Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

Its also that from June 1st, all bottles in Ireland will have the logo. There shouldn't be any exceptions to that from June 1st. The transition period will throw up some strange things as shops clear out their stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There is no guarantee the machine will not reject your empties.

The advice then is to contact re-turn.

I imagine they will travel to your home collect your empties and give you your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

My final word on this issue is that if any shop charges me a deposit on an out of scope container I'll take it up with them.

If it happens to you and you would prefer to phone up and bend the ear of some youngster in a call centre carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

My final word on this issue is that if any shop charges me a deposit on an out of scope container I'll take it up with them.

The shop hasn't got your deposit.

Re-Turn have.

You might as well go and have a final word with a traffic cone, it will be the same net effect.

The literal CEOs advice is to contact re-turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 chuda

i took a look at my miss shelf in bathroom, and i can tell you now, that will shorten everyone`s life in future for day or two.

so, what about all those cosmetic bottles, with plastic to content ratio of 2:3

they easily takes up 3rd of plastic problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

thats a good question, this re-turn scheme only want the quick easy money fast cash recycleables unfortunately

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Aim to reduce and reuse, before thinking about recycling.

Switch from the plastic bottles of hand soap back to the old fashioned bar of soap for a start.

thats a really good idea and admire how you think regarding all this. But i think the point the other guy was making, is that those other bottles are excluded from the scheme and will not count towards reaching the 90% goal whatsoever, even if he does reduce, re-use, or recycle those things listed. in the DRS schemes eyes these don't exist, or don't count towards their goal as they can't be sold overseas for a quick buck like the DRS eligiable items can

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Re-turn is making recycling sexy for everyone! Don't ruin the buzz with your talk of reuse and reduce!!

Melting down plastic that was used only once to mix with the same quantity of virgin plastic that has never been used before, and repeating the cycle is the circular way-forward here, my friend.

• Advertisement

Don't forget that the physical act of going down to the RVM to deposit our bottles is also another form of excersize, therefore making ireland and its people more healthier in the process. And also we can collect any cans we find along the way, and bring them with us to deposit, therefore also making our streets cleaner too.

Which makes this convenient for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Is there a difference in the RVM barcodes accepted by each store? I had two cans in a pack of 4. Tested one in Aldi and one in the local centra. Accepted in the Aldi yesterday but declined in Centra today!

The major error I'm seeing in the rollout of this is that the should have started by requiring the labels 6 months before the launch.

You could then have gone live and the bottles and cans would have largely been labelled correctly and it would have gone a lot smoother. It would have helped with the public awareness and communications side of things too if the labels had already been widespread.

As it stands, there's going to be confusion for several months as the old stock runs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I got an online order from Supervalu containing 18 cans of 7up free and a dozen 500ml bottled water and again no tax charged on them as old stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

But wouldn't they have lost money as people would have been aware that these cans/bottles were a mini-gold-mine? Buy 'em without deposit, store 'em after use, get free 15c in February.

So they couldn't possibly do that - notwithstanding that it would have got the system off on a hugely positive footing for a trivial sum of money. They decided instead that charging people 15c deposits immediately even though some of the products aren't accepted by the machines was the way to go. Shower of....

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Or just mandate that for a deposit to be charged it has to have a logo, to hell with these international barcodes which have caused all this confusion because they're allowed to be used now and after they add logos to the containers. If re-turn have the power to mandate they all need logos from June 1st they have the power to mandate that they need new barcodes then too.

You'd kinda think the logo could have just been little QR code ... rather than scanning the barcode at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Exactly right.

Imagine, they WANT people to store their waste, the WANT people to 'bring it back' to an RVM, not use their bin, they WANT people to get money back when they do, they WANT the kudos from this new way to recycle.

They want this change in behaviour, but obviously what they wanted EVEN MORE is to make sure they didn't lose any deposits.

As I said previously, they should have provided a launch chest of funds to allow for one off negative deposits so that the scheme worked smoothly from day 1. Same could have been achieved with a trial period (no deposit charged, with small say 5c deposit returned to enable mass familiarisation for say 1 month prior to full launch).

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Are recycling rates are all good except for plastics. Lazy government ministers do not want to take any responsibility or use any government finance to improve recycle rates. Instead form a quango with a carrot dangling, lads take in a bit of plastic and we will give you all the aluminum cans which is were the real money. And waste are and will continue to raise your bin charges because they are out of a big slice of the aluminum collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,352 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Was talking to one of the girls in the shop earlier. She reckons the machines have to be left switched on all night or they will lose all their data.

Very green 🙄.

• Advertisement

You ever scan in Avonmore 500ml milk cartons on a self service? They’ve a little QR, annoying as **** when the reader sees it instead of the barcode.

It would be very very annoying at tills if more products at a QR code and a barcode.

They’d consume very very little compared to the giant store they’re sitting in.

yeah true but you have to add it all up, 1800 machines all over the country. Thats alot of electric, even if each one is only a small bit, it all adds up. every little help.

its a sacrifice for the green man

• Administrators Posts: 53,748 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The electricity isn't really the non-green thing about these machines.

It's the fact that now every single time someone returns something to these machines a piece of paper is printed, on a type of paper that is not recyclable. In fact, I am pretty sure that thermal paper is so bad for recycling that very little of it can ruin an entire bin load of recycling.

I would agree with you but be careful with your claims or ye will be attacked re: whether paper can be recycled or how bad it is for the environment.

well yes there's that also. but when one looks at the grand scheme of things and takes all of the little things into account alongside the big things, one can see this is more about money and getting the stats for EU, than it is actually about helping the environment.

at the end of the day to the average person who already recycles in their green bin at home for years, this is just seen as another green tax.

i hear the excuse of "making streets cleaner" as an answer to the whole discarded can's and bottle thing, if they really cared about this side of things they should allow damaged cans to be redeemable too in the RVMs, atleast give 5-10 cent or something back, aslong as the logo can be indentified then there's no green reason they should be holding out on giving a deposit back. Its helping them reach their goal while giving people incentive to tidy the streets at the same time.

ReTurn Website:

Why doesn’t the Deposit Return Scheme include glass?

Currently, Ireland has a recycling rate of over 80% for glass and is surpassing recycling targets for this material. As a result, there are no plans to include glass in the Scheme but this may be open to change in the future.

From Bog Master:

If glass is not included as it is surpassing recycling targets, why is aluminum included as we are are currently, and have been surpassing EU targets?

Where does it say we’re surpassing aluminium targets? We are not. That’s why it’s included.

Annual Report 2022

In 2022, Repak surpassed all EU mandated recycling targets and delivered on all key compliance, communication and financial objectives. This was supported by the successful implementation of key policies from the EU Circular Economy Package including Eco Fee Modulation and Net Necessary Cost models for all materials.

From 2019, perhaps a bit dated.

https://www.metalpackagingeurope.org/article/aluminium-beverage-can-recycling-remains-high-76-2019#smooth-scroll-top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

FIFA and UEFA are not for profits. Pull the other one if you think no one is making money out of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement