not to join NATO up till now but things have changed big time over the last Number of years eg invasion of UKr; cyber attack on the HSE, interference in USA elections.

Look at Finland and Sweden. Both were staunchly against joining NATO up to recently. But that all changed because of above

i think that it makes perfect sense, IN PRINCIPAL, for Ireland to use a UK service , eg aerial surveillance, that is of benefit to Ireland and the UK . It’s a costly exercise that Irl can ill afford. The service can track submarines, suspected illegal imports, suspicious ships eg cable cutters, likely attacks, etc. The main problem with the service is that the UK do not allow any Irish staff to be part of the crew

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

"

As a nation one should be able to monitor and defend its own sovereignty and not rely on the UK, NATO or a few fishing vessels. Ireland is weak and naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Carlson thinks he is doing some kind of a service interviewing a man who blows his internal opponents out of the sky. Throws them out of windows. Poisons them. Bans political rivals from running against him over spelling mistakes on application forms. Arrests old women and little girls for laying flowers and holding placards. What insight will such an interview reveal I wonder? Putin is a proven beyond a shadow of a doubt liar . The words from his mouth have less than zero value and utterly meaningless. We watched him rant and rave in that statement to the world on the eve on the invasion. All meaningless clap trap spouted with his ‘serious’ face on. Stating objectives and grievances that have long disappeared and being discredited. Putin is going to inform us here in the west that our deep state is corrupt and we are only pawns voting for puppet politician's. Meanwhile people flood into our country’s trying to get away from actual corrupt politicians and governments like his. Not buying that .

On the assumption the what questions TC asks Putin are put into the media , the simplest way to establish the balance of the interview is for someone to put up a list of the questions that TC did NOT ask Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

How's that guy from Carlow who was a prominent journalist in Moscow and who used to sometimes appear on podcasts etc defending the Russian regime?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Carlson thinks he is doing some kind of a service interviewing a man who blows his internal opponents out of the sky.

Point of order but I don't think Carlson is operating under any belief he's providing a journalistic service; he's a right wing demagogue who scarpered from any concept of robust debate around the time Jon Stewart handed him his áss. His credentials as a journalist are shot, but he has made bank with his contrarian Last Angry Conservative act - and seems to have become enamoured with this whole "illiberal" quasi-democratic act of Putin's. We know of course Carlson hates Trump but I'm not sure he hates what Trump is trying to achieve - the El Presidente, strongman quasi-king. And to that, someone like Putin is a god.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Russia can cause major disruption to Irish economy by funding Irish groups that will do it’s bidding"

And why we should be far more careful with vetting who is arriving in our airports & ports. We are hopelessly naïve in such matters, far too trusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I’m going to have acquaintances of mine spouting that he is the only journalist who would interview Putin and give Putin a hearing. And how it’s important to hear both sides. And this interview is some sort of profound journalistic achievement. That is the spin being put on it. Whether Carlson believes it or not is another matter. Also that take down by Jon Stewart should be amplified more I wasn’t aware of it until I read it here today. Tucker Carlson has largely been irrelevant in my life but I am starting to see him appear more frequently in forwarded what’s app messages etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Also that take down by Jon Stewart should be amplified more I wasn’t aware of it until I read it here today

Oh, Stewart's take-down of Carlson's nonsense remains an epic piece of US Political Television: dating from 2004 it comes across so quaint, and in retrospect so tragic 'cos you can see Stewart plainly begging Carlson to stop with the demagoguery and theatre, and lamenting that the obvious comedian has to defend ... being a political satirist. Carlson keeps trying to get personal digs in, and Stewart ignores and bats them away as he strikes a desperate figure, pleading for sanity.

Like I said, Carlson knows he's a theatrical demagogue, and a dangerous one at that given an apparent latter-day plummet into populism, but it's also quite noteworthy that AFAIK he never indulged this kind of actual discussion after Stewart's masterclass. Oh sure, Carlson's old Fox show had guests but they were either turkey shoots, or echo chambers - never actual debate.

What has aged like milk was Stewart's comments that the Bush II admin couldn't be topped for "absurdity". Hoooo boy, did 2004 Stewart not know what was coming in ~12 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Tucker did have a debate with a Dutch journalist and was also completely destroyed. Tucker isn’t capable of winning a debate against an intelligent person. His persona is careful managed.

Large swathes of America think Tucker is a great man and very intelligent. I rember Joe Rogan described him as a brilliant person. Dont be surprised if he runs for President in the future.

You can see that he is smart enough to know what he is doing harmful and divisive but that is the whole point. That’s why he is doing it. He would be a more dangerous prospect than Trump in my opinion because A . He is much younger and B. His narcissism is a bit more restrained and he would comprimise it and hide it and repress it to cause more chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I suspect Tucker might have a few too many skeletons in the closet. It didn't stop Trump, but those with an eye on the main prize and a few "indiscretions" in their past might see what's happening to Trump now and think twice. Hopefully!

Naw, thing about Carlson and many of his ilk such that Stewart was there begging them to stop, is they're theatrical & just part of the politics-as-entertainment greek chorus in the background. Carlson doesn't have to put his ideology on the line, doesn't have to live with any decisions: he can happily snipe and comment from the fences, rile up the base looking to be outraged - and now, not even beholden to a Network channel - without fear of reprisal or scrutiny. Carlson has nothing to gain from a stint in Politics and everything to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The Swedes have closed the nordsteam investigation

This is currently doing the rounds Russian over ran Ukrainian positions and inflicted casualties on the Ukrainians till only one survived who called in Danger close only to be told they had run out of shells.....

Hopefully this is just a propaganda piece to ramp up support,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭threeball

Tucker is trumps replacement. Putin knows Trump is a busted flush so he's installing the next best empty vessel to push his agenda. Not so much a useful idiot as a morally corrupt idiot this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 victorfranco

My question is Why should Ireland get serious about defence? Defence against what exactly? Where is the big threat? Ireland might have been a strategic and resource rich prize a few centuries ago so the Brits gobbled it up for religious reasons (in case the Catholic Spanish rocked up to go head on with the Church of England), but also to strip the country of wood to build Nelson’s ships and corn to feed the troops. A few lads from Cork and Tipp armed with Lee Enfields put paid to that and the country has been left alone ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭threeball

Ireland has to demonstrate a capacity to defend itself and its assets to some degree. If the British ever felt there was a threat coming from the west, they would have no issue making sure the holes were plugged as they saw fit. Having no protection from our end you would find that very few countries would disagree with such a move were it to happen. And they wouldn't leave until they thought the threat was no longer there. If we were part of a defence pact we'd be inviting those and others to our aid. Outside of one they'd be taking the decision from our hands. Every truly independent country in the world is able to defend itself to some degree bar us.

As we stand we're putting ourselves on par with Samoa, Liechtenstein, The Vatican, Haiti and Andorra. We don't need a bells and whistles defence system but we do need some sort of defence system.

• Advertisement

you talk about paying through the nose for something that is highly unlikely to happen. A blizzard hits Ireland about every 7 to 10 years and the place comes to a halt for a few days. So let’s shell out for Switzerland levels of gritters, snow-ploughs, mountains of salt and have that inventory rotting in warehouses for years.

Don't have to pay through the nose , there is plenty of off the shelf options for defence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Soldiers in Avdiivka given order to retreat

Avdiivka folds...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Logical decision but fcuks its not a good situation at all. A lot of this is because of US Republicans and Trump.

All Eyes On Rafah

Why the apoplexy about Carlson interviewing Putin? If they are both the compulsive liars that they are made out to be then why is this interview even getting attention?

Does it really need explaining about the seductiveness of a lie, or how for many Carlson's interview will be used as confirmation bias about pro-Russian perspectives? This interview will be the most "legitimacy" Vladimir Putin has received from the West WRT his invasion, while the interviewer will curry a lot of eyeballs and presumed "truth" as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement