Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

But he isn’t really that into music is he? Books are his area of expertise apparently.

The ideal person for this type of job is a actual performer or figure from that era. Tubridy knows no more than the average person in the street about music let alone music from the 50s to 70s.

His favourite band are the Beatles with The Best of The Beatles being his favourite album.

Having said all this I do recall Tubridy slapping his name on a collection of swing/crooner tunes about 20 years ago. Bizarre looking back on that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

He seems to have upped the “Nerd” shtick 1000000%.

I’d say it’s definitely a podcast. Vogue will up the dumb model ditzy gimmick. Uncle Tubs will be overly bookish and discuss things all intellectually.

High on the every episode bingo card will be. Tubs doing a “is that what the kids are doing now” bumbling idiot bit.

In his Insta post he states that Vogue is teaching him how to hold a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

He might finally learn what an Airfryer is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The writers of Partridge will get realms of new material if they follow Tubridys rise and fall, or fall and rise.

A story line where everyone else in the BBC is asked to take paycuts but Alan tries to negotiate a secret deal to get a payrise would be hilarious. He could do roadshows for dettol or something as a cover for the payrise.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Yeah the spin will be one to watch alright - I'd say it will be all about tugging on the heart-strings

'When I reconnected with mammy recently, she told me how much she missed me and I felt so bad about that'

On a separate note - I tuned in for a minute a few weeks ago to the start of Steve Winwood's 'Valerie' - That's grand, I like SW (or 'dad rock' as Duggy might call it)

Track ends and the waffler comes on - 'Hahaha, I didn't even know, hahaha, that he was, hahaha, saying Valerie' (refing "Call on me, Valerie")

'Kin hell (I thought to myself), that'll go down well in the UK'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

I don't have any strong opinions on Vogue Williams, she done well making a personal business brand for girls/ladies who like nice things, and good for her.

I am bemused though as to how this linkage with Tubs works for her brand. Is there Stockholm syndrome at play amongst those who need to hear Tubs and she's using Tubs to reach older ladies who were passive listeners to his RTE shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

You're giving him a bit too much credit there, it will more likely be something like:

"I met Mammy. We had chicken and chips. She was sad. She said she missed me. Then, I felt bad. So i want to go back to Ireland. In conclusion, my mammy is sad and I am sad and I feel bad, so I want to go back to Ireland."

The Mail intern will then spin it in to something more worthy of a "bookish" 50-something

If Virgin Radio tap him on the shoulder and tell him "out" it's also likely he'll try to spin a narrative that England has changed for the worse since the days of Wogan, while simultaneously ignoring Norton's success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Lot of fantasy stuff going on around here. It’s very strange to read. Lot of projection going on I’d imagine.

That's been Tub's problem, his projection onto things, becoming the Toyman, now the Bookman etc...

A good radio presenter/host with an ear for the public doesn't need a gimmick. It's not vaudeville where people had signature acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Some poor analysis of the recent JNLR on RTE. Tubridy's old slot is down slightly (-4,000) for Q4 2023 (think JNLRs are mainly quarterly) but up 12K year on year. RTE leads with the dip as a headline but doesn't seem to realise why there was a dip. (Perhaps they were all too busy celebrating Christmas.). Even so, dumping Tubridy seems to have had a positive effect. That 12K increase will cause problems for any remaining Tubridy supporters who want him back. The article didn't include nasty things like data or how the population being surveyed has changed. Loads of fluff quotes from happy RTE management though. A few more JNLRs like this and RTE will be asking "Bryan who?".

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2024/0208/1431012-dip-in-listeners-for-radio-1-9am-slot/

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

No disrespect to Vogue at all, she doesn't pretend to me something she's not, but if Tubs is such a bookish, intellectual type, why is he teaming up with her to do a podcast?

It's a bit like Mary Beard announcing a new show where she teams up with Joey Essex to talk about history.

It's so tedious. Ryan, come out. Just come out and admit that behind closed doors, you stick on a tracksuit bottoms, a pair of runners and veg out on reality tv to unwind. Admit that your favourite film is Lethal Weapon. Admit that your favourite books are autobiographies of self made millionaires who own penthouses all over the world and spit at peasants. Admit that the man you most admire in the industry is Piers Morgan. Throw all those unread novels into the charity shop and just admit who you are man!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

He won't be getting in at The Beeb, they don't want him! and I have that on good authority from connections there. He did not produce a positive impression on the 'go to' people the last time he was at the Beeb, that it is a flat No! for consideration. Also, his show on Virgin is fast becoming the laughing stock of the entire UK radio industry.

You can be sure the BBC will be looking at internal AND external talent, but that Radio 2 service most certainly has NOT been set up as "BBC Radio Ryan Tubridy"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was only joking! I know there's no way that amateur is going to get a job at the BBC.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The fact he went to Virgin tells you all you need to know about the BBC situation.

He has links and you could literally say he has had lengthy try outs with the BBC. If they were mad to get him he'd have walked straight in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

I don’t think the bbc would sell him a slot though

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ever hear about the chap crying to a vaudeville performer about how he lost his family in a car crash and how utterly devastated he is and the vaudeville act said he knew exactly how he feels as he once lost his suitcase 😀

• Advertisement

Poor figures of 5% in Dublin for Q102, a radio station once holding a 12-14% market share. The Tubridy effect may see this JNLR number dwindle further back to a crisis 3% year on year, particularly if News UK continue to shoehorn this RTE has-been into a midday music slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Tork

We now know that Radio 1 has a lot of listeners who really don't move the dial. Also, if you listen on a physical radio in some regions outside of Dublin the choice of stations is pretty poor. So in some ways Tubridy was broadcasting to a guaranteed or a captive audience.

It's very different to the markets in Dublin and in the UK where there is more choice. I think we're going to be finding out this year just how popular RTE'S golden boy actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

Okay, since everyone is gung ho criticising Tubridy, let's say you were a Careers coach, what do you think he might be good at?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You know in Disney World?

and they have guys and gals dressed up as famous furry Disney characters from over the years…

yeah, that’s what he could do…

he’d get to do some more pointing too… it’s a classic gig for a pointer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

• Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

An actor.

He could get typecast though.

Scrooge. Pinocchio. Walter Mitty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If he got proper writers and sold a self deprecating comedy documentary movie about BOUNCING BACK. It would be huge

It's been done, The Sound of No Hands Clapping by Toby Young. A good read, he wrote it himself.

• Advertisement

I see him as a bank clerk, maybe working his way up to manager. Or a civil servant in the Registry of Deeds. I have this vision of him rubber-stamping documents.

Advertisement