Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭redunited

If anything, it seems that the government is still actively promoting immigration. One of the upcoming referendums on the family has already been pointed out as evidence of this. Additionally, we have seen Roderick O'Gorman and his numerous tweets openly inviting immigrants as well.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/changes-to-definition-of-family-in-referendum-could-lead-to-increase-in-people-seeking-reunification-with-family-who-emigrated-to-ireland-cabinet-warned/a1601313708.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yeah OK, the democratic deficit in the EU is a well-trodden topic. We all know about it as being an issue. The EU's own Eur-lex website has a web page on it: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/EN/legal-content/glossary/democratic-deficit.html.

How EU laws are proposed and made is not a mystery however. The Commission essentially proposes laws to the Council and the Parliament which are then subject to ratification, amendment or rejection.

Anyway — the question is who we are "serving" in the EU.

That's an excellent question because we, as citizens, don't have the opportunity to directly vote for policymakers in the EU. While one could argue that our government represents us in EU matters, it's worth noting that the majority of citizens didn't vote for the current government either. Consider how many attempts it took for Leo and Micheál to be elected in their own constituencies. The Greens, with just over 155,000 votes, seem to be advancing most of their policies despite the majority of the country not voting for them.

One could argue that they formed a government that represented the people, but my vote didn't elect a Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael, and Green government. Additionally, it's important to note that Sinn Féin won the popular vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I'm with Tony Benn on this

How can we the citizens get rid of Ursula von der Leyen?? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That is true, most countries didn't need a referendum, with the exception of Sweden all of them needed more than one arm of the democratically elected legislature to approve it. The fact that we had 2 referendums on it means very little, if the people don't know what they're voting for thats their problem

We have one seat at the European Commission level (as do all countries) and 7 of our 14 seats represent the controlling parties in the parliament

• Advertisement

Firstly, please do me a favour and spare me the "pRo UnLiMiTeD iMmiGrAtiOn" nonsense. If you want to put words in my mouth or just make up things I have never advocated, I'm not going to bother responding to you beyond this.

Anyway — I think you're pulling a bit of a fast one there my friend. Who talks about "serving" international law and obligations? How do you "serve" a law or a provision? Do we talk about law-abiding citizens or law-serving citizens?

Unless the poster didn't express themselves correctly, the inference when you talk about "serving" the EU is that we are serving someone within it, or a body within it. So who is it?

You overlook the fact that those voting for the European Council and presidential positions weren't truly representative of the democratic will of the people, particularly in Ireland. No one directly voted for a government comprised of FF, FG, and Green representatives, yet they assumed power and adjusted policies accordingly. Only a direct popular vote by the citizens of the European Union would wield a much fairer representation of European bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I see the issue, you don't understand how democracy works

I have a clear understanding of how democracy is intended to function, yet my contention lies in its actual practice. Democracy is designed to reflect the collective will of the majority, but can we truly assert that the coalition of Irish political parties currently governing was chosen by anyone other than the self-interested politicians of Dáil Éireann? This issue is underscored by the growing divide evident in our immigration policies. The prevailing sentiment, or at least that of the majority, opposes the current scenario of unvetted and unregulated immigration, often masked as refugee resettlement. Despite this, the government persists in its course of action

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

There's a difference between immigrants and asylum seekers who arrive here with no accommodation and are a burden on local services.

Nobody has an issue with any immigrant coming here to work and making a life here.

Ireland has indeed managed without widespread immigration in the past, and we could continue to do so today if we retained our brightest talents at home. It's disheartening for families to watch their loved ones leave each year due to the scarcity of job opportunities, resources, or the sense of a promising future that educated young Irish individuals often seek abroad.

It's astonishing that some individuals fail to grasp the concept that increasing immigration places a greater strain on our resources, especially when we don't invest in expanding essential infrastructure like hospitals, schools, and law enforcement. Regrettably, rather than prioritizing growth, our current policy leans towards closures and cutbacks

Von der Leyen, as President of the European Commission, can be removed by a vote of censure in the elected European Parliament or by a vote to remove her from office by the Council (which is made of the elected governments of each member state).

Still wondering who in the EU we are "serving". Who are these Brussels overlords we serve?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I always advocate all democratic means possible. Never intimidation, harassment, violence or other criminal acts. That's why I label certain things far right. A lot of these gatherings are harassment, are violent, are intimidation. There hasn't just been arson attacks. In Finglas last year there were calls to burn refugees out of their homes. In Athy and Wicklow Town there were threats of arson.

People here trying to justify it, excuse it and legitimise it are supporting extremist, far right authoritarianist violence.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No that's not true. We have the opportunity to vote for MEPs and TDs/Senators who are part of the policymaking process.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Limited Job opprtunities?

Dublin has one of the best job markets in the world!

There are loads of unfilled vacancies in the country!

We do need to develop infrastructure, I agree. But thats govt owned policy, nothing to do with working migrants.

Without the migrants, the MNC jobs wouldnt be here. Without the MNC jobs, we wouldnt be as wealthy as we are and we would have a much much lower tax take.

Without the MNCs and job opportunities our highly educated youth would leave the country in much higher numbers, as all the jobs would be abroad - just like they used to be.

The part that is missing is increasing home building and infrastructure, but migrant workers are key to delivering those goals.

We require controlled immigration that genuinely enhances Ireland. The current system is far too susceptible to abuse; obtaining a visa is relatively easy, and many individuals arrive without one anyway. This new referendum (if passed) will likely legalide the entry of many more individuals under the family reunification provision.

While they have the authority to remove her, the probability of that occurring is uncertain. They frequently together participate in WEF conferences, Bilderberg meetings, and other summits where unelected individuals play a significant role in determining our future and influencing national policies.

No. Irish people voted and the way that they voted meant that FG/FF and Greens were in a position to form a government based on the majority they had in the Dail. Sinn Fein were not. That is part of our democracy.

Terry Pratchet

Can you show me where peaceful protest has ever worked to change government policy?

As JFK himself said, “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Actually those 3 parties colluded to freeze SF out, where SF was the largest party.

That's undemocratic.

They can offer up amendments, they can debate. But they have no power in European Policy making or decisions.

Why do numerous young people opt to leave our country, a trend that has persisted for decades? While some may desire a change in lifestyle, many are in pursuit of a better quality of life. Just last night, during Matt Cooper's discussion, it was highlighted that over 400 newly trained GPs are departing Ireland. The primary reasons cited were better pay and an improved quality of living. However, we plan to fill these vacancies with 500 individuals from overseas, offering them lower pay and a diminished quality of life, all while depriving much-needed healthcare from the country of their departure.

And has it ever occurred to you that, maybe, the likelihood of an EU Commission President being removed might generally correlate to the fact that in real terms their power is pretty limited? The EU's source of power is the member states and if they want to crush her as President of the Commission — a position which only exists because the Commission exists, and the Commissions which only exists because the EU exists, and the EU which only exists because its member states have partnered up to create it — they can crush her. She can be ousted by the European Parliament too — a parliament which votes on stuff that would bore most people to death twenty times over — which is hardly the hallmark of a truly powerful leader.

I mean...yeah...there is corruption in this world and powerful corporations and politicial leaders — but that's the case with or without the EU. These powerful people wield power over our economies and societies even if the EU disappeared tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

I agree and disagree with you on that.

When it comes to domestic terrorism, I believe that the motivation of the terrorists does not matter.

So, I'm fully with you when it comes to standing up to the far right, and their inane excuses for acts of terror.

But when it comes to the acts of terrorism, acting swiftly is crucial, IMHO. These kinds of acts of terror are very new to the Republic of Ireland. So, up to now, there was no need to do what other countries have done, things like having legislation specifically on how to deal with terrorists, specialized police units that are trained to deal with them, legislation that allows broader use of investigative tools, like search warrants and surveillance, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭buried

So you are not pro unlimited immigration then? Fair enough, if you truly believe there should be a feasible limit to immigration. That's what I believe too.

There's plenty of other posters here who are pro unlimited immigration and consistently and repeatedly claim this Republic has "international obligations" set by "international law/s" concerning the amount of refugees and migrants we are "obliged" to take. Now, if that is true and we have "international obligations" set by "international LAWS" we are duty bound to SERVE them. It is literally SERVING them, to do "our duty" especially if it is to this Republics detriment.

So we are SERVING someone, pointless asking me exactly who man, you'd want to ask Varadkar/Martin/Ryan etc that particular question, or the posters here who repeatedly claim this, we sure as Hell aren't serving anything up to ourselves with this out of control, nonsensical and non-workable mess.

So "we have international obligations" , duties, yes? Or are you saying that we don't?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

The irony lies in the logic of those who advocate for unrestricted immigration: where do we draw the line?

If immigration is viewed as an international obligation, are there any limits to this obligation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Any vote to remove von der leyens commission would be extremely unlikely to attain the required number of signatures to proceed, and even less likely to be adapted by the parliament, populated by the likes of Frances Fitzgerald who couldn't resist one last ride on the gravy train to beat all gravy trains.. A motion of censure has never come within an asses roar of being carried even through the Juncker (luxleaks) years, the commission and the parliament has by and large become accustomed to their luxuries and large cheques, the fine dining the red carpets and all that.. der Leyen is safe though she should be out on her ear at this stage... The dice is loaded and will remain so for quite some time it's democracy Jim but not as I know it, a fat corpulent belching pig dressed up in fine silk.. Now I'm afraid I'll have to do some work to gather some taxes to keep them in the manner to which they have become accustomed, it's not easy

Nigel Farage on the EU Gravy Train, the idea these people are upholding morals and EU democracy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah and every ones of these illegals who show up having destroyed their documents are still entitled to free healthcare and access to the legal system.

Guess who foots the bill for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement