Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Charles has cancer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Francis McM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Probably serious because of nature of the announcement and Harry flying home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

You'd have to say he's been a bit unlucky, but hopefully he's ok.

Waited decades for the top job, and when he gets it, is struck down with cancer, which hopefully was caught in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Maybe but it's easier to fly when you've a fuckton of money and free time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭893bet

If Harry didn’t come home he would also be crucified. He can’t win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

He's often stayed at Lismore Castle in a private capacity, is cousins (and friends) with the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,545 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Broadcasters in Britain presumably dreading another monarch dying and another coronation.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭batman75

Very surprised they haven't revealed what cancer Charles has. It leaves it open to rampant speculation. The lack of reveal and the return to the UK of Harry suggests it may be more serious than they are letting on. Time will tell. He will of course have access to the best treatment available but that doesn't always guarantee a positive outcome. Hopefully he can beat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

They love the pomp and ceremony alright those Brits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Genuinely baffled why anybody in Ireland would care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This is an old stale line. Of course we “care.” Nothing at all baffling about our interest in our neighbours

same way many are obsessed with British cultures. We watch their tv shows, adore their music and are obsessed with their soccer teams. Ireland and England and our people have always been very very closely linked.

this line of “why would we care” is just stupid, and seems to come from our insecurities in relation to our interest in our neighbours. Nobody should be concerned or worried that we show a keen interest in England, while pretending we don’t care

there are plenty proud Irish people comfortable in their skin and not bothered about being seen to take a friendly and engaging interest in our neighbours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

who joked about it before your post, has it been deleted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If it turns out to be pancreatic cancer it certainly doesn't. We hear talk about how survival rates for cancer have improved over the years, but they certainly haven't for this type of cancer and some brain cancers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭bmc58

Where was it confirmed he had prostate cancer?

Boards.ie for all the exclusives.

Kate had a hysterectomy, Charles has the prostate C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

True actually. I do wonder why.

I don't ever remember anybody I know (or even famous people) announcing they have cancer but not saying where.

He didn't have to announce anything if he didn't want to. Or could have just said "an illness" or "a medical condition" etc. If he considers it a personal matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,352 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Actually Dave Myers from BBC Hairy Bikers did similar. Mentioned he had cancer, where he was being treated, thanked the staff etc but didnt get into specifics.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

He's not quite The same league as King Charles though.

Charles is global box office.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Doesn't mean his cancer isn't as personal to him as anyone else with the disease.

The more famous/powerful you are the more public your cancer should be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,352 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The question did mention 'anybody', famous or otherwise though. Maybe it is more of an English thing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

I too consume British media, TV ,music and sport but they are all entertainment and consumed. It does not mean people are obsessed.

I would consume just as much USA content and it does not make me linked to America Too many people nowadays define culture and links as being defined by sport or tv but it’s more down to history, tradition and values

Ireland does not have a monarchical history or values and that makes us very different. Irish attitudes to the world are very different to British. Brexit being case in point. Outside of that, I’m a republican in the sense that I’d prefer a Republic constitution rather than a constitutional monarchy and people caring or worrying about a foreign monarch’s health is bizarre to me I don’t even understand the British public's support for a monarchy and I genuinely do not find anything about what they do interesting and view them as people who are born into wealth and continue to grow wealthier on the population’s back.

Anybody from Ireland who has more than a passing interest in their welfare or marriages, births etc are not normal in my opinion as there are far more interesting and more important issues going on in the world than the events of a bunch of aristocratic toffs

Post edited by murpho999 on

Regardless of all this, there is nothing at all baffling to me, and I’m sure plenty others in our interest here. It’s just interest. You’re challenging it from a bit of a “pissed off that Irish people are engaged and interested in news on the Royal Family.” At least that’s how it reads to me.

No, I don't understand why anybody would be interested. it's a ridiculously archaic and privileged system that's had its day in my opinion.

Lived in The Netherlands for a while and witnessed how people there followed their monarchy and the mindset behind it is just baffling to me and given our history in Ireland I find it more baffling that Irish people would have any respect/interest for them at all.

My point with you is that I fundamentally don't agree that Irish people are linked to UK culturally so should follow it. I think its the opposite actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

People are interested in all sorts of things- why the upset? I follow them for the entertainment value - squigggate and all of that - they’re much better than a soap opera because they’re real life- I don’t follow soaps - can’t stand them - but I don’t criticise people who do- following the RF in all of its ups and downs is a way of relaxing for some people -it’s no different than being a fan of the Kardashian’s or whatever - it’s got nothing to do with 800 years of English rule or imperialism or any ideology - it’s pure just entertainment- you’re over thinking this 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Be right back

It does seem odd to me that he has left London to go to Sandringham as London would have been the better place to get treatment unless his illness is worse than they are letting on, understandably so.

Ireland and England are linked in many ways.....culture is a word that can be subjective. Ireland and England and our people have been very very closely linked for so so long....

A huge part of England's identity and being is their monarchy. Their monarchy is the most known and famous in the world. Of course people will show an interest in it, and of course, Ireland being so close to England geographically and (with our links and ties) will show an interest.

Yes, not every English/British person likes/loves or agrees with a monarchy, but there are plenty plenty who do like/love and agree and support it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Not wishing him unwell- far from it- but I get the feeling there will be tough times ahead and no guarantee of full recovery - hopefully the “worst” is not a shortened lifespan and that even if it takes a few years that he achieves “cancer free” status .

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭scottser

Look. Charles will be grand - Lizard genes are great at tackling cancer.

Anyway, the UK could do without slathering over the monarchy for a while. Charles is an old fogey, and if he potters along in irrelevancy for the next 20 years it might cool some of the more distasteful jingoism of our Tan neighbours.

Altogether now:

God save our hereditary privilege

God save our unaccountability

God save the king

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Maybe he's having a break there before he starts treatment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And yet here you are on a thread about them commenting about them.

Advertisement