Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Retro

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Again not retro but this years TV Times cover 🎄🎄

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

came across this channel, goes through all the Christmas movies and tv specials from each year. So far he’s done 3 years from the 80’s

1987-1989

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭BK5

Flicked through the 1989 one (my god I was 17 that Christmas! 😮) and the two that stuck out for me were Dougie Howser MD and National Lampoons, great memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Must give these a go during the week.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Love the prices haha

• Advertisement

Christmas 1993, look at the opening hours and look at the days they closed, I knew everything shut down over Christmas back in my day!

i'd love to understand the psychology and economics of opening the 26th-28th these days, would you lose market share? Would today's generation go into a meltdown if the supermarkets were closed for 4 days?

I actually worked part time in my local Superquinn that very Christmas. When I finished up in college for the Christmas we'd go in and work full time in the shop, was great to have an extra few quid, and the week before christmas we did a night shift (came in as the store closed & worked through the night to restock) & got double pay for it which was fab-u-lous for a student!

Although the shop didn't re-open until the 29th, we'd have been back in on the 28th for a half day or so re-stocking everything.

I used to love working there part time as I went through my first college course, it was a great place to work back in the day. And the money was a godsend for a student in those days.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I'd say the night shift was actually a bit of craic especially with no customers.

It was far less stressful that's for sure. Once something was packed that was that, no having to repack it. Also, no customers asking for stuff on the opposite side of the store.

The best bit at the time was being able to wear your own casual clothes & not the uniform, which back then was grey slacks, white shirt & superquinn tie.

It was jeans, t-shirts & trainers all the way... we could play whatever music we liked over the PA system too which generated all kinds of debates 😀

but yeah, good craic in general, messed with your body clock though when not used to shift work like that, I used to be all over the place with my sleep patterns at christmas the years I worked there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

With online shopping added into the mix these days, I can never understand shops reopening first thing on the 26th! Staff at the very least should get a three day break at Christmas.

Less corporate greed in 1993?

Yeah it irks me so much they open on the 26th, I'd love to know does it make much of a difference to Sales/Profits from being open those days?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not all of them open on the 26th and it varies. Some Supervalus near me open, some don't. The one that is open is busy on the 26th with people buying papers, milk corner shop type stuff and I imagine later on hitting the off licence.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Is it not 69?

Mainly because they use 1/2 penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

If people did not support businesses on these days then they wouldn't open. I try make it my business not to support them on those sort of days.

It’s 1980 actually. Took me an age to refine it and make it clearer but is 1980 makes sense as the half penny went out of circulation in 87.

I don’t support them either. But obviously they must make enough money out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thanks, myself and mother Popcorn was having a debate about it.

My apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I remember the halfpenny! And, if I remember correctly, I think the 20 pence piece was introduced the year after they got rid of the halfpenny.

Ah, the 20p with the horse on it. I miss our money sometimes.

I'm hard pressed to find many things on that ad that we no longer have! Most of them are still in the shops today.

The Roses are more expensive than they are today 😂 but that's some size tin, to be fair!

I’d love a 2kg tin of sweets these days haha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I used to work in a Super Value when I was in uni back in the early 90s. Like you, I absolutely LOVED the run in to Christmas. I used to work at least 12hr shifts from 7am to 7pm in the deli and stocking the shelves. Sometimes we stayed back until 9pm restocking and then back in the next morning, even at 6am when the fresh stock was delivered from Musgraves.

Like you, we played our own music over the PA and basically had a laugh. If I remember correctly the shop closed at 6pm on Christmas Eve and then we hit the pub for a crafty pint or two before heading home.

Even back in 1994 (I think) it opened on the 26th but only from 12-4 that year because we made an absolute killing with the Cuisine de France bread "freshly" baked from frozen in the ovens. That's all people wanted, along with some milk and, of course, some booze from the off-licence.

A few years again after that, we would open at 10 and stay open until 6 but that was still a rarity even back then. It did gradually get busier with each passing year but none of us minded a jot. We were all aged 16-20 and it was easy money with one of the assistant managers supervising for the day.

Good times

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭supereurope

I posted a collection of supermarket Christmas ads on a separate thread last year:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058326921/christmas-ads-for-now-defunct-irish-supermarkets

Christmas Eve 1986!

Christmas Day 2000 doesn’t look too bad at all.

Advertisement