Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭bren2001

Theres no asterisk beside it, they beat them. Nobody will care looking at the record book.

To say that beating a 14-man team proves something is very different. It proves nothing. Next time Ireland face France, you don't point to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Nonsense. Ireland were on top with 15v15, France had their best spell when 14v15, then showed nothing when it became 14v14 after a dubious try in the second half and we had four errors all day. It was as complete a victory as you are likely to ever see in top level rugby. The biggest margin of victory in France before Friday was seven points in 1948.

This was as big a statement as the Irish rugby team has ever made, nevermind the context of coming directly on the heels of a World Cup disappointment, essentially at the scene of the crime.

This was as big a statement as the Irish rugby team has ever made

Winning their first 6 nations wasn't bigger? A grand slam wasn't bigger? Beating NZ for the first time wasn't bigger? Beating NZ in NZ wasn't bigger?

Beating a 14 man France is just that, beating a 14 man France.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭joinme

Random question - does anyone on here subscribe to the world service through the app Castbox? and if so, have you had issues with the latest episodes updating? this is an ongoing problem, even though I know todays football pod was released just after 2pm the episode still hasn't appeared in my feed. There doesn't appear to be a straight forward way to refresh the app or the feed. I just have to wait an unknown amount of time for the episode to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭jones

I use pocketcasts and it's usually up within about an hour of the episode being released or at least the email being sent. Although it has taken longer at random times it's usually quicker than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭joinme

Thanks. It took 7 hours to update on Castbox today ...not usually that long but routinely 3-4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Murph was 100% correct about basketball and Israel today. Can’t play a nation that is conducting a genocide and mixing it in with their sports teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

There could be atrocities being committed there by both sides for another 80 years; there is absolutely no end to that conflict in sight as one side is unable to accept they have being losing for 80 years. so if we are going to set a precedence that we will not play Israel whenever Israel do this then we’ll be boycotting and suffering the consequences for many many years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yeah... But the basketball team were posing with the army and lots of guns? It is a bit different from say Russian athletes who are playing under no nationality or no flag. I saw Medvedev last week in the Australian open didn't have a nation associated with him on any of the graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Dante

When the team you are about to play are posing pre-game with the soldiers actively commiting these atrocities then I think all bets are off.

Absolutely scummy behaviour from the Israel team but wouldn't expect anything less.

Post edited by Dante on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

It’s a full on genocide committed by the state. If that’s not grounds for a boycott then what is ? Those photos that were published shows that there is no separation from their sports team and their military destruction of Gaza and its people. It will be a shameful episode if the game goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 StuttgartKY

Out of interest do many on here do the book club?

I always mean to do it but never end up doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭deisedude

The CEO of Basketball Ireland spoke really well about the situation they have been put in on Game On. They would face a €150k fine and 5 years out of international competition if they boycotted the game and he said he wasn't going to kill the sport in this country when the gesture of boycotting will not achieve anything

FIBA and all other sporting organisations are at fault, not the poor countries who get drawn against Israel.

Personally I feel Israel should be made a pariah economically and culturally like Russia but that's clearly not going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

The Immaculate Conception...who knew!?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

The politics podcast sounds like a pretty grim listen - not classic Friday fare. Think I’ll give it a miss unless it comes recommended

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ken is on the Arseblog Arsecast today if anyone wants a more cheerful alternative to the politics pod and don't mind listening to an Arsenal podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Except Ken got it wrong, it wasn't the conception of Jesus...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I'd rather listen to grim politics than optimistic Arsenal fans 🤣

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Murph is off is rocker on Derry. They’re going to do well to even get back to an AISF and it’s very clear Mickey is doing the thing he always did in the league with Tyrone and going extremely hard early. Derry to me are a team that have already peaked making the last two semi-finals when you look at the age profile of key players alone.

Invariably every other major team catches up to Mickey come the championship and, like Tyrone in the past, Derry’s lack of athleticism in key positions will be exposed on faster and drier pitches come the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,643 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think that's the point... yesterday's pod (which op is presumably referring to given they posted late yesterday) explained it. I hadn't realised it was Mary's birth myself either.

Yeah I haven't listened to yesterday's yet

Ok I might come across a bit 'right wing' but the political podcast annoyed me. Asylum is completely open to abuse and trying to portray the chap who lived in Sweden for "a number of years" and arrived here after been granted refugee status in Sweden (another EU member state) and applied here again as an asylum seeker is kinda nuts. He should have been deemed inadmissible to the Irish process at first instance but wasn't.

There are a lot of issues with international protection and I don't for one minute condone what was going on with the burning out of tents etc but let's not pretend the system is not being abused for economic reasons as well as genuine first time applicants.

Haven't listened to it yet jones, but can't argue with that, supposedly within the last few days we have announced a clampdown on that sort of double-dipping thing. Why'd it take so long for obvious abuses to be dealt with? It gives the genuine cases a harder time for things which aren't their fault.

He would have been extradited back as per the agreement when Sweden joined NATO. He had to leave. That’s not abusing the system at all, he no longer had asylum!

That’s what your man said. Is that true though? Coz it sounds highly highly dubious to me. I just can’t see a country of Sweden’s human rights record just sending valid asylum seekers back to the country they are being persecuted by. There must be more to that story.

Nothing about the EU asylum convention has anything to do with NATO.

The Dunphy audio bed on the 1-1 draw with England is a thing of beauty

Sorry but your wrong. Under the international protection act 2015 if you have been granted asylum in another EU Member State then you are inadmissible to the Irish process as per section 21 of the act.

I'm not sure why your quoting NATO in this as it has nothing to do with international protection in an EU sense.

But it's ok 'Sammy' was doing a rubex cube and is well read about Irish nationalism when the guest speaker met him. I'm sorry I'm all for balance but come on.

• Advertisement

But the guest on today’s show did spin that story of why the Kurd was in Ireland did he not?

something smells about the version of the story given on the pod

Advertisement