Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Tell us exactly how this happened in this case. I don’t use Google pay but I’m interested to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,878 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Last time I was going through the airport I pulled out 2 crisp brand new just born so to speak €50's to buy an item someone told me to get them, the cashier looked at me as if I was handing them 2 gold bars from the Great Train Robbery, I'd say they washed their hands for the remainder of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Camp voice.

• It gives you gas Joe, lots of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Machine: Do you want to include a charitable donation. Press yes to continue.

Caller didn't look properly at it, just press yes, yes, yes, tap, finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Tow

lucozade, Joe dat's not good for your diabetes and let alone da waistline.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I don't use it myself, because it's not as transparent as say revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,048 ✭✭✭shearforce

yer one with the dead child from earlier must be enjoying Claire's story about being over charged at the airport

M

Bundoran no less.

• Advertisement

• I can’t see the figures/lettering on those machines, always have to ask cashier what is being asked on the machine. TBH charity donations shouldn’t be done that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Just leave the bottles there Cawlur, Return said they'd sort them out and want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭calculator

Post barcode stress disorder. Riveting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,994 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭johnbarrett35

Plus it had no description of what the charge was for, which is odd.

Again, if the system was properly thought out, if the machine did not recognise the bottle, it would accept the bottle or can but not pay out a deposit. If it was truly about recycling, thats what it would do. Instead people are bringing home their rejected bottles and putting them in the black bin.

M

I'd love a bit of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭johnbarrett35

This arson business is really getting out of hand now!!!!

The caller said the total charge was 160, of which 65 euros was the charity donation. I dont know the particular system, but if you dont properly read the messages, I can well imagine it going something like

"You can add an optional donation, do you wish to continue?"

Caller: Yes

What percentage would you like to donate? Move the arrow to the preferred amount

[50%] 25% 10% 5%

Caller: Next

Your total is 160 euro, do you wish to continue?

Caller: yeah whatever. Next

• Advertisement

My mate Deano can sort you out with some snow. Good quality stuff, not cut with anything.

• Aren’t you lucky you don’t have sight and coordination issues. Many others do.

• That was a rough show today, has put me in a right foul mood, can we have Michael O’Leary versus Joe tomorrow instead?

I know many others do. Anyone with sight or coordination issues should go to the cashier, not just keep clicking next and then tapping their google wallet payment. Tapping with a card has a limit of 50 euro. Google pay has no restriction. You have to enter your card and pin and confirm the amount.

Thats twice now you have pointed out to me that some people have unseen difficulties. I KNOW.

All I am saying, is, like the woman with the husband in a wheelchair and the two suitcases, this is Ireland, not the US, not many European countries, and its not 1912 anymore. There is not an army of porters waiting on the platform for you. if you need help, you need to check what help is available, and if none is available, organise it yourself.

Likewise, if you have sight or coordination issues, go to the cashier, ask them to read out the messages on the Point of Sale system. Get them to confirm how much you are paying. Blindly clicking next, next, next, finish will only cause you the person further stress and anxiety.

The last time my parents traveled abroad was about 5 years ago. My mother was 70 my father was 80. They rang the DAA a few days ahead of departure, and arranged for a guy in an electric buggy to collect them at the check in desk and bring them all the way to the gate. Deciding at the check in desk you dont fancy the half mile walk to gate 21 is too late. If you have a condition or disability, dont be embarassed, ask for help if you need it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭zell12

But what if you only have the virtual revolut card, how do use it in a physical setting?

Funnily enough I had this conundrum just yesterday.

Go into revolut, there is an option to add it to Google Wallet. Tap that, Google Pay will open up, confirm your details and your address.

Your card is now in your google wallet. When you need to pay, unlock your phone and hold the back of it to the reader, follow any prompts on your phone and/or on the reader.

• Oh I always ask and I always get help. It’s just so unnerving that what should be quick easy transactions are a fooking nightmare when…. “Do you have the Tesco card?” Phone in one hand, wallet in the other, arms and hands shaking to bits having worn out the energy having transferred shopping from checkout back to trolley where I can pack in peace myself and not delay others. Phone drops out of hand, nearly take a tumble trying to get it up off floor and then fingers refuse to grip it. In meantime some impatient people sighing in the queue.

I once had in my arms a multi-pack of water, it started to fall out of my arms which unexpectedly got weak, I threw them into check-out belt before they would fall, man in front tore into me how selfish and inconsiderate I was, would t listen to any excuses. Unfortunately up to 5% of people are dicks.

I’m really trying to point out to everyone that life is simple until it just isn’t anymore. Very simple tasks become frustratingly undoable, and most people just can’t imagine what it’s like even trying to type a post here whilst the keys on my phone are swirling around in front of my eyes. Just means I post slower, but in a retail store situation with a queue behind, well most of those people, like the aforementioned man above, cannot imagine in their wildest dreams how sometimes the body just point blank refuses to cooperate, and it can happen suddenly just as you think things are going ok. They don’t understand in any way, so they interpret YOU as being stupid, ignorant, clumsy, etc.

I always pre-order assistance in the airports. Very occasionally the admin part fails to place the order but I’ve never been let short of help. Have met some of the kindest people assisting me, including the young Mexican student at an extremely busy Cancun Airport who kept returning to see did I want any food or water brought to me and was I ok. I travel in confidence to these places knowing the local culture is very much can-do, will-do.

I was assured at Holiday World at a Uganda stand that if I want to see gorillas in the wild no problem, a bundle of local lads would literally carry me in a platform the way kings and queens, and popes were of yore!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

God love her. Really awful for the family. I have heard this Mother many times in the media before; the poor child has been unwell for a very long time; she was on deaths door in February 2020 but lived for another 4 years. The mother would not accept a 'non resuscitation' intervention.

Heart breaking and awful but its a real dilemma as to how long is too long, especially in the case of a child.

• Advertisement

Advertisement