Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Ryan Tubridy is as far away from work as he can get on holiday time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Tork

The Vogue thing is probably a podcast. Let's be honest, if he was still ensconced in Montrose, he wouldn't even think about doing anything like this. Every Tom Dick and Harry is making a podcast now so this isn't as exciting as Bobson and his NK buddies think it is. It's either a nixer to make some money, or an option that'll help get him out of London when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

She owns property in both London and Dublin. The girl has done well for herself. Turns out she’s widely liked and an astute business person.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Vogue Williams isn't going to devise a unified theory of physics anytime soon but she shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Tub's either. She wasn't handed a career or massive pay packets for the craic. She actually went and did a podcast that became so successful it sold out the 3arena on consecutive nights. By all accounts she's a highly driven and capable woman.

Don't know what the hell she's doing hitching her wagon to that dead horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

The bar has now been set technically and content wise. Tubridy is already out of his depth by trying to be a 'Content led' host on a highly formatted music radio station, becoming largely ineffective at serving it's audience. He is simply lacking technical ability and from a production perspective he is just not slick enough to be regarded as a music presenter, throwing Vogue into the mix maybe the equivalent of pouring petrol onto the fire. So The Ryan Tubridy Show falls between both stools given that the perception of Virgin Radio is that to be a 'go-to' more music station that has tight 30 second links maximum outside of breakfast. 

With Tubridy, listeners will not understand his gibberish and D4 colloquialisms nor will they understand his race horse style bursts and random unprepped streams of waffle. If 6% of Dubs only tried or sampled his show, have not returned and are now gone, I can see huge midmorning gains in 3 months for Toby Tarrant on X, Vernon Kay on Radio 2, Ken Bruce, Marty Miller at Nova, Dave Moore on Today FM - all better presenters with more experience in that slot and building RAJAR/JNLR figures. 

If NKM is reading this, your money would have been better spent sending your client on a year long cruise or maybe a trip to Timbuktu for 12-24 months as he/you are increasing the damage of Tubridy's already terrible and awful brand - a brand that is associated with ripping off the taxpayer (whether true or false). At the same time the Virgin Radio brand is also being damaged in the UK, along with Q102, LMFM, Live 95, and Cork's 96FM. Effectively his radio shows are to radio an insult to intelligence as his MoS column is to print journalism.

Tubridy's desperation to remain relevant is being called out and the angst of the Virgin Radio/Q102 listener at having this foisted upon their ears and senses on a daily basis is reasonable and understandable. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Is Tubs Justified in thinking the hat makes him look cool?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Sometimes life just imitates art...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

As far podcast goes I can't see what angle tubs would take sell out the 3arena.

I don't understand Vogue's market but it seems that like Norton it's her effort that has landed her deterget ads on UK tv. That's not to be sniffed at.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

As mentioned above- Vogue is a grafter. Works hard at what she does and has built an audience and is in-step with the progression of social media and podcasting.

What the Spoofer Ryan would bring to the table in a joint venture with her is beyond me...but I'll enjoy the ever decreasing circle Tub's is drawing around himself. For no other reason than to highlight the septic tank of noses in trough that RTE is and how the snobs took (and still do) take the ordinary Joes for mugs.

Hopefully this is "The Big Podcast". And hopefully Vogue has an exit plan.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

He is incorrect that BBC Broadcasting House was renamed Wogan House !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

Excited to see what Tubridy’s secret project with this tennis legend will involve 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Tubs not accustomed to researching things for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The mammy's love Tubridy, Vogue is part of an advertising campaign that sells detergent, so this could end up benefitting Vogue..

As for Tubridy;

The Ryan Tubridy Show - Sponsored by Dettol

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Having saw the clip Tubs posted with Vogue, I actually think she could he his saviour....

He began by starting the video with his phone at eye level, to which she scoffed and told him to put it high over his head "obvs" as that's the only way to do these clips.

He then immediately started waffling about her nerd credentials and said "you do actually like books don't you"

She replied that on the 'cool nerd' scale, she sees herself as a 6 / 10, and she sees Tubs as probably a 4, then started laughing at him. He sheepishly then said bye and stopped recording.

If I was Tubs radio producer looking at that, I'd be trying to get her on the Virgin show as co-host!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Might be easier for Virgin Radio to train her as a presenter and use her to replace Tubridy.

The whole "nerd" thing from Tubridy sounds absolutely fake. It is like he desperately wants to be considered an intellectual. His siblings seem rather accomplished.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

that's not a good look, especially since it's his dream employer.... you think he's know this sort of stuff...

Think that Tubridy's more likely to appeal to the grandmothers than mammies. He's a 50 year old going on 85. There's a kind of new parish priest thing about Tubridy and his demographic. He's completely out of his depth on Virgin Radio as it is a different audience to the one he had on RTE. Vogue might have a lot more in common with VR's target demographic than Tubridy ever will.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

• I have MS and attend his brother Prof Niall’s clinic. Couldn’t be more different in personality. Not everyone is born intellectual, but many are very gifted in other respects, including stuff as basic as common sense, which is not so common. I was telling Prof Niall my memory has gone sh1te, he said “mine has become atrocious too, that’s why I have to write everything down”.

Perhaps Tubridy isn't competing with other presenters but with them.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

The Vogue idea. IF they buddy him with her as a co host:

1. Nothing he can do about it.

2. He has failed. 

3. She may want to keep her Global contract, so a move to News UK would be more likely a step down in position and money.

Tubridy is coming across worse by the day and by the hour. Virgin HAVE to be aware of this and at some point I believe they will be conducting review meetings to address the delivery or face the possibility of complaints. If in 3 months from now, complaints and negative RAJARs become apparent, action will have to be taken.

It must also be noted that during the past 7-8 years that radio station has been a revolving door for presenters and PD's as well as production staff. I would be surprised if Tubridy were to last anything longer than 2 years.

If and when Rupert Murdoch does shuffle off this mortal coil, things will change. His son Lachlann will not make any sweeping changes untill then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Listened today for the first time in weeks. It all seems so forced. Books! Libraries! Museums! Laundrettes! 😁

He also spoke more than once about "self love" , which was a little disturbing 🤢. He also refers to the stretch of water between the UK and Ireland as "the pond", which again is baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I doubt anyone will be outraged, this will get pity from me as vague leaves the project with her head held high and tubs gets found out again

• If the Atlantic is the Pond, the Irish Sea should be the Puddle

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The show doesn't seem to be getting much listening from folk on this thread, even his fans.

Maybe to Tubridy but to a lot of people in the UK "the pond" is the Atlantic and often used when talking about the US. Tubridy doesn't seem to have spent much time outside his village so his colloquialisms and expressions might not work. At this stage, Virgin Radio listeners must be wondering why he replaced Eddy Temple-Morris.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see BBC are launching a 2nd Radio2 service, playing music from the 50s to the 70s.

This could be Tubs' big chance of that dream job at the Beeb. Playing music for oldies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Tork

Ha ha. It might work if they want to send oldies to an early grave.

Let's face it, he has made a mess of a job that should have been a gimme. A job that most other radio presenters in Ireland would have been better at. The only thing I'm waiting for now is the inevitable return to Ireland and the spin surrounding it.

Advertisement