Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

I see you haven’t addressed my post to you re the hostages. I’ll assume maybe you missed it so for ease I’ll reattach it as it addresses your continuous point re hostages and war crimes and frankly I’m curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Plenty of posts to that effect here showing protests against Netanyahu, inside Israel and around the world, especially in the US.

Jewish people are as empathetic (or not) as any others.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You tell me.

The text in the Tweet was interpreted as a deliberate targeting of children, despite the explosion of being a good bit away.

Suffice it to say, the children were NOT the target of that explosion but something else in the distance. What that is, I do not know.

But that doesn't matter, as the disinformation in the Tweet is self-evident.

• Advertisement

So you admit that Hamas is using the hostages as human shields and as a bargaining chip, despite the ICJ stating they should be released immediately.

Do you agree that Hamas should release the hostages immediately?

I believe both parties should release all hostages immediately.

Hamas would be very foolish to give up their only bargaining chip in this situation,

So despite Hamas committing a war crime in taking hostages, and committing another one using them as human shields, and despite the ICJ stating explicitly that they should all be released ASAP, you disagree and think that Hamas should keep them?

Wow!

Well, at least you are honest.

But then, any talk about the ICJ or international law and obligations for the IDF falls flat when that is the position. You cannot have it both ways.

The misinformation in the Tweet suggests the IDF blew up the building cause 'they are mean and bad'

However, we have no idea about the intention. The building was severely damaged and beyond repair, so it may make much more sense to knock it in a controlled manner.

Do you have any more sources on the intention behind the explosion from an independent source?

Do you mean they (Jews) should all act in unison as if they are one homogenous mind?

• Advertisement

"worse than the Nazis"

Hmmm, hyperbole much?

When the Israelis ever set up a Treblinka or Sobibor or do stuff like Babyn Yar, we might revisit your accusation, until then......

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

But you are wanting it both ways. My position is at worst equally hypocritical as yours, but seeing as Israel has been ignoring the rulings on settlements for years, I would argue yours is more hypocritical.

People who spout stuff like "they are worse than the Nazi's" show off their historical ignorance.

I have been clear on settlements in the West Bank.

They should stop and it doesn't help the situation. I wish the Israeli people after this war has ended successfully in getting rid of Hamas, elect a more thoughtful government where new settlements stop being built.

However, Hamas need to release the hostages today, without any condition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Here is an example of a poster who deliberately takes posters out of Co text and nothing you post can be taken in good faith.

It was not the beginning of the war. There are more than Enough historians who have the war beginning before that specific event. It was just the latest incident.

A sovereign state that was created illegally too, but you disagree with the expert opinion on that too, quelle suprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Well they've blown up nearly every other building, it didn't damage itself so the fact they were finishing the job doesn't make this any better.

You dont have to refer to me in the 3rd person, its a bit rude.

There are two ways to look at it.

You could say that the Jewish-Arab conflict that started approx 1920 has had multiple incidents and multiple wars. That is the long long view. (You could go back further than 1920)

Or

You could say that there have been multiple wars, wth the 1948 war being one of them, along with 6 day war in 1967, Yom Kippur War in 1973, etc...

Every historian would call the invasion of May 1948 a war in its own right as it escalated an internal conflict to a regional conflict.

Regardless, Israel did not start the war of 1948 which was my very original point I refuted, a point you actually agree with.

I don't know, that is all subjective, but it seems you are coming around to the idea that the Tweet you posted as misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Even if they do that immediately i.e. stop new settlements being built, you have still have the problem of all the old settlements...just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Those arrested under Israeli law are arrested and imprisoned under the laws of a sovereign democratic state, and that is not a war crime.

The taking of hostages by terrorists on October 7th is a war crime.

Remember my position on this from the very start has been that the release of the hostages by Hamas is the single most important thing to stop this war. The second most important is the handing over by Hamas of those responsible for the war crimes. Once those two acts happen, anything the Israelis do after that loses the cover of being in self-defence. At no time have I condoned what Israel has done, I have pointed to how it is in legitimate self-defence under international law until proven otherwise.

Leo Varadkar made an interesting point on radio this morning, when he said that if the ICJ finds Israel innocent of genocide (a likely outcome in my mind, given the legal requirements), South Africa will find itself as the country which has wrongly accused Israel of genocide.

• Advertisement

Explain to me using international law (not Palestinian propaganda) what hostages Israel is holding.

I agree, and that in of itself is a bit of a mess and I guess would be part of any long-standing peace agreement with the Palestinians.

Just a few examples. Now please tell me how Israel detaining minors and adults without charge, without informing them of the charge, without due process of justice adheres to this. In fact, as someone who shouts about international law I’m really surprised you’ve asked me this. Even stranger you would think Israeli is adhering to rights of a detainee. Tell me. Do you think Israeli prisoners and Palestinian prisoners are treated equally?

Sources;

Body of Principles for the Protection of All Persons under Any Form of Detention or Imprisonment, G.A. res. 43/173, annex, 43 U.N. GAOR Supp. (No. 49) at 298, U.N. Doc. A/43/49 (1988).

Principle 10

Anyone who is arrested shall be informed at the time of his arrest of the reason for his arrest and shall be promptly informed of any charges against him.

Principle 11

1. A person shall not be kept in detention without being given an effective opportunity to be heard promptly by a judicial or other authority. A detained person shall have the right to defend himself or to be assisted by counsel as prescribed by law.

2. A detained person and his counsel, if any, shall receive prompt and full communication of any order of detention, together with the reasons therefor.

3. A judicial or other authority shall be empowered to review as appropriate the continuance of detention.

Principle 12

1. There shall be duly recorded:

(a) The reasons for the arrest; (b) The time of the arrest and the taking of the arrested person to a place of custody as well as that of his first appearance before a judicial or other authority;

(c) The identity of the law enforcement officials concerned;

(d) Precise information concerning the place of custody.

2. Such records shall be communicated to the detained person, or his counsel, if any, in the form prescribed by law.

Principle 13

Any person shall, at the moment of arrest and at the commencement of detention or imprisonment, or promptly thereafter, be provided by the authority responsible for his arrest, detention or imprisonment, respectively with information on and an explanation of his rights and how to avail himself of such rights.

That isn't contained in any international Treaty and has no force of law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Augme

Come on. Let's not pretend they wouldn't do that in an instant if they could get away with it.

How about this which basically says the same thing which is legally binding.

International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights

ADOPTED

16 December 1966

BY

General Assembly resolution 2200A (XXI)

Article 9

1. Everyone has the right to liberty and security of person. No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest or detention. No one shall be deprived of his liberty except on such grounds and in accordance with such procedure as are established by law.

2. Anyone who is arrested shall be informed, at the time of arrest, of the reasons for his arrest and shall be promptly informed of any charges against him.

3. Anyone arrested or detained on a criminal charge shall be brought promptly before a judge or other officer authorized by law to exercise judicial power and shall be entitled to trial within a reasonable time or to release. It shall not be the general rule that persons awaiting trial shall be detained in custody, but release may be subject to guarantees to appear for trial, at any other stage of the judicial proceedings, and, should occasion arise, for execution of the judgement.

4. Anyone who is deprived of his liberty by arrest or detention shall be entitled to take proceedings before a court, in order that that court may decide without delay on the lawfulness of his detention and order his release if the detention is not lawful.

5. Anyone who has been the victim of unlawful arrest or detention shall have an enforceable right to compensation.

Article 10

1. All persons deprived of their liberty shall be treated with humanity and with respect for the inherent dignity of the human person.

(a) Accused persons shall, save in exceptional circumstances, be segregated from convicted persons and shall be subject to separate treatment appropriate to their status as unconvicted persons;

(b) Accused juvenile persons shall be separated from adults and brought as speedily as possible for adjudication.

3. The penitentiary system shall comprise treatment of prisoners the essential aim of which shall be their reformation and social rehabilitation. Juvenile offenders shall be segregated from adults and be accorded treatment appropriate to their age and legal status.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

You mean like ISIS, Hamas, PIJ, Hezbollah would drive the Jews into the sea if they could get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Augme

Yes, I agree, Israel are exaclty like a terrorist organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭dmcdona

The ICJ did not rule Hamas were in breach of anything.

Advertisement