Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

He caught the mark just in front of us in the terrace and I thought it was the right call at the time, I fancied him to kick it. Dropping it short was deflating.

Gary O'Rourke was good. Dealt with a high ball brilliantly and another awkward effort was well gathered. His kickout range was put under scrutiny though and it needs some work. But all in all a very solid debut.

If we can get our best 15 on the field I think we can win any game in this Division. If we beat Cork we can be in the hunt for promotion, if we lose we'll be dragged into a relegation playoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Who is our Full Back going to be? I like Gunners honesty but when pitches harden up we won't get away with him at Full Back. Clarke and Faulkner seem to have a job to do elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I think it has to be Clarke. There are other players who can work in midfield.

I had thought young Brady from Gowna who marked Canavan in that U20 final would be our next full back but is he even on the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭etuzyuk

Disappointing result. Thought we deserved at least a draw. Donegal not near as good as I was expecting. Very negative team. Cynical, very mouthy to match officials and theatrical in how they hit the deck with any sort of contact. Unfortunately the referee bought every bit of BS they sold him. They used to be my second team but doubt Jimmy will be winning too many matches with that crap system and I hope the referees cop on to that other shite. Absolutely should not be rewarded for it.

Thought we battled well, set up the more positive and never gave in which is encouraging but we are short in a few areas. Full back is worrying, all heart but cannot see that working come championship. Midfield big problem area. Got within a point second half and then didn't touch the ball in this sector for next 15 minutes. Galligan not near the races. If Buchannon was still around he'd be first name on sheet. I was a bit annoyed TBH with our full forwards. Lazy and disinterested and never looked hungry for ball. What's the point in committing so many men up there when they never come out to look for it. It kills transition. It's only when others like McVeety or Holla cycled in there that we saw any real runs or desire to win ball. Caoimhin O'Reilly was excellent in this regard too when he came on, won a few balls there that he had absolutely no right to win.

Thought our tackling was very hard but sloppy enough at times. We sailed close to the wind on few occasions buy maybe that was down to the poor ref and knowing what you could get away with on the day. With another referee some of us mightn't have finished the game.

Plenty of positives though. Carolan looks the real deal and put in another great shift. Made some great carries and tackles. Lots of others put in big shifts and thought the subs gave us more energy. Just need a few more to come out of their shells but it's great to see us back in Div2 in front of a crowd and giving as good as we get.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mogue77

I thought he might have tried Brian O’Connell on gallan, Brian would have more pace than killian and would have matched up well with gallan.

• Advertisement

Draw and new format for Ulster U20. I quite liked the old knock out, it was the only "true" old style championship left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

ah right, yeah were on borders with kildare and westmeath so Cavan wouldnt come up on the radar as a rival or dearby game at all, i think thats whats wrong most meath players and fans are too obsessed with playing dublin, kildare and louth and never get themslves up for these games. Cavan wont be relegated anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I personally prefer the old school knock out at senior level. The longer format always favours the stronger counties, with more resources and bigger panels. Despite the "teams get more game time", when was the last time there were any genuine shocks in the All Ireland? 2020 was the outlier in that it went back to "on the day" and it was brilliant. Not just saying that because we won Ulster, obviously. I actually prefer more games for minors and u20s to give them the time to work together.

Real positive for me was that when the game was drifting, we didn't lie down and fought to the end. When Donegal went 4 up again the second half after we had battled back to a point, it was a huge effort to claw it back. That was great. Bitterly disappointing not to have got a draw, I always felt that we would rue chances that missed. Ref was atrocious for both teams, so picky on many things but really felt that he gave Donegal a ridiculous amount of leeway in terms of travelling with the ball. He also let them away with a lot of time wasting and that last play where James Smith had caught a mark should l have been allowed to take it and at least 30 seconds more as opposed to the throw ball fiasco.

Learning curve at division two is pretty steep, but management need to be ready to make ruthless calls if match ups are wrong. Gallan is a class act and very pacy, and to me Gunner should have been moved after the first two scores and stick Jason onto him to keep a closer eye on him.

• Advertisement

Yeah that mark was very frustrating. I was actually watching the clock a good bit in injury time. I think it was McHugh stayed down after a tackle in their half and then there was the Gallen pointed free as well. I figured at the time they ate up at least 3 minutes of the added time messing bout. At least.

It was good to see us stay the course, I was worried Donegal would pull away but then again McGuiness has a tendency to play containment football. Get the nose ahead and then just do enough to stay there. Don't know how much if at all this was the case or we actually pushed them to their limit.

Cork up next. Expectation in GAA is always a la mode. I saw on Sunday Game they talked our chances up and I see a lot of predictions are tipping us against Cork. But wild swings in form are common this time of year no more so than after a break so I'd still be very worried about where we finish. Plenty of holes and question marks about us. Hopefully we keep our trajectory when we resume.

Not making our excuses in advance, but the draw is very unkind for us. Cork are always poor on the road and very good at home. Not sure why people are saying Cork losing to Louth is a shock, did Louth not beat them last year in Ardee and finish above them? Louth should have beaten Armagh by the looks of it and are a tough unit at home. I would have been happier with Fermanagh in Brewster as we always go well there instead of a trip to Cork or Louth.

Anyways, Cork have to win and that worries me. They have lots of strong runners but we showed against Kildare and Donegal that we are well set up. We have to hope the two Oisins are back. Kiernan gives us a scoring threat from distance but also brings a range of passing we don't have otherwise. We need Oisin Brady to come back as a scoring threat. Paddy Lynch is nailing frees but is it me that doesn't think he's next nor near full tilt? I rate him highly but we would need him to step up several levels in the next few weeks and start kicking more from play.

It would take a big performance to go down and beat a wounded Cork side. After a hammering from Donegal and losing to most people's favourites for relegation in Louth - there will surely be a response from the Cork group. To make it worse, they'll have had 2 weeks to regroup.

Thankfully, Cavan are quite good playing away from home. It looks like Conor Brady might be available which would give us more options around the middle.

It's probably the most important league game since 2021.

Yeah going to Cork always worries me and they will be smarting. But hopefully it's just paranoia from the hammering we got there coupled with their tradition. They have been improving of late but still very beatable. 3 games I was really worried about start of year was Donegal at home and Cork and Armagh away. I'm a bit more relaxed now after seeing us play 2 games but will need to see us compete in Cork before I fully relax.

2 week break hopefully does us good and we return with a stronger panel. Think we play Roscommon, chance for lads to put a hand up and any niggles to repair. I'd fully agree with Lynch, apart from frees he has given us very little if anything. Very frustrating because he has everything going for him including size but just seems to be playing completely within himself. Needs to start putting himself about and demanding ball.

Definitely has the feeling of a pivotal game. One of the things I've been really happy with the structure and intensity shown in the two games. The intention to attack wasn't as strong on Sunday but that's down to Donegal reverting to the black death and the weather too. I think Cork will be a bit more open so we should be able to move the ball quicker against Cork.

I was talking to someone about Lynch and he felt he has 40% more in him as a player, but that we all need to start seeing it. Is he carrying a knock? Not fully fit? Is it self-belief?

He has all the attributes. I think back to his performances in the championship in 2022 and a friend from Donegal ringing me after the Ulster semi final saying that all the Donegal fans he knew felt Lynch was one of the best young forwards in Ulster (in terms of ability off both feet, size, power, ability to win ball and beat a man to make a score). I think for us to kick on to challenge for promotion we need him hitting those heights and ideally from the next game in Cork. Fingers crossed.

I'd agree with the 40% bit. Maybe he got too much praise too soon. Carrying a reputation can effect some players, takes their focus from their natural game and they stop doing the simple things. I'd like to see him keep it simple, show aggressively for the ball and press aggressively without it. After that let the chips fall where they may. Certainly if he was fresh on the scene this year, apart from his frees there would be little to be excited about and he'd be rotating with the bench.

Wearecavan making a call out to supporters in the 2 pods this week. I didn't think it was that bad against Donegal, maybe when teams came out home fans were quiet. After that I thought there was decent noise from home support. Anyway I'm feeling guilty now and contemplating a trip to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mogue77

The population of Donegal is about 170000 which is about Double our population so the chances are they are going to always have more support than us.

Over around the stand was always going to have more Donegal as their supporters were there early. When you’re travelling that far, generally ya leave in plenty of time. I was there just after 2.30 and the stand was quickly filling from even then with Donegal folk.

In fairness though, I remember 2013 in Croker. Donegal were playing Mayo after we played Kerry and I remember one loud Donegal supporter literally roaring for Cavan support to get behind the team more.

• Advertisement

2-30? Jaysus, you were determined to get a good seat 😂

When Down knocked us out of the McKenna Cup last year, their supporters made a similar show of us in Breffni. They welcomed their team onto the field with a huge roar while Cavan got the standard short and polite clap. That trend continued throughout the game and the Cavan support stayed meek.

It's embarrassing and no doubt one of the reasons our record in Breffni us so poor.

Good to see some light being shed on it.

In a lot of our games though, we are playing an oppressed set of people whereas we’ve had it easy in Cavan, bar a few parts of West Cavan arguably.

There was one Cavan supporter in the stand getting loud towards the end and he was quite right in getting annoyed re Donegal wasting time.

Both Cavan & Donegal supporters were looking at him like he had ten heads so there is a factor that you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Do you mean oppressed in terms of the troubles etc?

You'll always have eejits that go too far. But just the basics, we can't even muster a good welcome for our team when they run onto the field.

Yes, oppressed so they are naturally going to be a bit more militant. For example, some Northern people continue traditions that are long being forgotten here in the South because they are eager to show their Irishness as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

The older generation like to get in early to ensure they get a seat. I was in at 3.30 and had to head to the terrace.

I may be wrong (why break with tradition) but i thought the WAC podcast was talking about Cavan football fans as opposed to Cavan people. I thought the reference to oppression and internalised oppression related to Cavan's long-running poor form meaning that fans expect that to continue regardless. I think it's a fair point, we've taking a lot of punishment in the last 50 plus years and not much to shout about. There definitely are plenty of Cavan fans who are almost conditioned to be the first one to say it when a wide is hit "these lads are no use". I think it does translate into not wanting to give yourself hope and by not getting vocal or invested you don't need to be disappointed when the win doesn't come (which you knew it wouldn't anyway).

I don't think the lads were saying that Cavan people broadly experience oppression (as noted above, very real oppression was a driving force for some fans to forge a strong sense of identity, especially in how that is expressed on a football field) but more about how Cavan fans not only handle defeat but almost expect it.

Post edited by baconsarnie on

Anyone on here making the journey to Cork? Where is a good spot to park?

Did you miss my point? My point was the people of Northern counties can be quite vocal because they have been oppressed in the troubles. I wasn’t referring to Cavan people being oppressed in a football sense or otherwise.

• Advertisement

Advertisement