Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Polestar 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I think 68k is about right for the standard edition, granted they should have included the Pilot Pack for that money. I’m not sure why anyone would need the Pro Pack or Plus Pack as the standard Polestar kit is more than satisfactory. It's a premium car. The Performance Pack is designed for enthusiasts. Unless you’re comparing it to a Tesla, the car has good performance figures and a big battery. I think the Polestar PS3 is overpriced, but this car sits okay with me. I think it would be the pick of the two for me.

The reason Polestars are selling in small numbers is because their dealership model is flawed, and the public isn’t ready to buy into a new brand, especially when it’s an EV and it isn’t cheap. If they sold Polestars at Volvo dealerships, they would fly. I think the Polestar PS2 is a better car than the IX40.

Post edited by n.d.os on

I genuinely don't understand why people think Polestars are poor value when you look at the EVs VW and Audi are churning out for similar money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I love the looks of this and would be keen to test drive but as others have said the pricing is too high for the market.

They must want to remain a niche player at least in Ireland otherwise it would be lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I agree with you to a point, I really like the Polestars I’ve seen. I’ve driven a 2 and had a good poke around a 3.

You haven’t used the best reference points though. VW have just had to knock five figures off some of their models to price them correctly, and the Audi Q4 must be one of the poorest value cars on sale.

Whether anyone likes it or not the giant elephant in the room for all EVs is now Tesla. The Model 3/Y is basically the new BMW 3 series, what everything else is compared against. 42k for pretty much all the toys and 0-100 in 6 seconds. Or 10k more for whopper range, AWD and 0-100 in the 4s. This is what everyone is competing against, it’s no longer BMW or Audi.

Yes. I agree with everything you said. Tesla are definitely the benchmark now and sitting comfortably out on their own as the best value EVs on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

To be frank the interiors of the teslas match none of the traditional manufacturing. They are not luxury they are not the bar for that and I don't think they are trying to be. They are bargain basement performance vehicles at a price.

So I don't think you should really place them in this bracket. They're almost like the Toyotas of old, an everyman ev at a value price whereas people will pay more for a badge and luxuries inside the cabin beyond a screen

The thing is that a lot of people will no longer pay more for the badge and the nice shiny interior trim and a bit of shadowline on the windows.

There's a lad on here going from a couple of BMW i4s to a BYD Seal. I have two friends who bought Teslas, one came from a Merc, the other from a BMW. They were trading down, not up.

The market has shifted surprisingly quickly to all the gadgets and decent power. A lot of "premium brand" buyers are no longer prepared to spend 50% more and then have to stick another 5/10/15k on in extras and packs for a decent spec. This has left some models from the German brands in a bit of a no mans land.

I totally agree that the Model 3/Y are appliances (in many cases cheaper than a Toyota) but somehow Tesla has the brand cache stitched up. Perception amongst the average Joe is that they're fancy and expensive. Kids know Tesla, they couldn't pick most other brands out of a line-up.

You haven't seen his reasons for change then... the inside of the Seal is a really nice place to be resembling more of a Mercedes style cabin than a 3 series. It's luxury. Tesla are not in that market and don't want to be it seems, volume volume volume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just had a quick mess around and it’s actually coming in cheaper I expected. I’ve said it before, but the entry level Volvo xc60 is 74k now. And as this is essentially that cars next gen. I expected a premium both for newness as well as for being a pure ev. Honestly, I’d be quite interested in changing to this, but I want to see the ex60 first. The sales model is a pox though, and massively off putting.

If I was in that price range of spending I'd have given it serious thought myself. But it's out of reach.

• Advertisement

I'm not a Tesla owner but I've always disagreed with this sentiment. I've never actually been inside a Tesla but to me the quality looks similar to my Polestar and higher than something like an ID4. Then you've got Audi where you are just paying for the badge and the cars are serious lacking. Q4 Etron cough

You're right. The PS4 actually isn't all that expensive in todays money. It's clearly higher quality than the I4 and ID7 which will be it's two obvious competitors.

It's not a luxury interior though disagree if you wish. But it's just a basic interior don't with minimal same materials. No complexity. Their efforts are spent on the OS and the software. They'll tell you that themselves. I note you keep using the term quality where I didn't use it...

I would consider the interior of a Tesla to be more luxurious than an Audi. It all comes down to personal taste. For me, less is more. The Model Y is also a handsome beast. Clean, simple, and modern.

Subjective perhaps but it's not luxury is determined by extravagant materials and design. Don't confuse form and simplicity fo luxury they're different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I really like the Polestar 4, but it's simply too expensive in the Irish Market. I think it will need a year to gain international sales and maybe the price will settle to a level where it will sell at greater numbers in Ireland.

Doesn't tally with the volume of Volvos on the road though. A car you maybe would not been buying either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭CivilEx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I think the single motor version needs to have better performance at its price point. Lots of 2.0 diesel cars have quicker zero to sixty figures. I understand this figure may not be indicative of on the road acceleration ability but it’s not great.

The lack of infrastructure to sell the cars is also an issue for me. If I’m spending this much I want to have somewhere to go if I have an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Part of me wonders about how the performance fits in with the groups portfolio. Would they allow a quicker, cheaper P4 than a XC60 at the moment? The P2 only got a decent boost when the Volvos were discontinued. Or maybe that's just how it turned out?

Volvo garages will be able to service them.

We currently have two Volvos, I’m prime Polestar material. I do think they’ve both crept up a bit too much price/value wise though.

The interior in the Polestar 4 looks fantastic. I’ve been in a pre-prod Polestar 3 and that was properly nice, so if it’s close to that then it will be good.

Sandyford will have a 4 in April, was on the phone to them earlier.

• Advertisement

Cars are expensive now. I think thats something a lot of people overlook these days. 68k is outrageous but it is what it is. New cars aren't selling so hopefully everything will settle back down in a year or two.

Which 2.0 Diesels have better performance other than maybe the odd GTD type product? Polestars have always had decent performance. Not on the very upper scale but certainly upper middle I would say for an EV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭joe1303l

A Model Y is a great EV but interior quality is definitely more Toyota Corolla than an Audi. Handsome is also a bit of a stretch. Modern/Clean/Aerodynamic but definitely not handsome. Park it beside an e-Tron GT or Taycan and you’ll see what I mean.

I one million percent disagree. I think a model Y looks more premium than a Q4 etron, inside and out. I suppose it’s all in the eye of the beholder.

Disagree. But as you said it's opinion. But I don't see how premium can mean less luxurious interior. One is clearly cost cut back minimal to save money and materials One isn't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Everyone’s gona have different opinions on the design. It’s subjective.

If somebody thinks the Model Y is nice then that’s not wrong. That’s their interpretation. If somebody thinks the Audi eTron is nice, again, nothing wrong. Personal opinion.

The Germans will have a more premium “feel” to the interior but they are no better “quality” wise than the Chinese cheap cars from Tesla or BYD any more. Polestar is up there too with a “premium” interior but it’s tight and can cocoon you in the drivers seat. Some like, some don’t.

Each car has their pros and cons. I love the minimalist interior of the Tesla and the quality of the interior is no worse than the G30 BMW parked beside it. Has the usual bmw wear on the inner materials. Steering wheel had to be re-trimmed. My i3 was the same. I don’t like the cluster that comes with the Seal or the Audi. My wife does. But make no mistake the Seal, the Tesla, the MG, Kia, Hyundai, they are all the same quality wise. But each manufacturer owner will defend their own decision for buying same.

Leathers ,alacantra, woods, metals, stitched materials have always been luxury and premium. I don't think people should be rewriting what luxury is because they prefer an interior look.

If I liked the inside of a 1998 Toyota corolla cs and my neighbour doesn't. It doesn't mean I can say the interior is premium it ain't. Where as the lexus with its stitched leathers polished wooden trims and electric everything would be.

I don't think luxury can be as subjective tbh

I completely understand your perspective. Having owned two Audis in succession before transitioning to a Polestar, I've had firsthand experience with contrasting interior designs. Audis tend to exude a masculine vibe, characterized by dark colors, copious “leather,” and faux aluminum accents. While this aesthetic appeals to many, it didn’t quite resonate with me.

On the other hand, Tesla’s interiors embrace a clean and modern aesthetic. Their infotainment systems, arguably the heart of any car these days, stand out as some of the best in the market. Polestar also deserves recognition for its well-integrated system.

Now, let’s delve into the cost-cutting dynamics within the VAG group. As cars become more expensive to produce, manufacturers face the challenge of balancing quality and affordability. It’s a delicate dance with Audi at the moment.

A few years back I compared a Tiguan against a Q3. The Q3. Unfortunately, the Q3, fell short with its black material seats, lack of a sunroof, and an overall bog-standard feel. Even the Q4 seems to lack that standout factor, despite its badge and build quality. Perhaps the big Etron models hold the key to a more remarkable Audi experience.

In the end, it’s about finding the right blend of aesthetics, functionality, and value for your hard-earned money. Car choices are as personal as they come, and I’m glad you’ve explored different options to find what resonates with you.

All fair , but the tell here is tesla will even tell your their cars are utilitarian. They are meant to be budget focused mass market so I squirm whenever someone says luxury because it flies in the face of the brands own identity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I wouldn’t class a Model 3 as luxury either. It’s as good as the mass produced Hondas, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia and any other Chinese EV out there.

Model S is the better but I still wouldn’t class it as “luxury”. After having 2 of them, they are as good as any of the mass produced Germans like Audi, BWW but it’s not luxury like a Porsche would be IMO.

Advertisement