Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Neary was brillant in that defeat against wexford last year. Id be very suprised is himself,eoghan lyng and marty murphy arent on the senior panel next year. 3 really good prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I see Westmeath and Galway are in the process of purchasing ground for centres of excellence while we’re still lagging behind by a long shot and I was eaten alive a while ago by suggesting that money gives counties an advantage over others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Was it not announced recently that current fund raising by the County Board is to amongst other things be allocated to new pitches etc.

I only made the second half of the colleges match today it was a complete rout by st.Kieran’s. In that half I only see the CBS score two points. I actually thought the CBS were in with a right chance even without Ruari Galway. I saw the first goal by st. Kieran’s on the phone it was taken brilliantly by Sean Hunt. Are the CBS really that bad? And if not how are the management going to lift them up off of the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

It was and nedflanders posted a comprehensive summary of it here, pasted again below.

The other notable thing from last nights meeting was that Phil Hogan delivered his report and plan on corporate structures to help the county board increase sponsorship and help raise funds for development projects. In fairness it was a very in dept look at things and there seems to be big changes and structures being put in place to maximise the income they can earn. They have a fairly ambitious plan to bring in additional income of nearly €11m over the next 5-6 years. I won't go through everything but some of the standout things from points on it, the new jersey (out this week) will have additional sponsors on the back and the sleeve, Tirlan have agreed to allow the county board get new sponsors for the development squads with no change to their agreed level of sponsorship, a communications company in Dublin (can't remember the name) have agreed to take over the digital marketing free of charge for 5 years and it's hoped this could raise the best part of half a million a year with no cost, plans to digitalise Nowlan Park and put in new shops and merchandise shops to help increase revenue. The capital investment they are hoping to do over the coming years are 6 new pitches with floodlighting and fitness facilities to take the load off Nowlan Park/Dunmore included with some of these, at least one of these to be a full length astro pitch with floodlights, floodlights to be put in Nowlan park, there was more detail given and the report was sent out to clubs so if your interested in the full report talk to your club chairperson/secretary who will be able to forward you the report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Yeah I heard this around town over the weekend. Big man alright but looks a little short of pace. Hogan sorting him with a job ??

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Joe Fitzpatrick started at midfield for UCC tonight, playing very deep, played very well in first half and landed a terrific point. 10 mins into 2nd half, taken off when UCC were leading by 3 points. Unless injured, an inexplicable decision, and UCC went on to collapse from there, conceding 1-9 without reply and UL won handily.

Ian Byrne came on as a sub very late on for UL.

Carlow v Waterford was poor stuff, miles behind the UL v UCC match.

Fitzpatrick looks very lean and is a great striker Has to be given a run

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

I heard he is doing research on his PHD through Glanbia in Kilkenny for the next 3-4 years.

He is only 24, so Id say Derek Lyng will definitely take a look at him if he performs for OLG this year, he is 6 foot 5 and seems very strong under a high ball.

Big step up from hurling with Kerry in the Joe McDonagh to hurling with Kilkenny in the Liam McCarthy level all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭droppingball

Don't like to say it but I just don't see it with Joe Fitz, he isn't aggressive, doesn't seem to have cut, doesn't bust a gut to get to breaking ball. Seems a bit passive and one paced almost like he doesn't have enough drive.

Had high hopes for him but just think there are missing ingredients there that are needed for inter County, still young so hopefully I'm wrong as we could really do with him.

We know all that but is there actually anything in motion, this problem really needs to be addressed immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Bit harsh but yes, a lad that big should impose himself more. But he looked in miles better shape than U20 last year, so def needs to get some game time.

Kilkenny have no curernt senior starters with Waterford IT, so we will have a full hand to pick from here. So will Cork!

That wonder Cork minor team from 2021 dont seem to be really kicking on, no stand outs for UCC tonight. Our minor team in 2021 on paper looked really good, but totally flopped v an average enough Galway in semi. I think that crop could go better this year. Neary, Marty Murphy and Ed Mc Dermott didnt feature in 2021 (too young) but will surely be included this year and strengthen.

Ye Jeff Neary is some talent alright.

That's it, thanks. Obviously the proposed facilities can't appear overnight. Hopefully Phil Hogan will keep the momentum going.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Hope Galway make a better fist with there centre of excellence, than the last time. Nearly broke there Co board.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

In fairness the night Phil Hogan spoke at the county board meeting he said the first things that will happen is a new sponsor being announced for the development squads/academy before the end of January which has happened, he also said they hoped to have more new sponsors announced before the end February so hopefully that will help too. One of his big things was having a better online presence and I think with the social media posts this year have been a lot better and more professional looking so there is obviously work been done in the background there also. I would have been very critical of the previous board but I think the current board do seem to be working better and going in a better direction, they are by no means perfect but a step up on the previous board. In a lot of ways Hogan's report has made it very easy for them and has given them a clear plan to follow, aligned with Mick Fennelly's role taking over the development squad side of things, that has improved things considerably. There is a county board meeting next week, if any further updates are given I'll post up here.

Great, thanks for the update. The online communication has definitely improved. And it was great to see that Terry Clune is sponsoring the academy. By all accounts, Mick Fennelly is progressing in his role. The green shoots are appearing at long last. A bit of patience is required now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Junior & Intermediate Draws.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

It's strange that the Terry Clune sponsorship was rejected only a few years ago as it was seen as a bad idea but is now a good idea. Similarly, the ideas and innovation that Mick Fennelly is bringing to the table were shot down in the very recent past.

It would make you wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I'd 100% agree with you, made no sense what so ever. I remember some one suggesting that one of the reason's was that they didn't want to fall out with Glanbia, but look at it now and Glanbia have effectively less visibility i.e. there logo not on development squad jerseys, but there investment hasn't decreased! A bit of forward thinking back then and we could be in a far healthier position now.

At least it's happening now and in no small part due to Phil Hogan asking to be involved. Apparently he went to the County Board with ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Group A is a real doosie.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Team for Saturday, good to see Carey starting

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

I'm kinda surprised to still see Conor Delaney still on the panel and not walking away, whether he's really hard done by all the time I'm not so sure, we needed legs for Saturday night going down to Cork and management have realised this, Good to see Lawlor, Donnelly back.

I would have given Mikey Butler another 2 weeks of a break as he looked like he needed it with struggling bit last few games, would have liked to seen David Fogarty involved too. Interested to see how Luke Hogan Goes.

M Butler was apparently carrying a leg injury which may explain his lack of form.

Pleased with team announced. But we really do need to address the goalkeeping strategy soonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Luke Hogan ? He wouldnt make a lot of senior club teams in Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Did not anticipate Luke Hogan being parachuted in there. Can't imagine he's done much with Kilkenny with Loughlins going through the winter.

With Blanchfield in the Walsh Cup and now Hogan there appears to be a plan to have a focal point at 14. I know Hogan used to drift to the corner for the delivery from the OLG half back line a lot but I don't see either himself or Blanch being athletic enough to beat an intercounty full back to that kind of ball. And you can't really go direct anymore as defenders are too cute to let you win that primary LONG straight ball (unless you're TJ).

Hopefully it's part of a larger plan and we get to see it Saturday night but my instinct is... I don't see it. I know we're struggling with forwards.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25 upnorth

He’d be on every senior club team in Kilkenny. Best of luck to him

As I said before leave the snide remarks for after the game. Everyone of them is training hard and deserve their shot.

Correct.

There should be a rule that when a poster deems a player not good enough to be on the panel, they must suggest an alternative! Otherwise we won't even have a starting 15!

Post edited by Grats on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Is Paddy Deegan injured ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement