Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Actually Reuters have an article about an investigation being opened up in Israel regarding Israeli civilian deaths on Oct 7th due to friendly fire

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israeli-military-opens-probe-into-reports-oct-7-friendly-fire-deaths-2024-02-06/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Netanyahu and the war cabinet do not care one jot about the hostages or civilians in Gaza. Never did, except for the five day pause.

Seems the rhetoric from Senior Ministers and Ben-Gvir/Smotrich wasn't rhetoric. It was the truth.

I'd imagine the hostage families and many Israelis are gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Netanyahu has to be the worst pm in Israel in history. Propping up hamas in order to ensure there would be no peace talks so he can expand settlements in West Bank, backfiring woth 7 oct and now making allies potential enemies.

I feel sorry for the hostages families, it seems even if hamas are bothered to negotiate, Netanyahu is not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭nachouser

"There is no other solution but a complete and final victory," Mr Netanyahu told a press conference on Wednesday.

Note the use of final and solution. He's up there with Sunak this week.

"We are on the way to complete victory - the IDF is on the way to achieving all the goals we set: subduing Hamas, freeing all the abductees and removing the security threat from Gaza." he said.

Fukcin' A!

• Genocide
    • 2000lb dumb bombs
    • White phosphorous
    • 90 children killed daily - every single day since 7th October
    • Sniping nuns, civilians carrying white flags and sheep
    • Refusing water, food, fuel and medical aid
    • Looting, stealing and rifling through knicker drawers
    • Leaving infants to decompose in an ICU unit
    • Bulldozing cemeteries
    • Bombing ambulances
    • Razing universities, schools and places of worship
    • Destroying hospitals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,670 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are presenting vetting as being some sort of catch-all, as if Israel deserved October 7th because it didn't vet the UNRWA workers sufficiently. I am pointing out other examples of where this was true. There would be plenty of people screaming "police state" if intelligence services kept out or locked up everyone they deemed a hazard.

What you forget is that Israel, unlike the regime of Hamas or the other hostile states surrounding it, is a liberal democracy with freedoms so can't just be locking up everyone. In fact, there have been a lot of posters complaining about the ones that they have locked up. You can't have it every which way when it comes to Israel, though you try your best.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There should be a coup against Nethanyu. He is becoming a danger to regional stability. We even had Joe allegedly calling him a bad guy. It wouldn't surprise me if the Americans might be encouraging a move against him by Gantz or someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Ridiculous post.

Are you of the opinion that we should all take whatever a government states as gospel? That we should not question where there maybe doubts? It was merely pointed out that Channel Four has seen the dossier and I quote that “no evidence” was found to implicate UNWRA employees. You might retort why were they fired then. Well it was stated that it was done to try protect the organisation and funding but was without due process. That coupled with the fact that Israel are indeed part of vetting process opens up questions. How did they pass initially, what is the vetting process etc. I’m not saying it might not be true. I stated that funding should not have been pulled until determined. Innocent until proven guilty eh?

Also, in case you forgotten Israel have plenty locked up. Without charge. Without due process. Is that the actions of a democracy? Or are Palestinian rights less than Israeli? When I pointed this out, @Danzy stated they were prisoners of war. Do you agree with him? If you do, I’d like to point out that numerous Palestinians have been locked up prior to Oct 7th, and if they are prisoners of war, would Hamas have every right to categorise the hostages the same? See what I did there…

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Can't be locking up everyone? The Israel that has been locking up people for no reason for decades. Pull the other one.

You deliberately missed where I said vetting isn't perfect just so you could bring in whataboutery on a whole new scale, comparing apples to oranges. Comparing tourist visas to what Israels intelligence service looks for

• Registered Users Posts: 25,518 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"a liberal democracy with freedoms so can't just be locking up everyone"

"or locked up everyone they deemed a hazard"

They snatch kids off the street and it can take famines days and even weeks to find out where their child is.

These kids are held for months without access to legal representatives usually only getting legal representation a couple of days before their "trial".

They are bought before a military court and "evidence" is presented against them, their legal rep is not allowed cross examine any "witness" because the military courts have deemed any "evidence" to be top secret.

• Advertisement

Pure scum

"dozens of Israelis lied claiming that they attended the Nova music festival on October 7 to earn dozens of thousands of Shekels as compensation. "

• Registered Users Posts: 54,151 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Question what is the support like in the USA for this Israelis war at the moment?

The USA administration must be extremely tired/frustrated at Nethanyu as Blinken is just wasting his time at this point. I don't understand why they wish to continue funding this war when Israel is not listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

No disrespect to your friends, but the Iranian regime is most certainly completely abhorrent. I doubt anyone would dream of defending it.

A bloodthirsty medieval theocracy that uses modern technologies to crush and kill its opponents. Such as women who go in the street with their hair uncovered for example.

Please don't conflate comments about Iran, the hideous regime, with Iranians, the people who live there and suffer under that regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

All depends who wins on the first Tuesday in November...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭volchitsa

If that happened, you wouldn't, I'm sure, be shouting about Israel not being a democracy or anything.

What you forget is that Israel, unlike the regime of Hamas or the other hostile states surrounding it, is a liberal democracy with freedoms so can't just be locking up everyone.

Correct. Their freedoms are clear.

As an Israeli, you can take whatever you like in the Occupied West Bank - take land, homes, steal animals, steal livelihoods, murder Palestinians. And don't worry, the IDF will turn a blind eye.

Now, if you're a Palestinian, throw stones or post something on Tik Tok we don't like, it's 12 months for you. What? You're only 14? What's your point? Still alive aren't you?

Oh yes, Israel are very much "a liberal democracy with freedoms" - for the right people...

Good point - the sentiment is equally applicable to Israel.

A bloodthirsty genocidal State that uses modern technologies to crush and kill civilians. Such as 260 Palestinian babies of less than 1 year old.

Israel - an abhorrent Government, not to be confused with Israelis who live there and suffer under that regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,730 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A shining democracy indeed. '' Only democracy in the region''.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,730 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Advertisement

Irish women's basketball team is "quite anti-Semitic"...

Haaretz:

• U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken, currently visiting Israel, reportedly expressed concern to PM Netanyahu and Defense Minister Yoav Gallant about Israel's potential expansion of military operations to the south Gazan city of Rafah, to which many Gazans fled during Israel's bombardment of the north.
    • In an official statement, Saudi Arabia said there will be no diplomatic relations with Israel unless an independent Palestinian state is recognized on the 1967 borders with East Jerusalem as its capital, Israeli "aggression" in the Gaza Strip stops and all Israeli forces leave Gaza.
    • The Hamas-controlled Gaza Health Ministry said at least 27,708 Palestinians have been killed and 67,147 wounded since the war began.

"It is only the struggle for the release of the hostages that forces Benjamin Netanyahu to deal with difficult questions on the home front and exposes his utter lack of vision" – Jacky Khoury

RTE:

Basketball Ireland has called accusations of anti-semitism by an Israeli player against the Irish women's team "inflammatory and wholly inaccurate", saying it had reported the comments to governing body FIBA Europe.

Israel head coach Sharon Drucker said that the Irish "did not respect" what sport symbolises after he and his players had posed for pictures with armed Israeli soldiers at the weekend, while in an interview published on the Israeli Basketball Federation’s website yesterday, player Dor Sa'ar said of the Irish that "It's known that they are quite anti-Semitic and it's no secret, and maybe that's why a strong game is expected.

"Basketball Ireland is aware of comments made by a member of the Israeli team and published on official Israeli Federation channels, ahead of this week’s FIBA Women’s EuroBasket 2025 Qualifier," the statement said.

"Basketball Ireland is extremely disappointed by these accusations, which are both inflammatory and wholly inaccurate.

"Basketball Ireland would refute these allegations towards our players in the strongest possible terms and we have raised this matter with FIBA Europe."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You are right to be sure, I wouldn't. It happens sometimes in politics that politicians move against each other. It happened in this country at times during the past . There are plenty of other valid reasons to shout about concerning the current Israeli government.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

My point was about other security services confirming what Israel uncovered about UNRWA being co-opted by Hamas.

Also, this is not a new thing, so there shouldnt be a surpirsed. There is no conspiracy here.

I presented my findings and evidence on the matter earlier.

The professor from Queens may have an opinion on the matter, but it is still an opinion.

At the end of the day, the UN ratified resolution 181(II) thus it then became international law.

All the crying and moaning about how it became law is thus redundant, as Israel is still a sovereign state and recognised under international law as such.

With all that being said, once an Arab coalition of nations invaded Israel in May 1948, they broke international law and thus should be criticised as such, much like Russia today is criticised for invading Ukraine.

Do you even accept that the invasion in 1948 by Arab nations broke international law? Or were they right to invade?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭scottser

Cons:

Permanent Israeli subjugation and expulsion of Palestinian people and the end of any prospects of a Palestinian state.

You just don't get it. Hamas is fighting an existential war for the survival of their homeland and identity. On the other hand, the world is repulsed by the Israeli lie of massacre of civilians in the name of self-defence. Its extremely naive to think that Hamas will simply surrender; they know that the longer they hold out, the more the world will force a two state solution on Israel. It will be telling to see whether Biden will force Netanyahu to stop this madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭scottser

And yet here you are, constantly cheerleading the most right wing, nationalist Israeli government in living memory.

*Slow clap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

Questions sources and then posts a self promotional tweet that isn't clearly self promotional, from a pro-Israel NGO that is masquerading as some official UN body.

I've many Iranian friends, most from my time in Canada. Made up of Persian and Kurds along with a handful from a Zoroastrian background and they are beautiful, wonderful people. The government, however, is brutal and cannot be compared with Ireland. This was the general consensus amongst the Iranian communities I encountered, very few were pro government.

UNWatch is..

..an accredited NGO in Special Consultative Status to the UN Economic and Social Council and an Associate NGO to the UN Department of Public Information.[5]

It is not masquerading as anything.

• Advertisement

Consulting and associate are not official bodies.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2007/apr/04/itwasamakemydayevent

UN Watch is one of many NGOs who spend their time trying to undermine the UN to the benefit of governments or other agencies.

Advertisement