Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, I believe that the entire road surface, from clontarf to city centre, is still unfinished. It'll need to be raised about two inches once all the work is finished.

You can see it clearly at the new drains along the route, the drains have vertical bars to stop debris from entering the drain, but there's a huge gap between the end of the bar and the road surface, making them totally useless for now.

That work should bring the road level with the cycle path, which will reduce the rollercoaster feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

So I had a head on collision in Fairview, with an electric scooter. At the dangerous bend by the foot bridge. I spotted him, and braked, but he was travelling outbound, on the right hand side, so no way to avoid someone that was travelling inbound on the left of the path. Injured my arm, but both lucky that it wasn't worse. I spotted him as he came into view where the yellow X is, and collision happened when the blue X is.

Further along in North Strand, usual van blocking the footpath by the shop/post office/pharmacy. Woman stepped into the cycle lane to get past, without looking, and almost got taken out by two bikes. Unusually, the loading bay on Bessborough Avenue was free, so that could have been used by the van.

And who thought the best place for a electrical junction box was on a dangerous bend?

In other news, I spoke with engineers from Clonmel Enterprises and DCC today. From March, they are trialing some methods to protect the lane at Westwood, restricting outbound traffic turning right into Westwood. They also said the contractor would be making the temporary surface better. But I'll believe that when I see it. It really is in a bad state outbound for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

sorry to hear about your accident - people "salmoning" in the wrong direction is one of the reasons i prefer 2-way paths. It's somewhat inevitable on a road like Fairview where it's difficult to cross to the other side to use the correct direction (particularly if your only going a short distance up the road).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

5 cyclists just need to surround that car for a good half an hour and disrupt them to send a message

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭MarkN

If that forces motorists to jam up the right turn after the arches, that will be an even bigger mess. Westwood should’ve been made sort a bigger car park with better access as part of their business going forward to be honest.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's common at the moment, due to the state of the outbound road. But if you are travelling in the wrong direction, at least be on the left hand side to avoid possible collisions! I'm with you on the 2 way paths. Easier to overtake as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah, stay left seems obvious, but then you have the council putting in sections of 2-way path where you're supposed to keep right just to confuse people. Also scooterists, in my experience, haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Just so people are aware, this bloke is a total plonker. Ignore him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

funny that, cycling back from gym at lunchtime, just before your spot there a really fast e-scooter brushed past me by about 6 inches, not good.

westwood is a constant mess and holds up buses. it's really unfair on those travelling by bus to have to put up with this because of people wanting to use a bloody gym. i hope they sort it out sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭MarkN

Kids also learn to swim there from all over north Dublin and driving is one of the only options. It also hosts parties for kids. And well, being in the gym helps keep people out of hospital. There should be another entrance however.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Kids also learn to swim there from all over north Dublin and driving is one of the only options. It also hosts parties for kids.

and what???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

Cycling and getting PT to the gym also keeps folk out of hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

Perhaps Westwood could sort out driving lessons for the parents while their kids are learning to swim. People think that it’s okay to queue in a bus lane to turn left. If we had a proper police force, they could reeducate them.

There are also plenty of nearby housing estates that they could park and have a short walk. And yes, I know walking and crossing roads with little people is a pain but that doesn’t give anyone the right to block a bus lane, cycle path or footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Westwood should be warned that they are in breach of their planning if they can’t manage their car park properly that they will tell them that they have to remove the carpark and it can only be used for blue badge, bikes and drop off only.

Also can we not slap a big yellow box all over that area outside on that path and bike lane.

WW is right on 3 main bus corridors and at the DART station, including the orbital N4 and soon to be great bike lanes. There is literally no reason to drive there.

DCC engineer said there will be section of the lane painted before everything f is finished, such as red sections at bus passenger crossing points. So yellow box outside Westwood is a good idea. Unlikely to be obeyed I’d imagine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

They seem to be considering every option instead of the Gardai doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

The gardai hardly have capacity to manage every yellow box junction in Ireland. If it was a junction with a Luas line or a junction of two major bus routes, then yes they should, but it's an entrance to a gym. I don't think the guards give a damn and you can hardly blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I've brought my kids to swimming lessons in WW. I parked in the overflow, didn't block the bus lane, and walked the 60 - 120 seconds it takes to stroll from there to the gym, walking by countless cars blocking the path and road with drivers sitting behind the wheel glued to their phones while going absolutely nowhere and causing havoc for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

They should create a booking system or gold pass for parking in the main parking area with a much higher level of accessibility parking spaces. If fit and able bodied people can't take public transport or simply walk those other extra 2minutes from the overflow, or God forbid actually walk or cycle to the gym, then there's no hope for us!!

With all the improvements happening around the city, the area that is considered "city" will massively expand. There might be a psychological change there where people won't expect to be able to drive to Westwood. Let's hope.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have cycled there with my 6 year old (also cycling) for swimming lessons.

There is also like half a dozen bus routes within 3 minutes walk of there and the DART!

Also there are plenty of other pools around North Dublin that do kids swimming lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

There have been some traffic measurement boxes around Marino the past 2 months, I wonder are they related to the work in Fairview? Anecdotally, I have seen a lot more traffic go through Marino while I have been home, some are really wild with the speed they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Issue with the DART this morning, couple of trains emptied at Clontarf and everyone walking to Fairview to get the bus instead. Busy enough on the new footpath through the park, so one sap decides to walk along the new cycle path and, of course, all the lemmings follow. Carnage at the end of the Malahide Road as bikes are joining the path which is full of dopes looking back towards Clontarf to see if a bus is coming.

No matter how foolproof you make something, there'll always be a bigger fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Unfortunately still see idiots flying along on their bikes on the path - ignoring the new cycle lane less than a foot away. Add to them breaking red lights, as well as the cars doing the same (and driving on paths!) and it’s hard to see how anything is used properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I agree that the design of that part of the cycle lane is an absolute mess, it's a danger to everyone who uses it, and i'm surprised there's not more accidents there... The best way to have designed it would be to remove that tree and align the section past the footbridge... There's many who use that cycle lane as a two way lane and i don't blame them for it... And the reason why it's not properly designed by removal of the trees? chronic nimbyism! And by the same locals who will tell you the area is a mess..

I’d hate to see more trees go myself. And I know the design team faced a lot of opposition to having any of them chopped. Engineers seemed oblivious to the idea that it’s a danger spot when I mentioned it to them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In an ideal world, they would be correct, as people should only be going in the correct direction and thus there shouldn’t be an issue.

However that ignores human nature and so called desire paths. Hopefully people will stop going the wrong way when the outbound side is complete, however I fear that many will prefer to be on this side and continue to use it wrongly.

That is why I wish they had designed it as a two way cycle path, they would have had to design for this then and it would have made for a higher quality cycle path. I hope they learn from these mistakes, but then they haven’t from the mess up on Griffith Avenue either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Trees regrow, and the whole debacle over residents almost chaining themselves to a bunch of trees has meant that what's built there now is a massive compromise on what the engineers/designers would have wanted... the safety issue at the footbridge being prime example and the fact that many people are using it as a two way lane...

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

I thought it had come out that most of the people campaigning for retention of the trees weren't local, with most of them living on the Southside of the city? Or am I misremembering it?

The outbound side was a nightmare for cyclists for years. The section from the optometrists to the footbridge was an absolute death trap; the perfect combination of crappy painted cycle lane, idiots swerving in last minute, more idiots opening their doors into the cycle lane without watching for cyclists, slower cyclists who insist on mounting the path to get in front of the queue only to hold everyone else up cos there's no room to overtake (only to repeat the process at the next set of lights which you were only stopped at because you couldn't overtake the slow fecker earlier) buses and taxis pulling in without checking, saps wandering into traffic on match days, crushed plastic pint glasses everywhere on a Monday morning after matches, lazy pricks legging it across the road instead of using the footbridge, schoolkids jostling at the bus stops.......

If I'm going any further than the Malahide Road turnoff, I used to go through the park (especially if I got caught at the lights at the Fire Brigade station on the Nth Strand/Annesley Bridge). I don't blame anyone for using the lane on the park side of the road, the other side is like a meat grinder nightmare.

• Advertisement

Nah chopping down more mature trees because people don’t know how to use a cycle lane is not the answer. I’m sure they’ll figure it out in due course.

Advertisement