Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

how about a voting system like this, everyone gets to vote but must take a short test before hand to see how much they know about it. all votes will be counted regardless but the more a person knows about politics = the more their vote counts for. like theirs count as 3 or 2 points instead of 1. or they get 2 votes so they can vote twice or something.

as controversial as that might sound. is this fair and balanced?

low key i would sell my votes for ez monies

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Could you explain that a bit? Sex and driving are very strange proxies for qualification to vote. I get work as you're a stakeholder in paying tax, but that's not the only consideration.

Why would sex and driving qualify someone to vote when you also say it doesn't matter how informed they are? If being informed on what they're voting for doesn't matter,then why disqualify anyone from voting?

There's nothing realistically stopping from selling your vote now.

It would be interesting if they introduced that test and pushed teaching about the system in schools. Young people could end up outvoting old people.

I think if it's OK to disenfranchise based on age then we should discuss the upper age limit on voting. Maybe the vote should be stripped at retirement since they're not working age anymore.

Or maybe if its not OK to stop old people voting, its not OK to stop young people voting either.

alot of people sell their vote for a badge or a pencil, or a free lift down to the voting hall lol.

i'd be open to selling mine to the highest bidder if there's anyone genuine tangible cash offers. if not, then maybe i may vote for wheover i suspect of having the least amount of votes, or vote for no one. i'm really not sure. i guess it depends on policy, if one has a policy i like i'll vote for them.

some people vote on a variety of weird irellevent or creepy things, some of what i seen people talking about deciding on what to cast their vote on, includles: whoever has the nicest smile, whoever appears in the papers more, whoever is most populor, whoever they see spammed on the signs in their local area, whoever is a different gender or race, whoever looks sexiest, whoever their family or friends is voting for, whoever has the most attractive body.

i think to myself "wtf". Probebly has to be one of the most controversial methods of voting i've ever seen.

one of my favorites however has to be people making it a (controvercial) point to intentionally refuse to vote for certain parties due to their involvement and how they reacted in the past to historical irish events, and how they treated their own people.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

it matters because of how quick one can get into a car and drive away after being caught having sex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Age appropriate clothing is entirely based on wealth in most circumstances. If you are 30 and have 4018 euro in your account you seem a hell of a lot weirder wearing red converse, skinny jeans, and a floral waistcoat than if you are wearing a John Mayer Daytona in the same outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Cordell

Sure: at 16 a person is considered mature enough to make those decisions, so they should also be considered mature enough to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Cordell

There's nothing special about Rolex watches, their value is kept up artificially by limiting supply, they could be mass produced in much larger quantities otherwise. And their claim to be a Swiss watchmaker is at least questionable.

I suppose I'm asking for the rationale. If it's not about understanding the voting system or how our parliament works, then why would age, driving or sex be a good measure?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's widely accepted that the books and films became more adulty as they went on. It did have some teen drama in the last few films which wasn't great but the owl good v evil remained the main focus

• Advertisement

i feel alot of the teen drama was unnecessary and very much got in the way of the films, and only really served to exist for purposes of character development more than anything. it was'nt even good drama either. i believe the life and death parts are more important or should be more important rather than the bickering being taken seriously and teen drama. at moments it felt like they were trying to cash in on things like twlight, or HD graphics and scenery over the plot, and in terms of directors the franchise is like a hot potatoe, theres like3-5 directors, i lost count. maybe more. their different styles of filming could also play into that, or be a part of the complaint.

i love the 5ft and 6th movies, and then the earlier movies, but i admit too much teen drama and not enough (insrt word for follow up or follow through, cant remember the word right now) "continuity" i think. One moment everyone is wearing all black robes and pointy hats and writing with ink feather quirrals, a movie or 2 later, they're running around the castle in modern day clothes and have pencils and schoolbags, and hoodies. And this is meant to be based in the 90s? just because the books came out then or something? i refuse to believe the movies are based in the 90s, not with all their modern day stuff and things, and millenium bridge, and nimbus 2000

it would be a good measure because if a person is old enough to **** someone else without **** up their life, then they should also be old enough to not **** up the country with their voting. i believe it all comes down to responsibility.

I do tbthibk it dies come down to responsibility. If it were about responsibility, then we wouldn't let irresponsible people vote, but we do. We can even take away someone's power of attorney because they have dementia and can't be responsible, and still we don't take away their vote.

I don't think it can be about responsibility.

what do you propose should be the minimum ages for voting should be? in your opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, yeah - the whole point was a teenager growing up. You can't really expect childlike wonder when the main characters have reached 16/17 years old !

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Bang on, still carry a heavy price tag though which was where I was going with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Tourists and those interested in having an outdoors holiday involving outdoor activities such as cycling and walking should avoid Ireland and instead go to Scotland. That's if they are looking for a similar type of environment or go to France, especially if they are interested in cycling, Ireland is terrible when it comes to outdoor activities. We have no right to roam, so the vast majority of the time you are constrained to remaining on roads or a handful of greenways

There is also the issue of the prices of food and accommodation which are a rip-off in comparison to our nearest neighbours.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

First things first, do you still think it's about responsibility? Given we don't actually remove the vote from people who can't take responsibility?

I don't propose a minimum age because i haven't heard a reason that we can apply consistently across the board. I think if you support a reason for disenfranchising a whole group of people, then you need to apply it consistently.

I think there should be a consistent rationale if there are to be age limits on voting. If you support age restrictions on voting, what should be the maximum age limit to vote?

it was the same at 13 and 14 years old for him though. being forced to partake in a dangerous tournament while underage, just because of tradition or some bizzare wizarding law. and having to deal with grim reaper like things the film before. While at the same time juggling between people calling him names and wondering who to take to the dance anxiety crap.

"Growing up" and teen drama was forced on him, not because of the plot, but because of too long being left (timewise) between the movies, and then directors constantly changing, and trying to make up for the gang and draco being much taller because of the amount of time and puberty changed the height of the kids. in other words intentionally making them less kid like because they look taller. He's still only 13 movie wise at that point, but being played by like a 17 year old actor

its about illusion of choice. but if anything else, it should be more about if the person actually cares about voting rather than just voting to shut everyone up and make them happy.

There should be some sort of minimum wage, why should a group of kindergardens votes outweigh a serious persons votes? they're (the kids) not even a serious vote, and most of the time the parents put them up to things anyway. so maybe they should only count as half of a vote?

somethings should be earned by coming of age, not given to people straight away. Should voting ability be one of these things?

The maximum age on voting should be as long as humanly possible, or atleast not an age limit but rather an "understanding who you are voting for" limit, and not just tapping the closes button/voting/ticking based on the fastest easiest answer to be done with it. Voting shuldnt be done with ones eyes closed, unless one is of course blind. There's no excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

Paedophilia is just another sexual preference. Its like being gay, bi-sexual, or asexual. I do not condone paedophilia under any circumstance.

Not sure what the illusion of choice has to do with what you said about the ability to vote being tied to taking responsibility. Doesn't matter.

Recapping your post, young people shouldn't have a vote because they might not understand who they are voting for. But old people should have a vote whether they understand who they're voting for or not.

Should people over 18 be cut off from voting if they don't understand the system? I suppose were back to having a test. I'm torn on a test. I think it would be much better if voters understood the system, but I can't agree with restrictions on voting.

In turn, I don't agree with restrictions on voting based on age. I don't actually think old people should be cut off from voting no matter how doddery, or out of touch, or likely they are to vote for things I disagree with. And I think the same should go for everyone of any age.

If its so obvious, why hasn't anyone given a reason why young people can't vote, that when it's applied evenly to everyone, wouldn't also exclude loads of other groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Which movie? Harry is 11 in the first one, each book covers one school year, so he'd be 17 for the final one. He's be 14/15 for the Goblet of Fire. Growing up is kinda forced on all of us, which is the parallel story to all the wizarding stuff, but I get your point. Radcliffe was about 15/16 when they made it, but most actors who portray teenagers are in their early 20s.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

If its so obvious, why hasn't anyone given a reason why young people can't vote, that when it's applied evenly to everyone, wouldn't also exclude loads of other groups.

Young people can't vote because that's the law at the moment. We're stuck with that for the moment. Since the current age is 18 so the onus should be on you to convince us why 16, for example, would be better. And whatever the reasons are for 16 years getting the vote, why would that not apply to 15 year olds too?

But I know you said that you don't think age should be the reason for voting restrictions, so what should be? There's no point in criticising the current system without offering an alternative.

13 prisoner of azkaban, 14 goblet of fire. Yes growing is somewhat forced on everyone, but i mean not because of age in terms of the move but felt more force due to time restraints and the actors getting older, they probebly didnt want what looked like a 17-18 year old teens having the dialog and voice of a 13 year old, so its like they artifically grew the fictional character too, to make up for this.

There's a 2 year gap irl between the making of harry potter secret chamber (2002) when compared to the next film harry potter azkabans prisoners (2004). and then again this happens between harry potters firey goblets (2005) and harry potters phoenix order (2007) movie. And then again a 3rd time between phoenix order (2007) and 50% blood-prince (2009).

By this its clear we lost anywhere between 3-6 years harry, and also that he only ever gets to "be a kid" in the first 2 movies, we don't get to see him being a 13 year old. it's like they've intentionally skipped right past this phase of his life in terms of dialog, to make him "act his age..irl age" more (no pun intended). Basically we get cheated out of him being a kid, for the sake of actors growing older and to keep up with the appearence of this growth.

sometimes feels like the series is a game of hot-potatoe between all the different directors, and even the scenery and locations often change because of this. Stuff like the location of hagrids hut or differences in pivot drive's shape

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

Computer games, especially story based games, have become better than movies for entertainment.

Much better story-telling, more immersive worlds, more ability to switch off and just have fun.

i'm not saying to cut old people out from voting, they've lived long enough so its their right to be able to vote. Voting ability should not be taken away from someone on the basis of their age reaching a cut off point.

the solution has already been put forward as best possible answer being allow people to vote but remove the parties names and have their policies there for people to choose from/vote for, instead of party names. That way by reading the policiy they can understand a bit more what it is they are voting for and eliminates a good chunk of bias voting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

The recent announcement by DCC to limit private cars from August in Dublin are welcome and will contribute positively to the city

Yeah, I don't think we should restrict voting based on age. I think we should only restrict voting (if we should restrict it at all) based on reasons that are consistent across the board.

If you think a dementia sufferer should have vote, then why do you think a 10 year old shouldn't have a vote? Serious question.

If we restrict voting on the grounds of lack of understanding of the systems, then do it across the board.

I've said what I think we should do. Either restrict voting based on consistent metrics, or don't restrict it at all. I also mentioned some other reasons to remove the vote such as not understanding the system and think thst should either apply across the board or not at all

If its so obvious why no young people should have a vote, why is it so difficult to explain why, using a reason that can be applied across the board?

Does that answer your question?

• Advertisement

Hold on, you've stated the position but I'm asking fir the rationale for the position. 'They've lived long enough' is just restating that you have to be 18 to vote. I'm asking why it's a good idea to have that age restriction.

To get fair, I've asked you loads of times for the rationale and you're back to restating the position. Doesn't that give pause for thought that maybe there isn't a great reason for it? If there was a great reason, I presume you'd have given it at the first time of asking.

Advertisement