Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Quiet Place: Day One

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

Now that looks like my kind of movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh wow they're really gonna try and grind this idea into the dirt, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Ya I wasn't entirely sold on the second one one if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Of course ( for those who maybe unaware ) - This is a prequel to the 2018 A QUIET PLACE starring Emily Blunt, John Krasinski

And then A QUIET PLACE 2 from 2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

looking at that first trailer gave me an Aphex Twin vibe with his Elephant Song with the looped scream.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭noahungry

I had no idea about this. The trailer doesn't look bad, hope they won't ruin it. The first movie was great. The second, as it usually happens, not as good, but okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

How could anyone be unaware of that given both films are featured in the trailer??? And y'know, the name being a bit of a dead giveaway too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,696 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Seen this Trailer yesterday in the cinema. Looks good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I saw a bus ad for this and thought "interesting", its out soon, then I watched the trailer and went to "not sure" going by the later movies the humans obviously lose the first round and the whole society breaks down/cities destroyed has been done a million times, you can kind of play out in your mind without seeing it Im sure it will do well but it all looks a bit samey

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Would the US army not be able to defeat these aliens?? All the aliens seem to do is jump around and squish people. Plus they are blind as bats. They don’t seem to have any weapons and only have their natural killing abilities. Also I am not sure if they have much of a brain, which is strange as aliens do normally have big head and brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a soft reboot with Gerard Butler and I'd be curious

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The US army couldn't even defeat the Taliban or in Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,952 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Couple of actual reviews coming in now generally positive!

Heading to see it Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, have seen a couple of outlets calling it the best in the series!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭El Duda

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is quite a bit better than it has any right to be. It's not great or anything, but it's a lot better than a studio-mandated franchise prequel has any right to be.

Michael Sarnoski was an intriguing choice for the film, and you can actually see a fair bit of the work he did on Pig here. It's not anywhere near as good as that film, but unlike most films of this ilk it has a proper script with pathos and emotion. Indeed, it's almost better seen as a character study that takes place during a horror film than a horror film in and of itself. That's not to say there isn't good set piece sequences and tension, but the focus is very much on the characters as the catastrophe unfolds - unlike the other two films which are much more focused on the survival aspect. It's not particularly surprising or radical, but it's very well executed within its story constraints.

Having a character we know is dying from the first scene is a surprisingly impactful way to change the stakes of this kind of film in an intriguing way. It always helps when you have an actress as talented Lupita Nyong'o on board, of course.

Also: things would've been a lot easier had they not insisted on dragging around that adorable yet suicidal cat :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,952 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I saw it today I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, some good set pieces but a lot of character work. Probably the weakest of the three films but that is a high bar for me.

lupita nyong'o was terrific.

I found her whole arc pretty heartbreaking, I did shed a little tear towards the end.

Joseph Quinn was also solid, he is a really good actor too hopefully see him in more things. Good chemistry.

Frodo the cat was a scene stealer.

At points I thought the cat wasnt real...he just kept popping up, on their dangerous journey (goes with the name i guess). He was an adorable little git though to be fair lol.

I would give it a very solid 7.5 out of 10.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I saw this at the weekend and it's a weird beast. We all know it's a prequel, and a studio-mandated one at that. And yet, as johnny_ultimate says, it's got performances and characters with much more nuance and depth than a film like this has any business enjoying.

A frustrating thing for me, then, was that after the initial landing/attack scene, the set pieces were kinda meh. And, for something that's using a set of rules established already in previous films, there's some frankly silly rubber-banding of what counts as "enough noise to draw attention", particularly when the film opens with a quote about the average noise level in NYC. Like, tearing fabric from a shirt is loud enough but not the sound of running footsteps, that sort of thing. If you draw attention to it, you'd best make sure you are internally consistent in how you do it.

And look, I knew what film I was going to see. This isn't me trying to be clever or above actually enjoying a film like this - quite the reverse! The performances from the core cast and writing were such a cut above what you all too often get in a film like this that the contrast to the set-piece bits was that bit more obvious, and thus more frustrating.

Having said that, there is one thing that absolutely should have gotten whoever wrote it a clip around the ear and an instruction to try a bit harder:

the letter from Sam to Eric was a nice touch, but "Thank you for teaching me how to live again"? Geddafugouttahere. And made worse by following that with a closing scene where Sam - a terminal cancer patient who has spent much of the last 24-36 hours with no pain medication, and who now has a box of Fentanyl dermal tabs handy - walks down the street listening to music and then decides that she's going to commit Suicide By Alien Dismemberment, rather than e.g. a blissful overdose. And to make it worse, this is paired with a needle drop of Nina Simone's Feelin' Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just saw it. As a cat lover who's never owned one it felt like he was the star of the show.

One thing I don't get about these aliens is that their only sense on planet earth is hearing but they can't hear a geezer millimeters from them breathing. Their creator effed up there. I liked all 3 leads including the feline.

Overall not great not terrible but worst of the 3.

Also what was up with them eating those egg mushroom things?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭gossamerfabric

Proper script, well executed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Frodo was the breakout character for me. I spent the whole film worried about him.

It's a solid film. I feel like I should have enjoyed it more than I did. All the right ingredients are there.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this during the week and I thought it was the weakest of the three, so far. I found myself nodding off at times, the characters were just not as engaging as in the two previous films. Lupita Nyoungo is great(as she is in everything) but even she cant stop this from something of a snoozefest. And the guy she teams up with just seems like a pathetic character, which I dont know if this was intentional, to make the woman the strong one and the man the wuss. All in all its ok, but not a patch on the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

saw this earlier. Very, very good. A little different to the previous two as there was far less scares and tension. Great performances.

Unfortunately I missed a little piece of it - what happened when Eric left Samira at the church to search for medication?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I went and seen this today. Really enjoyed it even do the concet of aliens only going for noise is stupid when they are smart enough to cross whole Galaxy's in Space.

Still excellent acting and not much speaking in it but there is some mostly whispers do.

I would give it 8 out of 10.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

He finds a chemist and finds the drugs after a while, then we get a fake jump scare where Frodo turns up out of nowhere. Then as they are walking back to the flat Frodo ducks off into a weird building site area with a broken and flaming gas main, and does the Typical Little Bollix Cat thing of perching himself in a high place while aliens are pacing around, so Eric has to stealthily get close enough to grab Frodo without being heard.

Advertisement