Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

With the time for the Man City game taking everyone's attention has it gone unnoticed that Liverpool finally don't have the 12:30pm kick-off after an International break as the Brighton game is scheduled for the Sunday at 2pm

Looks like it will be Southampton in the next round of the cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,532 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Great win by Bayern Leverkusen tonight, 3-2 ding dong battle with Bayern winning it late, great game to watch.

A lot of passion from Alonso

He's the man

Reminds me of the Lovern winner . Alonso marches into the semis

Updated February fixtures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I hope Carragher doesn't see those lads celebrating like that, or Alonso will be out of the running for the job.

• Advertisement

Southampton then in the FA Cup

Cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

There's a bit of a difference with coming from behind twice and winning in extra time in a knock out cup game vs celebrating a league win against a 10 man team that gifted you the winner through a freak mix up,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Enzokk

That win was very important for Arsenal, but the way they celebrated it seemed like they were all of a sudden in pole position with only a few matches left. Realistically nothing changed for Arsenal, if we or City win all our matches they do not win the league, even if they win every match (other than the City one in Arsenal's case) 10-0.

I think there are a couple of reasons why the Arsenal celebrations rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. This is not the first time they have celebrated a important, but not critical, win like its a cup winner or league winner. Secondly, Arteta is just irritating. He does not stay in the technical area at all and his celebration for their 3rd way a little over the top. An early February league win is important, but if they lose or draw their next match they achieved nothing. That is why you are happy with the win, but don't go over the top this early still in a title race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Johnathan Tah I could see as a cheap experienced option for CB in the summer, only 12 months left on contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I just don't get the issue with the celebrations at all. Let them belt away, no? City will likely win the league so they'll look retrospectively foolish anyway as they have before. But it was a significant win for them against a direct rival. Pretty certain we'd have headed off down the tunnel after a few waves to the crowd but I don't object to their right to celebrate as they wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Correct, there is no issue here. It's bizarre how this has gained so much traction. Probably shows the power of the media echo chamber that once again they all puppet the same thing and the all consuming fan gulps it down and adds their two cents to it (like myself)

When you lose a game, leave the ground or turn off the TV, there is no need to police what people do when the final whistle is blown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Black country derby WBA V Wolves was moved to 11.45am to manage crowd trouble, some bars in and around that area opened at 5am.......

Being honest I don't think drink is the real cause for the rise in crowd trouble in England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, like, I definitely feel a stab or irritation when it happens - because they're joyful in our defeat and i'm cranky - but for it to be a conversation for more than 2 minutes, let alone 2 or 3 days, is nuts.

It's an intentional thing though - I don't think Carra, for instance, would have gone on about it the way he did if his role wasn't so specifically to stir up fan bantz. They've all got half an eye on a potential 'reaction' at all times I think. It's exhausting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I think it's ridiculous the whole hoopla over a team celebratiing.

FFS it is a game. Let the victors celebrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,548 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Origi scored for Forest, his first goal in over a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Thiago picked up a muscle injury against Arsenal

Ffs

Kinda to be expected after that long out… players after long absences always pick up niggles as they get back playing competitively. No big deal as long as that’s all it is, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,515 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

He was only back training a week,pure stupidity bringing him on. What did they expect? Should of been no where near the squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Saying he is out long term. Great player, unfortunate with injuries. If the club offer him a new contract they are mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Utd fan here,asking a question from a fantasy football perspective.

Is Conor Bradley likely to be back in at RB for the weekend and upcoming games or will he be given longer off for personal reasons do ye reckon?

I kinda wonder if he’ll keep playing at all after his contract runs out… he’s been working with the coaching team, could see him just shifting into coaching full time since he’s just having no luck with his body.

Hypothetically, could be an interesting bit of continuity if he were to stay around as a coaching figure under Alonso.

Wouldn’t bet on him playing too consistently for the next wee while with Trent back. He’ll get on from the bench, but I’d say only occasional starts over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Reckon Bradley will be relegated to FA Cup duties, shame as TAA was a shambles at Arsenal last week

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Thiago has been a disaster buy, missed over half the games during his stay with us. I understand it, it was a win-now move, hoping to be the missing piece opening deep-lying defences but it hasn't worked out. Can't see him staying, need to buy for long term with a new manager coming in. €40 million from the Saudis last summer was the play, if we had a Michael Edwards as Sporting Director it could have happened even for losing all our other midfielders.

We have a run now of playing teams to the lower end of the table. Hopefully we can use this to get players back and up-to-speed to push towards the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Pretty sure Thiago made it known that he had absolutely no interest in going to Saudi. They can't exactly force him to go over there against his will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No one was offering €40m for him. You're living in fantasy land if you think that was achievable.

The Athletic also reported during the summer that he turned approaches from Saudi as he didn't want to play over there. The Athletic are usually on the ball, so I'd take that to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

No surprise there! I can't understand the logic of bringing him on against Arsenal, he was out for almost a year and we were chasing a result, really not the match to bring him on, if it was a cup match against lower opposition that we were winning comfortably then maybe bring him on for a few minutes, not for a top of the table clash where we needed a goal.

We should definitely not be offering him a contract in the summer and wouldn't be offering him a coaching role either, I'm sure he'll pick up a lucrative contract somewhere else, possibly the MLS, the pace and intensity will probably suit him better, his body is clearly not physically able for the top level anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Football is getting a sin bin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

20m euro cost, 2 trophies, a CL final and 1 point off city

His wages would have been high though obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Just what we need, more things for referees to **** up and more endless debates over decisions.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Dissent or cynical fouls. Interesting...

Surely it'll just lead to a team time wasting for 10mins though

Why would you be against him having a coaching role in the future? He's been working with the coaching staff over the past ~6months, so if one were offered it would be on the basis of already having a sense of what he offers. To me, he's exactly the sort of player you'd see having a good coaching future tbh, similar to Milner.

As for a playing contract, there seems zero chance of that, it doesn't even seem to be a discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Dissent? Every time a ref blows the whistle a card will come out. It'll be a basketball match by half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Like every single one of those new initiatives it'll come in like a bang and then reduce to inconsistent sporadic forays after that.

No need for a sin bin, need to set a fouls per card rule, should be allowed 5 general fouls for a yellow, and 3 more for another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Christ can these morons just leave the game alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Would have liked to have had social media when the back pass rule was changed. I suspect a lot of the same replies to new possible rules would have been said at that time.

I have no problem with cynical fouls getting 10 minutes. We are guilty of it as well but just getting a yellow for stopping a break is not really enough. If there is a possible 4-2 break coming up and you take out a player, why is only a yellow fine? Maybe it should be a red but then we get into a discussion of grey when different, but similar, situations are not treated the same.

So a sin bin to stop cynical play, why is this a bad thing? The dissent thing is just rubbish though as we have seen instances where it is not even a stern look from the referee and others where a yellow flies out from the referee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thiago injury very serious. Last game for the club played no doubt. He won't be getting a new deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭klose

Klopp leaving probably means any chance of Matip getting a short extension to rehab his injury and get up and running means he’s probably done too. Shame about the two of em ending their career were like this.

Thiago probably goes down as our most disappointing signing for me. Signed as a world class player, and showed glimpses of it for us, but ultimately we didn't really get to enjoy it

Obviously we've had far, far worse signings but, in turns of not meeting such high hopes, I can't think of anyone else

Crying shame. I still remember his second half debut against Chelsea, just an endless stream of beautiful passes, I really thought we'd struck gold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Kieta for me. Fella was a machine for Red Bull and he cost €50m.

Nah, that’s definitely Keita. Thiago was signed knowing he was injury prone, didn’t work out but had some good games/memories.

Yeah, obviously Keita was a massive disappointment too. Maybe because I don't watch much Bundesliga, I personally didn't have such high expectations for him, so the reality wasn't so disappointing

I think the fact we paid his transfer fee a year before he signed showed how much Klopp wanted him, don’t think I’ve heard of that much if ever since.

His performance in the game against Everton, until Richarlison tried to break his leg was absolutely top drawer.

He was also incredible when he came back from injury for the second half of the 21/22 season. Think we won something like 16 from 18 games when he came back in after Christmas. He was immense on the run to the ECL final that year too. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,174 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

He was. And the FA Cup semi final against Man City too.

He was voted in the PFA PL team of the season in 21/22 too, which gets forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Keita and Aquaman were easily our worst signings in recent history (ignoring the Hodgson era) but we had some clangers in the 90s too.

Thiago was just a bad signing, it didn't work out but, like Ballotelli, was worth a punt for the price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement