Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,163 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I was like; "That's sad, I really enjoyed A Hat in Time."

Then I remembered that was Gears for Breakfast, not Toys for Bob. Always confuse those two.

There should be a A Hat in Time sequel though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

**** Microsoft. Toys for Bob has been around for years. They made the classic Star Control 2 and recently those crash Bandicoot Remakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Looks like a false alarm. Seems the physical building was shut down and some people were let go but majority of employees are remote workers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Still crazy that such a talented studio, who did Star Control, Skylanders and remakes of Crash Bandicoot and Spyro (and then their own original Crash game which was really good), ended up as a support studio for Call of f*cking Duty games....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Still smarting from when Vicarious Visions delivered an acclaimed, commercially successful remake of THPS 1+2 and was immediately folded into Blizzard instead of being given the THPS 3 remake everyone wanted.

While I’m still very uneasy over Microsoft’s acquisition - and the recent job losses are a very good example of why - we should never forget how **** an independent Activision was as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭MikeRyan87

That was very surprising and annoying considering the THPS1+2 remake sold 1m in two weeks, the fastest selling in the whole franchise.

Was really looking forward to THPS3+4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

This would be phenomenal if it held up and imposed a punitive enough punishment. Something to try and put a lid on the capitalistic ambitions of these companies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Would it not be a handy way out for Microsoft? They wouldn't have to saddle themselves with the cost of the merger and maybe halt the need to make all their games third party which would probably keep their console from being obsolete.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The FTC are fans of trying incredibly long shot legal avenues, I very much doubt that they will get anywhere on this. MS will most likely point out that you can have overlaps that require redunancies, and still maintain independence. They'd also point to the wider layoffs throughout the industry, and at the previous history of ABK layoffs.

MS don't want to get rid of a hugely successful business, and will most likely continue to make hardware into the future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Multiplayer, fair enough. Still can play it solo. Just hope you can play solo offline like NMS, I don't want to meet anyone else.

But, GaaS model.... ugh... I thought any Subnautica 2 news would make me excited... how disappointing. Early days, but hearing anything that's GaaS immediately puts me off it. Will wait and see how they manage to fuk this up.

@Zero-Cool unfortunately not the best news...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I genuinely checked what day it was cos for a hot second presumed it was already April 1st.

Embracer and GaaS; man the industry is in some dire fúcking straights.

Just to update, if you click the IGN article above the developer has swiftly moved to “clarify” their publisher’s wording:

“In the blog post today, though, Unknown Worlds specifically addressed some of the above descriptions with a few clarifications. 

"In reference to 'Games-as-a-Service,' we simply plan to continually update the game for many years to come, just like the previous two Subnautica games," it wrote. "Think our Early Access update model, expanded. No season passes. No battle passes. No subscription."

The developer added that it is "not multiplayer-focused. Co-op will be an entirely optional way to play the game. You’ll be able to enjoy the game as a single-player."”

Hopefully just a publisher throwing in some buzzwords during a financial call!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

They've since clarified or should i say back tracked. Single or co-op and no season passes or battle passes.

Playing co-op games solo is not the same as a single player campaign in my opinion. Especially if we're going to come across co-op teams in game.

It'll either be huge or we'll be talking about another studio biting the dust come Christmas.

For me, I'll happily replay rhe original. Old games on Ultra is no longer a fad for me, it's becoming the only way I want to play games. But what do I do when all these games become the old games?!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Oh holy jesus that gave me a fright, thank **** that was clarified. I can fully imagine the suits on the finance call going "you guys.... It's a GAAS game!!" And everyone cheering. Also, i don't mind the multiplayer as the community was screaming out for it. Personally, i will be going solo, very excited to hear it's based on a new alien world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh thank Jaysus! Hype train reboarded! And PixelPlayer just reminded me I have a pc that should be more than capable of playing it, modded! Yurt!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It does speak to just how poisonous a term GaaS has become that its accidental use required a hasty reassurance from the developers.

Going by the dreadfully low player counts for Suicide Squad on Steam, I think it’s safe to say we’re somewhat in the death throes of the rush towards GAAS. Too many flops and not nearly enough successes. We’ve already seen Sony quite significantly pull back on Jim Ryan’s ‘let’s get everyone making live services’ blitzkrieg.

The appeal of an infinite money maker is obviously an appealing one to publishers, but there’s only enough space and audience attention span in this world for a handful of them. And even they’re incredibly hard to sustain.

GaaS is like the scratch card of video game genres.

I do think there are a couple from the early days that did it right. Sea of Thieves and erm...give me a minute what was the other one? I'll get back on that 😆

Oh yeah, Apex Legends. Although I'll never forgive it for essentially killing of Titanfall 3.

It's an AAAA game. The extra A is for "Actually I think I'll just play Assassin's Creed Black Flag again"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

AAA anonymous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Skull and Bones bring a worse pirate game than Black Flag is actually kind of hilarious. How you can **** something up so spectacularly is beyond me.

Yeah, I really hope that news was just a publisher being idiots, and Unknown Worlds are being truthful. There's not many games i can think that would be more ruined by any sort of GaaS bullshit, and this is one i'm unbelievably excited for.

Why do people say Skull and Bones is an awful game when it hasn't been released? I like the look of it personally, but it looks like I'm heading for disappointment. Is it because it is GaaS or because of the development issues, both or something else?

Both and probably a bit more. It's very much a case of Ubisoft striking while the iron is cold. After AC Black Flag, people really wanted a full pirate game without all the trappings of the AC franchise, and S&B was eventually announced. Then there were a lot of stories of troubled development. Not to mention Sea of Thieves doing a lot of what S&B was supposed to be but without the AAA graphics. Then live service/GaaS really started taking off and it seemed like S&B was going to be pivoted into a GaaS game. But development issues kept taking so long that they missed the boat on that and GaaS has now become pretty toxic. Now it feels like they're just in a position where they just have to get the game out because it's a sunk cost (I'm not trying to make these boat puns, they're just incredibly apt). Now they're charging full price for a GaaS game despite Ubisoft shutting down a lot of their previous GaaS games.

I don't think anyone's really saying it's awful, but it's a game that at this point, nobody is excited for and it's lost a lot of faith and goodwill. Anyone who was looking forward to it at this point probably isn't any more. And it really doesn't help that Ubisoft is trying to claim it's worth €70 because even though it's a GaaS, it's a "AAAA" one apparantly.

There was a recent discussion here too about how the new Prince of Persia probably would have sold a lot better if it was a bit cheaper. Now it's looking like even though it was a really great game and one of the best things Ubisoft has done in years, it won't have made enough money and will be deemed a failure. I can easily see Skull & Bones going the same way even if it somehow has ended up being good.

• Advertisement

I kind of find it a bit presumptuous to write off a Ubisoft multiplayer game. They're usually pretty good at rescuing their multiplayer games after poor launch. Siege, the Division and For Honour all became pretty popular games after very poor launches and were saved by good content management, support and free multiplayer weekends.

Advertisement