Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,288 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

God that's really awful by Sunak, something Boris would be really proud of

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not surprisingly, the parents of Brianna Ghey have not been impressed by Sunday's shítty remarks: the dad, Peter Spooner has asked the PM to apologise.

For the prime minister of our country to come out with degrading comments like he did, regardless of them being in relation to discussions in parliament, they are absolutely dehumanising,” he told Sky News. “Identities of people should not be used in that manner, and I personally feel shocked by his comments and feel he should apologise for his remarks.

There's a chance this one could hound Sunak a tad; the Tories wanted to Other trans people, and his remark let slip a clear apathy to their suffering. Not like there aren't enough reasons to hang on the their shoulders, but tangentially mocking a murdered teenage girl is a hard stain to shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Sunak is so bad at politics. The bet, because he was caught off guard and just agreed to it, and now this.

No10 is claiming he wasn't aware she was in the commons. But that doesn't excuse his complete failure to apologise.

And then Kemi tweets effectively boxing Sunak in to not apologising as apparently it is all Starmers fault.

If those tweets weren't oked by No 10 Kemi should be fired. But then the whip should be removed from Truss and JRM etc for their little stunt yesterday.

I kind of feel sorry for him. Even his own party hate him yet he needs to carry on knowing he isn't respected or even that anyone cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

So in his flow at PMQs the PM slipped in the comment about Starmers difficulty in defining what a woman is, this in relation to some very awkward interviews for Starmer à la Sturgeon, who also became derailed when asked the "woman" question. Sunak shot through it in a flash, then Starmer does his performance embarking in pure theatre, deflecting from his own difficulty & equating the PM jibe with the family of a murdered trans person who had nothing to do with Sunaks thrust against Starmer!

Starmer was disgraceful > deflecting from himself & using the parents of the murdered victim as unwitting pawns in his party politics.

Shame on Starmer I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

How are they being used as pawns if they themselves have made comments showing disgust at sunaks insidious remark? It was literally announced they were in the audience less than 2 minutes before he made the comment so the only person responsible is sunak who obviously is unable to react to events by adjusting his prepared stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This is all just a nice Tory distraction from their current shtshow performance in government.

Better to have possible voters talking about trans issues which are not a major voting issue than have them talk about food banks, heat banks and empty or overly expensive grocery shelves.

Hospitals are literally crumbling but "look over there, a boy wants to be a girl"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is nothing but a desperate and futile twisting of events that anyone can watch for themselves. I'm not sure why someone would try and pretend up is down for the sake of Rishi Sunak.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Starmer is not strong on Trans rights, far from it, but he did nothing wrong with that interaction, it's embarrassing that people choose to deflect and defend Sunak afterwards. Have brain cells been rotted that much by the Mail, Express, GB News etc. that people actually believe this nonsense?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

"I'm not sure why someone would try and pretend up is down for the sake of Rishi Sunak"

Because people will bite

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it can be both: for sure it's a useful distraction from quantifiable problems going on in the UK economy & society, no question, but it's also something of an emblematic culmination of the Tories' policy of performative cruelty at the heart of their rhetoric. It's so engrained that Sunak couldn't help himself, even in the midst of a clear & tragic outcome from that policy to attack trans people. Sunak tried to snark about it and got rightly scolded - even if yes, Starmer's own record isn't exactly stellar either (though hey, wouldn't be the first issue Starmer tries to play both sides on).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I've seen Sunak repeat that "What is a woman" question at pretty much every PMQ's. No idea why he brings it up every week. The sort of of people who get animated about that are already in the bag for the Tories. It's almost as if he cares more about fending against challenges from the "Everything is Woke now" wing of his own party (and the Reform Party) then about actually talking about things that the average floating voter cares about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Lee Anderson really is the party's zeitgeist at the moment. I might have said Suella Braverman but Anderson's intelligence or lack thereof is more representative of the party IMO.

A FORMER deputy chairman of the Conservative Party has claimed that coal is a “sustainable” fuel because it was once made up of “trees and plants”.

Speaking at the launch of a new Tory faction – the so-called Popular Conservatives – Lee Anderson said he wanted to see the opening of coal mines as well as fracking in the UK.

The Tory MP for Ashfield said: “I am an ex-coal miner and I’m one of these people that want to see our pits open. I want to see us frack.

“We’re burning coal in our power stations but it’s foreign coal that comes over on big tankers. How is that contributing to net zero? It’s an absolute nonsense. It gets me very, very angry.”

It's not even that there's nothing in the way or innovation or dynamism, it's that they're past pretending at this point. That's how Sunak tried to present himself but he wasted no time in showing his true colours. He's on course to be almost as toxic as Liz Truss who, somehow, still has a following within the party.

Whenever I hear Sunak touting this pathetic attempt at a gotcha, all I see is the empty, greedy, venal little man he truly is.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

This kind of thing infuriates me. It's like they have half of the truth (Yes, there is a carbon cycle) but leave out the crucial part (Those trees laid down that carbon over hundreds of millions of years and we're releasing it back into the atmosphere in less than 200 years). They then claim, either ignorantly or disingenuously that they have science on their side despite the fact that they haven't done the full work. Beef farmers do something similar with the methane cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

But its the very same question that haunted poor old Nicola Sturgeon, ultimately leading to her dramatic Demise. Kier Starmer has the same problem as Sturgeon, hence his deflection anytime its mentioned, including this week when he deflected it upon the family in the gallery, absolving himself from the womanly question. Does a woman have a p***s?

Keir answers, well ehh, umm, it's..the thing is, amm, it not a question I like, hmm, kind of, sometimes, next question please!

So jave no doubt Starmer will be asked this question again and again, and if he keeps struggling this may be his downfall too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sunak utters it, Sunak owns it. Nothing to do with Starmer, total deflection attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I think posters are just trying to widen the issue and look ahead.

Starmer ought to have an answer ready when it comes to election time on what he considers a woman to be.

I hate this "my daddy was a miner and his daddy was a miner" shte. We would never get anywhere as a society if we all thought like this. Funny it appears in a lot of places with odious voting records like rural Pennsylvania and Nord Pas de Calais.

Also there seems to be a revisionist history about the mines being shut by "woke green lefties" and not the Tory god Margaret Thatcher.

It's a non-issue. The Tory right is just spewing its hate at an easy target.

We're also already in the situation we're in because we kept digging coal and pulling up oil

I can't remember who said it, but the irony about Margaret Thatcher is that she actually spoke to her rivals, be they political or ideological. The modern Tories like to fawn over Thatcher but as bad as the woman was, she actually operated like a Stateswoman and spoke to those she disagreed with. She obviously didn't always agree with them and sure did a lot of running roughshod over folk, but she didn't debase the entire institution by screaming about Woke this, or Left Wing that. I daresay if she was alive and operating now she'd be an ostracised centrist, too Woke and reasonable for the maniacs aparently incapable of understanding 100 million years ago is a long time.

I think it's a trick from the Trump playbook and I can't see it landing. Coal mining isn't exactly an industry millions are going to be queuing up to work in.

It's baffling that he's brought this up. He thinks people who care about net zero are "sad" but coal is good because it's renewable? Why would coal be good if one thinks climate change is nonsense? This is of course before we get to the point you raised about Thatcher. I suspect it's because a lot of miners are old and dying off that he thinks he can get away with it without being called out on his lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Not sure where you're getting your history but Thatcher rallied against the 1960s "permissive society". She introduced the hated Section 28 for example.

Calling Thatcher a stateswoman from an Irish point of view is quite a turnaround given how disastrous she was for the Northern Ireland peace process.

She was an eccentric English lunatic who got more crazier the longer she was in office believing she was almost immortal.

The stuff now is not a patch on the Thatcher period.

It didn't really lead to Sturgeon's demise though in the sense that even with the cack-handed handling of that prisoner claiming to be transgender nobody was seriously calling for her resignation. It may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, or, in retrospect, perhaps she realised that the net was closing in on her and her husband's questionable stewardship of the party and he jumped before she was pushed.

Trying to transpose that scenario onto Keir Starmer is a futile effort akin to a gambler backing horses with colours in their name because "Red Rum" was a great champion. There's some vague relation there but it's missing a whole lot of important context.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

They consider themselves to be almost British

The more right wing the better too for many of them

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: some below standard posts deleted

Everyone try to look shocked: Labour rolling back yet more policies that, rightly or wrongly, might be considered left leaning.

The "blue Labour" label does get increasingly harder to shake these days, I'll admit.

Labour has finally confirmed it is ditching a flagship pledge to spend £28bn-a-year on green investments if it wins the next general election.

The party says it will now spend just £23.7bn on environmental schemes over the course of its first term in office - equivalent to just under £5bn a year.

I suspect my hopes of them following through on their housebuilding pledge will be imminently dashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I consider it ironic that Thatcher took the UK deeper into the EU than any PM other than perhaps Teddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Thatcher was outward looking. Present Tories inward and isolationist.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,630 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Anyone who has any doubts about Sunak's right wing credentials need look no further. Here he is flagging up an appearance on GB News and even advertising it to all and sundry.

• Advertisement

Ide almost tune in to see what kind of questions a GB News viewer would ask.

Advertisement