Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Methane Cycle ignored

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

They may laugh, but you'd be right in what you are saying.

If cattle numbers remain the same, then methane levels remain the same. Even though the cattle are belching it out 365 days a year. So how are they "creating" methane if the amount doesn't change?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

So how are they "creating" methane if the amount doesn't change?

i'm kinda stumped that you're asking that. it's scientific fact that they're creating methane. you seem to be conflating 'not creating a net increase' with 'not creating'. and the difference is moot if they're the source of the original amount anyway.

anyway, it's the same way i'm creating the gas in my hypothetical situation. there's simply no argument against the 'fact' that i'm the one creating the gas there.

Stumped? Right. If methane amounts aren't changing because cattle amounts aren't changing, how are they creating methane if methane amounts remain static?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

OK, here's a more apt analogy. it's the morning after i've had a feed of beers and a curry, and my farts are demonic. but farts eventually dissipate.

however, i've been sitting in a room for several hours, and you come in and ask 'wtf is that smell?' and i respond 'don't look at me, it's smelt like this for the last hour or two'.

that's your 'cattle don't create methane' argument there. that's the best i can do, i can't think of any other way to explain a simple concept to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

The human population has increased well over 100% in the same time frame. Unlike cattle numbers which have plateaued 15 years ago, the human population is projected to grow another 25% in the next 50 years. Which country do we cull first? Ah wait humans buy stuff needed for endless 'economic growth'.

So Ireland culls the national herd, which is in slow decline anyway. Naturally more rain-forest makes way and void is filled in the usual capitalist way. What a great green you are!

Its so ironic that green policies are the ones harming the world, it must be a truth too difficult to realise for you spacers. The oil industry have ye attacking the wrong industry like the useful idiots you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

My posts were always about Ireland. This is an Irish farming forum.

I dunno. I don't get what your saying, despite being previously in research groups into methane and animal agriculture in the EU and further afield. I'll be sure to pass on your info to those still there.

The fart one I don't get. I'm not sure on the science behind the farts but it's usually caused by the breakdown of the food, which would have captured carbon to be grown for you to consume, and I assume the farts will convert back to gases and be used to grow more food in future. Just because it's smelly doesn't mean there's more there. It just means it's smelly! This point is moot though if what you ate is some ultra processed factory made in a vat of some sort, using a lot of energy in the process. In that case, most likely you are adding to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I would agree that the whole methane from cattle thing is being overplayed here and in the rest of the EU. What is of more concern is Ammonia emmissions from large intensive livestock units which is a proven hazard to air quality, human lung health and certain habitats like peatlands, Temperate Rainforests etc. Getting on top of that would only really affect the largest and most intensive operators and would deliver far more in terms of pollution that needs to be cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Burning creates methane. Those timber blocks that you buy that make the claim of being carbon neutral because they took that carbon from the atmosphere create methane when burned.

Petrol, diesel, aviation fuel, heating oil create methane when burned as well as the obvious carbon dioxide that was locked up underground.

Creating new bog and wetland creates methane.

Those three have backers though and those that will fight tooth and nail in their defence because it doesn't involve killing and eating an animal or using their products.

But get a ruminant farmed (Wild get a pass because they're not farmed by farmers who own land) and it's damnation that it eats a plant that took down carbon that converted it to protein rich milk and meat for humans. Whilst that plant most likely was perennial and was very favourable to soil carbon accumulation than if that same land required an annual crop to be bought from merchants and diesel and machinery to till that land releasing soil carbon whilst doing so.

Secondary producer financial logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭monseiur

Consider the following - China, India, Bangladesh and many more in that neck of the woods built / brought into service, on average, an extra new coal burning power station every week over the last 3 years burning millions of tons of coal per year and they are still building as demand for electricity outstrips supply.

And here we are in a tiny green, rain washed, windswept rocky outcrop in the north Atlantic squabbling over a few cow farts. Some are so deluded and brainwashed by the loony greens and other anti farmer propaganda that they are convinced that farmers and their activities are the root of all the planets woes and by putting them out of business all will well in the world. It's about time some one in authority shout STOP STOP STOP this nonsense before it's too late and the young generation turn their back on the land.

The truth is that the products produced by farmers here be it dairy, meat, grain, vegetables etc. is almost organic, and the whole production process is very environmentally friendly when compared to the rest of the EU and indeed the world.

As the world's population increases so does the demand for food so farmers here should be encouraged and supported to produce more to supply this ever increasing food market. If Ireland fail to ''corner the market'' countries like Brazil, Argentina etc. are waiting and ready to up their production to fill the void and in the process slash & burn more and more of the Amazon rain forest......the lungs of our planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭amacca

Just a question, what we're the numbers of ruminant animals globally before plastic etc

Say buffalo etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Excellent post as always Say My Name, if Methane was such an issue why are the same people pushing for rewetting large areas of peat lands that will realese vast amounts of Methane for up too 70 years before it stops and starts to sequester and store CO2.

These same vegans who only eat plant based foods cannot get to grip with soil carbon values from constant planting and spraying of crops as opposed to perennial grass, and the drastic impact of low Soil Carbon content soils on leaching and water quality.

I think he's gone lads. For now. 👀

He'll be back.

And he'll bring his friends.

Each more stupid and deluded than the last.

It's not over.

Mod: Argue the point, not the poster, please.

Post edited by greysides on

Hopefully. These conversations need to be had. They can be painful, frustrating and repetitive. But it must be done. The other side of this conversation will feel the same

Yeah fair enough. I always get the feeling some of these are NGO guys just pushing an agenda and they are being paid to twist,manipulate and grind down the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think there were more ruminants (buffalo) in the US 400 years ago than there are cattle today. It's the intensive method of farming that may be the issue. The best use of land from a biodiversity and carbon viewpoint is grazed animals. In that, the methane part is on the negative side of the scale, but that is outbalanced by the carbon sequestration on the other.

If we can apply science to reducing the methane escaping from cattle, then the balance tilts further in a positive way.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭WhichWay

I really appreciate Magicbastard's contribution because he is preaching exactly the false message our EPA is preaching. Our IFA, teagasc, government, SEAI, and most others just accept this misinformation.

If we cannot convince Magicbastard to rethink then I feel we have a serious problem.

Say I reduced my herd by 1 cow, and did nothing else different then 4 tonne of grass would rot on the ground each year. An identical amount of carbon would be emitted to the atmosphere from the bacteria on the ground.

The EPA don't measure that bacteria, therefor it doesn't exist on their excel sheet.

Similarly that sea weed that washes up on the shore, that tree that died, that leaf which fell to the ground in October. All emit GHGs. None measured.

Just cows.

not even close. highest estimate i have seen is 60 million before the slaughter started. well below 10% of today's figures for cattle. if you can find a different estimate, it'd be worth sharing.

https://www.flatcreekinn.com/bison-americas-mammal/

FWIW they're bison. not buffalo.

• Advertisement

Say I reduced my herd by 1 cow, and did nothing else different then 4 tonne of grass would rot on the ground each year. An identical amount of carbon would be emitted to the atmosphere from the bacteria on the ground.

you don't seem to appreciate the difference between a carbon molecule being 'released' as CO2 vs it being 'released' as CH4. as mentioned previously, in the context of greenhouse warming, the difference is a factor of over 100.

Cheers, I appreciate the sentiment.

But when countering the supposed counter arguments here is so trivial (why make a claim about there having been more than a billion bison in the states when fact checking that is trivial? Why claim that a leaf decaying is the same as or equivalent to anaerobic digestion in a ruminant?) It really comes across that the arguments I'm trying to counter are poorly constructed or misunderstood.

When the powers that be allow things like age limits which only further intensifies farming I often wonder why they preach one thing and support regulations that have the opposite effect.

In a global warming time frame the conversion time of 10 years from methane to CO2 is irrelevant.

Do you understand my confusion that there are vast amounts of GHG emitted, in Ireland, by bacteria which are not measured, E.g. a leaf falling to the ground, only that of a cow eating grass is recorded?

Do you think there's any merit to the idea that decaying plant matter emits 6 times more carbon into the atmosphere than all human emissions?

Interested to hear your thoughts on the notion that decaying plant matter in soil with more open structures releases Nitrous Oxide as bacteria break down the decaying matter in the presence of water....supposedly its climate change potential 300 times greater than CO2?

A leaf falling on the ground and decaying anaerobically is a very different proposition to one decaying anaerobically. The carbon molecule being released as CO2 Vs it being released as CH4 is massively different from a greenhouse effect perspective.

Plants convert CO2 to plant matter. Not CH4. So a molecule of CO2 can be absorbed by a plant and re-emitted several months later when the leaf is shed. That's perfectly carbon neutral.

The same plant cannot absorb a methane molecule (which is 100 times more potent at trapping heat than a CO2 molecule) so that methane molecule is not part of an equivalent carbon cycle.

Also, I don't understand your comment about the 10 year span being irrelevant. Why is it irrelevant?

But you'll agree it is an Irish emission?

One that isn't measured by the EPA?

Are you suggesting the EPA track annual leaf fall in Ireland? I think -given the context - you're suggesting a false equivalence between trees losing their leaves in winter and cows belching methane.

• Advertisement

Again, there's this use of the word 'carbon'. We're talking about methane, not carbon. Reducing it to the word 'carbon' again smacks of trying to draw a false equivalence between CO2 and CH4.

Advertisement